Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information

General Parrot Information Post here for general parrot related topics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Boo's Avatar
Boo Boo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Boo is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssssss196
Healthy Parrot Poop

Looking at poop is one of the best ways to tell if your parrot is sick, but how do you know if your parrot's poop is normal or not?

I had this problem with my cockatiel a long time ago when I first got him, and I only had budgies before so I didn't know what his poop was supposed to look like. At first it was dark green and a little watery (because of stress and a new environment), but I wasn't sure. His previous owners couldn't even tell he was a boy, so I didn't know if he was sick or not. I couldn't find any pictures online of healthy cockatiel poop, so I had this idea.

What if we made a log of what healthy poop looks like for different species of parrots? That way, people who had any doubt could refer to this to see if their bird's poop is normal, especially if they've just gotten a new parrot (as I've noticed a lot of people were getting new birds here).

I don't know if this has been done before, but I haven't seen one yet.. so if you guys think this is a good idea and would like to contribute, PM me with a picture of your parrot's poop and the type of parrot and I'll put them all into one post.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
suebee's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thanks: 962
Thanked 496 Times in 398 Posts
suebee is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 sssss2394
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

lol i do not think my camera phone will give a detailed picture, for most parts if poop comes out water, white and the colour bit i'm happy, as depending on what i've given nut, will depend on the poop she drops. if she has had too much rich/fatty foods the colour part of her poop looks a creamy consistancy!

and yes it is a good idea, as poop is a good indication of the birds overall health, same with humans

but her poop changes throughout the day not even gonna mention her morning poop! lol
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Thanks: 43
Thanked 645 Times in 487 Posts
Pedro is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/5 sssss1583
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Here is a link that will explain all about poop & how to identify if there is a problem.

Poopology - Identify Bird Health Problems through their Droppings

Yes i think it's a good idea. But most pics would be of healthy poops & some would be hard to identify like suebee has said due to what the bird has eaten.

But i must admit i go on a poop hunt almost daily just to keep up on the health of my birds. Anything that might not look right i keep a close eye on until i am sure all is OK.

Also i wonder how many of you have a first-aid kit put together for emergencies???
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pedro For This Useful Post:
Boo (02-27-2011), suebee (02-27-2011)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
suebee's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thanks: 962
Thanked 496 Times in 398 Posts
suebee is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 sssss2394
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Quote: Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Here is a link that will explain all about poop & how to identify if there is a problem.

Poopology - Identify Bird Health Problems through their Droppings

Yes i think it's a good idea. But most pics would be of healthy poops & some would be hard to identify like suebee has said due to what the bird has eaten.

But i must admit i go on a poop hunt almost daily just to keep up on the health of my birds. Anything that might not look right i keep a close eye on until i am sure all is OK.

Also i wonder how many of you have a first-aid kit put together for emergencies???


what should be in it?? and yes great idea
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Boo's Avatar
Boo Boo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Boo is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssssss196
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Oh that is true lol . But I just thought if I got a lorikeet I would be surprised at the poop lol! And I worry a lot .
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
Parrots:
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Thanks: 43
Thanked 645 Times in 487 Posts
Pedro is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/5 sssss1583
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Of course you'd get a surprise with a lorikeets poop. They plaster the walls,floors & anything they can aim at. LOL. Nectar eating birds do. Seed eaters have a very firm dropping & then the fruit eaters have large but formed wettish droppings.

Personally I think it's easier for you to determine what your fids are fed & what is normal for you. Yes the droppings tell us a great deal but you also need to know what is normal & what isn't. As already explained different foods can alter the color & texture of a dropping.

When i look at my birds droppings anything that is very watery or black tarry sticky or dark green then i panic, something is wrong & i have to take the bird to the Vet.

By being able to identify a problem early & you feel that there is something not normal for your bird you can act immediately. Most of these links i have printed out & put into a folder or I have booked marked them so i have them on hand should i have a problem, sure does help.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Boo's Avatar
Boo Boo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Boo is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssssss196
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Quote: Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Of course you'd get a surprise with a lorikeets poop. They plaster the walls,floors & anything they can aim at. LOL. Nectar eating birds do. Seed eaters have a very firm dropping & then the fruit eaters have large but formed wettish droppings.

