Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Okay... how about only the ones you're willing to admit in public lol!

One of the funniest things I do is that I have periods where I get addicted to eating the same exact thing every single day for one meal. Sometimes even the same thing for lunch and for dinner (although both meals different). Not out of necessity, but because I WANT to, and actually look forward to whatever it is that I'm craving daily. That is... until I finally tire of it, which can literally take a month or more. My dad has the tendency too. I don't feel it's a learned behavior, as I'd done this (at times) for decades before I ever saw my dad do it. Okay, that's actually pretty embarrassing but I had to share.

Surely I'm not the only one here with anything to say?? :D

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Okay, that's weird. :)

Let me start by saying I had a successful career as a scientist. I can talk probability theory, experimental design, biochemistry, research meta-analysis, etc., but... science was a day job.

My biggest quirk is that I am semi-secretly a total mystic. I have numerous oddball delusions. I am superstitious. I am always on the lookout for communication with the "Spirit World", as friends and family call it. I love movies about ghosts, monsters, other dimensions, demons, etc., etc. Even the greatest ontologists can't agree (to MY satisfaction) about what reality is, so I tend to believe anything and nothing. The Rickeybird might be the ruler of the Universe. May as well be, as far as my situation goes.

Now you know!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I still listen to CDs in the car! (What, he still has CDs?) Most of my listening is confined to the 70s, 80s, and a smattering of 90s. Interestingly, CD technology is on the wane, and players are not standard on many new cars!

Sigh.... I'm old enough to remember the usurpment of the 8-Track and Cassette. However, Vinyl never died, and turntables + brand-new albums are readily available. Some say vinyl has higher fidelity than other media, however some of my higher-frequency hearing is shot.

But I am not a total luddite as my iPhone is loaded with tunes. I only listen to them when out for a run.

Great topic Julie!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Interesting topic Julie!

I am forever cleaning and organizing. The 2 tasks most people hate and dread, I love and get a total rush from seeing chaos turn into order. I become ever more irritated by clutter, disorder and lack of symmetry the older I get. I just love moving stuff around and having it function better/easier access in a new location/application or generally look nicer. It challenges my brain to relocate/repurpose/refinish things we already have for new and better uses. Almost a creative outlet for purposeful creativity instead of making crafts and things we don't really need. It's also like the magical "off switch" for my brain, which runs in a million different directions at all times, but when I'm cleaning or doing a project it's almost like total peace and quiet upstairs to be focused on one task. I also think it may have been somewhat of a learned behavior as my mom is very orderly and clean too, as was her mom (my grandma).

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Oh, girlfriend, I am WITH you on that stuff. I like a very minimalist environment. One focal point per room, stuff like that. It feels good to my BRAIN to organize stuff.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great quirks so far :D. C'mon Al, how about just ONE?!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Interesting topic Julie!

I am forever cleaning and organizing. The 2 tasks most people hate and dread, I love and get a total rush from seeing chaos turn into order. I become ever more irritated by clutter, disorder and lack of symmetry the older I get. I just love moving stuff around and having it function better/easier access in a new location/application or generally look nicer. It challenges my brain to relocate/repurpose/refinish things we already have for new and better uses. Almost a creative outlet for purposeful creativity instead of making crafts and things we don't really need. It's also like the magical "off switch" for my brain, which runs in a million different directions at all times, but when I'm cleaning or doing a project it's almost like total peace and quiet upstairs to be focused on one task. I also think it may have been somewhat of a learned behavior as my mom is very orderly and clean too, as was her mom (my grandma).

