Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Member
Parrots:
GCC: Yoshi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: London, UK
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
nattyd is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

So i got yoshi 4 months ago - going onto 5, and at first there was no way for me to get him in his cage at night - I figured out a way to get him in now, however he absolutely hates it. He will spend hours jumping up and down on his perch and making noise trying to get my attention to let him out. He has toys in his cage but doesn't make the slightest attempts to even play with them. At this point I'm not exactly sure what more i can do, and whilst i dont want to I'm contemplating whether he'd be happier in a facility where he can fly around all day with other birds - anyone else experienced this issue?

Last edited by nattyd; 06-18-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,247
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,209 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

Do you have toys outside of his cage that he can play with and do you praise him when he does? Have you modeled playing with the toys and pretended to have fun with them in front of him? Have you experimented with a variety of toys? My cockatoo is weird about wood-thickness. She prefers thinner wood that she can easily snap without much effort and isn't a fan of all of the larger wood toys intended for a bird her size.
I am not saying to get small toys for larger birds (that can have its own hazards depending on the materials) but some birds like shredding, some like chewing, some like bells, some like foot toys, some like gnawing etc---Plastic c-links are a huge hit with mine.
Most birds don't like being in their cages.
How big is his cage and have you considered its location? It is possible that your cage is too small. Also, some birds feel vulnerable if all sides of the cage are open/exposed to the surroundings (it is often suggested that at least one side be against a wall). Some birds enjoy looking out a window, while for others, this never allows them to fully relax.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
ChocolateChipCookiez (06-18-2019)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 AM
Member
Parrots:
GCC: Yoshi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: London, UK
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
nattyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Do you have toys outside of his cage that he can play with and do you praise him when he does? Have you modeled playing with the toys and pretended to have fun with them in front of him? Have you experimented with a variety of toys? My cockatoo is weird about wood-thickness. She prefers thinner wood that she can easily snap without much effort and isn't a fan of all of the larger wood toys intended for a bird her size.
I am not saying to get small toys for larger birds (that can have its own hazards depending on the materials) but some birds like shredding, some like chewing, some like bells, some like foot toys, some like gnawing etc---Plastic c-links are a huge hit with mine.
Most birds don't like being in their cages.
How big is his cage and have you considered its location? It is possible that your cage is too small. Also, some birds feel vulnerable if all sides of the cage are open/exposed to the surroundings (it is often suggested that at least one side be against a wall). Some birds enjoy looking out a window, while for others, this never allows them to fully relax.
He doesn't actually play with his toys, i've sat on the ground next to him playing with his foot toys but he doesn't seem interested despite having a range of different toys (shredding, rope, wooden etc.) One side of his cage is covered against the wall so i dont think its the exposure and i've tried moving his cage various of times but no luck, he still reacts the same & i dont think its the cage size as its dimensions are bigger than what is recommended.

Ive pretty much tried everything thats been recommended - I've been waiting to see if he'll grow out of it

Last edited by nattyd; 06-18-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,247
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,209 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

It could be a matter of time--Honestly, my too came to me hating toys and it took her a solid 6 months to take an interest in any of them--except the c-links which she liked after probably 4.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM
itzjbean's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Boo - whiteface cockatiel DOB 2011. Ember - pastelface pearl cockatiel, DOB March 30, 2018. Rue - pearl cockatiel DOB 2012.
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Iowa, USA
Thanks: 2,816
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,567 Posts
itzjbean is on a distinguished road
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

How often is he caged throughout the day?

Sounds like he is out of the cage so often that he sees the cage as a restrictive, bad place when he may hardly spend any time in there?

What is his 'out of cage schedule like? Where does he eat and drink and forage throughout the day? You need to start putting him in his cage for these important times so he realizes it's not a prison, but a safe place for him.

What does his cage look like? You mention he goes hours and hours around on his perch, I assume he has more than one, but it's important that these be comfortable perches, also, varying in form like a natural wood branch one, a couple soft rope perches, etc.

If he's never trained to be in his cage throughout the day, he won't like it ever, so he needs to spend some time in his cage it sounds like ot curb that fear of it.
__________________
- Jackie, Boo , Rue & Ember

See more of my flock on Instagram!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itzjbean For This Useful Post:
SassiBird (06-18-2019)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Member
Parrots:
GCC: Yoshi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: London, UK
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
nattyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

Quote: Originally Posted by itzjbean View Post
How often is he caged throughout the day?