By chance, are you looking for a working vacation in Central Florida?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Oh, girlfriend, I am WITH you on that stuff. I like a very minimalist environment. One focal point per room, stuff like that. It feels good to my BRAIN to organize stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one then! You just be a very visual person too. Open space and little visual clutter puts my mind at ease. I feel very anxious in spaces with stuff everywhere. I need open and clutter free to think clearly!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Crap. The RB command me!
OK, I am a closet OCD person. I have to s**t, shower and shave exactly the same way every morning. Not so much the actual showering, buuut shaving - so many strokes in preciesly the same direction. Te towel must be held so, with so many wipes of each body part. I kid my self that its because I am saving time by being efficient. I drive to work exactly the same way every day, part highway, part service road, part residential, into NYC. The highway speed is exactly timed out, the lights are timed exactly and woe betide anyone or anything that gets me off the pace. Geri hates driving with me. Stuff like that. I keep it in check and actually at work I am the paragon of organized disarray. But inside there is a voice saying ' touch the doorknob 3 times before turning it'. I just choose to ignore it, unless it does me some good.
So- one peek inside the head of wrench13. Scared? I know I am.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
By chance, are you looking for a working vacation in Central Florida?

Lol, no vacations. But seriously, if you want to PM me some pics of your space and maybe I'd have some suggestions.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Crap. The RB command me!
OK, I am a closet OCD person. I have to s**t, shower and shave exactly the same way every morning. Not so much the actual showering, buuut shaving - so many strokes in preciesly the same direction. Te towel must be held so, with so many wipes of each body part. I kid my self that its because I am saving time by being efficient. I drive to work exactly the same way every day, part highway, part service road, part residential, into NYC. The highway speed is exactly timed out, the lights are timed exactly and woe betide anyone or anything that gets me off the pace. Geri hates driving with me. Stuff like that. I keep it in check and actually at work I am the paragon of organized disarray. But inside there is a voice saying ' touch the doorknob 3 times before turning it'. I just choose to ignore it, unless it does me some good.
So- one peek inside the head of wrench13. Scared? I know I am.

You sound like my Dad! Some of my early memories are watching him screw on a bottle cap, unscrewing, and finally replacing! On and on....

Doesn't sound like a touch of OCD prevents you from leading a full life, Al!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I am afraid of heights! Terrified!! Oddly quirky considering my "office" is at 39,000 feet. Aircraft are a safe-haven for me and looking downward is pleasurable. But place me at the edge of a tall building......

Oct 24, 2016
I cant have food touching or mixed unless its meant to. Like Sheperds pie is fine but I'd never mix corn/veg with mashed potatoes on the plate. Hot food can't be near cold and I either use 2 seperate plates or use those divided plates meant for kids haha.
I also eat one thing on the plate at a time (ie veg, then protien) and turn the plate counter clockwise.

At work when I set up my station I have to have it set up a specific way and the popsicle stick with Vaseline has to point left.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
3NTPwwm.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think we all must have a touch of something... some alphabet soup of disorders ...OCD, PTSD, BPH, ASAP, LSMFT ( that last one should date you), but we are functions enough to be parronts!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

My bed: I have strict protocols for sleepytime!

1- The base sheet and top sheet must fit snug at the foot of the bed. I cannot stand having my feet stick out into the open. (I have no other foot fetishes!)

2- There must be three pillows! I go to sleep on my left side, so there must be one for the head, another just behind my back, and the last one in front to clutch. Of course I wake up in an entirely different position!

3- When working I stay in a hotel on average 3 nights per week. Never touch the filthy, disgusting, and seldom changed comforter. Most hotels have 3+ pillows, however one chain provides just 2. So, I have to raid the "extra comfort" closet on each floor in search of a clean third pillow. At times it means searching many floors! Interestingly, I seldom check for bed bugs and have never had that problem. But I DO inspect the sheets for cleanliness!!

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
I can't stand clutter...everything has its place. I am an organizer!
I vacuum 3 to 4 times a day. We missed a flight a few years back because I had to vacuum before leaving the house. They have never let me forget this one.
Toilet paper must unroll over the roll, if someone places it rolling under, I have to flip it.
Chairs have to be pushed in under the table.
Now Colors...
Kleenex boxes have to match the room it's going in.
I have to match my panties to the color outfit I'm wearing...drives me nuts if they don't. But I always wear white socks.:33:
When shopping for paper towels, I search for the prettiest print, no ugly paper towels.
When hanging my laundry. I match the hanger to the outfit.

Lol, you would think I would have better things to stress about.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I am SO relating to MOST of you...

A quote...

“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain.

Most Reactions