Sounds like he is out of the cage so often that he sees the cage as a restrictive, bad place when he may hardly spend any time in there?

What is his 'out of cage schedule like? Where does he eat and drink and forage throughout the day? You need to start putting him in his cage for these important times so he realizes it's not a prison, but a safe place for him.

What does his cage look like? You mention he goes hours and hours around on his perch, I assume he has more than one, but it's important that these be comfortable perches, also, varying in form like a natural wood branch one, a couple soft rope perches, etc.

If he's never trained to be in his cage throughout the day, he won't like it ever, so he needs to spend some time in his cage it sounds like ot curb that fear of it.
I put him in his cage at around 8/9pm and let him back out the next day at around 2/3pm - It may be that I'm giving him too much freedom however i actually kept him in his cage for about 3 weeks (I know it sounds bad), someone had told me it would help him become acclimated to his cage but it didn't work.
He goes in his cage to eat and drink but other than that pretty much just chills outside and rips newspaper which i have laid out on the table to help the clean up process - he also has newspaper inside his cage. & Yes he has 3 perches, a normal wooden one which came with the cage, a rope perch and an actual tree branch type perch.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
Parrots:
GCC: Yoshi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: London, UK
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
nattyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
It could be a matter of time--Honestly, my too came to me hating toys and it took her a solid 6 months to take an interest in any of them--except the c-links which she liked after probably 4.
I guess ill have to wait it out! I'll get him some c-links and see if he takes a liking to them
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Kiwibird's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thanks: 8,487
Thanked 16,329 Times in 6,369 Posts
Kiwibird will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

This sounds more like an issue of being overbonded to you and not so much about not liking his cage. I guess in a way he doesn't like his cage because he wants to be with you, not because its an inadequate cage or too small or doesn't have things to entertain him. Guaranteed if you put a camera on him while you were away, he wouldn't be bouncing around all day long. He does that because he wants your attention and has likely learned that set of behaviors is a good way to get it. Conures are one of the species more prone to overbonding issues, which can be difficult to correct. There is no quick fix here. Toys, foraging, probably even food, none of it is as interesting as YOU. That is the root of the problem here IMO and where you need to start when trying to find solutions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwibird For This Useful Post:
noodles123 (06-18-2019)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Member
Parrots:
GCC: Yoshi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: London, UK
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
nattyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwibird View Post
This sounds more like an issue of being overbonded to you and not so much about not liking his cage. I guess in a way he doesn't like his cage because he wants to be with you, not because its an inadequate cage or too small or doesn't have things to entertain him. Guaranteed if you put a camera on him while you were away, he wouldn't be bouncing around all day long. He does that because he wants your attention and has likely learned that set of behaviors is a good way to get it. Conures are one of the species more prone to overbonding issues, which can be difficult to correct. There is no quick fix here. Toys, foraging, probably even food, none of it is as interesting as YOU. That is the root of the problem here IMO and where you need to start when trying to find solutions.
I actually don't think this is the case because he's not tame - He's still quite wary of me and doesn't even let me touch him yet. Only steps up when theres sunflower seeds involved!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 3,247
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,209 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: 4 months and he still doesn't like his cage

It could be that he just wants to be out of his cage when you are home though----My "too" used to yell "come here" and ten run away repeatedly lol---This was when she was starting to tolerate me, but still didn't trust me...It was like "I want to be near you...I think", "but DON'T touch me" mixed with "I'm bored."
You should try using your laptop camera to see what he does when you aren't around--- if you livestream it to a private youtube account, you could use any smart-phone to check up on him as long as you email yourself the link to the private video.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Conures

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doesn't like to poop in cage :( TacoNTiki Conures 5 06-07-2015 06:05 PM
4 months and Raku still doesn't trust me BriansAWildDowner Conures 3 10-11-2014 10:23 AM
Iago doesn't want to come out of his cage Iago Conures 8 09-30-2014 02:05 PM
Doesn't like his cage robear1991 Behavioral 4 07-07-2012 08:16 PM
New GCC doesn't want to leave cage aufde Conures 5 06-12-2012 08:08 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.