Personally I think it's easier for you to determine what your fids are fed & what is normal for you. Yes the droppings tell us a great deal but you also need to know what is normal & what isn't. As already explained different foods can alter the color & texture of a dropping.

When i look at my birds droppings anything that is very watery or black tarry sticky or dark green then i panic, something is wrong & i have to take the bird to the Vet.

By being able to identify a problem early & you feel that there is something not normal for your bird you can act immediately. Most of these links i have printed out & put into a folder or I have booked marked them so i have them on hand should i have a problem, sure does help.
Ohh makes sense . But my cockatiel doesn't always have consistent poops... but he's never really had consistent poops . Sometimes they're dark green and tarry, but then they go back to normal, and sometimes they're watery but once he gets some water he's fine.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
MikeyTN's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
"Willie"&"Lola" B&G Macaw, "Dixie" LSC2, "Riley","Scooter","Max","Lucinda","Nico","Romeo","Juliet","Jorge"&"Camilla" Tiels! "Goth"&"Glam" keets! "JoJo"&"Gracie" Eclectus, "Malachai" Black Lory.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antioch, TN
Thanks: 2,723
Thanked 6,336 Times in 4,112 Posts
MikeyTN is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
3/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssss12030
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

But is he on seed diet only with nothing else given? It really depends on what your feeding like it was mentioned above.... I guess im just so used to my birds I can tell when something is wrong with them by poop or how they react. But never actually think about it....lol. its refreshing to talk about your bird's droppings....lol.
__________________

"Lola"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Parrot Parent's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My house
Thanks: 42
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Parrot Parent is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssssss212
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Quote: Originally Posted by suebee View Post
lol i do not think my camera phone will give a detailed picture, for most parts if poop comes out water, white and the colour bit i'm happy, as depending on what i've given nut, will depend on the poop she drops. if she has had too much rich/fatty foods the colour part of her poop looks a creamy consistancy!

and yes it is a good idea, as poop is a good indication of the birds overall health, same with humans

but her poop changes throughout the day not even gonna mention her morning poop! lol

Haha My Sun conure's morning poop is something to be feared! I actually have to take him to the toilet each morning really fast before he lets it out!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Boo's Avatar
Boo Boo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks: 56
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Boo is on a distinguished road
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/5 ssssss196
Re: Healthy Parrot Poop

Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyTN View Post
But is he on seed diet only with nothing else given? It really depends on what your feeding like it was mentioned above.... I guess im just so used to my birds I can tell when something is wrong with them by poop or how they react. But never actually think about it....lol. its refreshing to talk about your bird's droppings....lol.
Well he's mainly on a seed diet now, but he does get veggies as often as i can give it to him, which hasn't been often recently.. I've been eating rice and meat for the past two weeks! I have no idea why. My parents just decided to stop cooking veggies lol! But I got some today and he did too. And LOL. Tell me about it .

Quote: Originally Posted by Parrot Parent View Post
Haha My Sun conure's morning poop is something to be feared! I actually have to take him to the toilet each morning really fast before he lets it out!
LOL! Uh oh... I'm getting one soon .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Parrot Information


Search tags for this page
conure poop dark
,
green dropping in parrots
,
healthy parrot poop
,
healthy parrot poop,pictue
,
how often does a parrot poop
,
how parrot poop look like white
,
my bird is pooping water
,
normal parrot poop
,
parrot droppings pictures
,
parrot feces
,

parrot poop

,
parrot sicness poop
,
parrots poop problem
,
photos of lory parrot droppings
,
pics of poop of an unhealthly sun conure
,
pictures of sick bird poop
,
sun conure poop
,
what does healthy macaw poop look like
,
what healthy parrot poop looks like
,
what should conure poop look like
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brown poop? Iago Conures 4 01-07-2011 06:53 PM
The Healthy Bird Cookbook Chris Winkler Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet 5 01-02-2011 05:11 PM
Eat healthy lil buggar! Beilana General Health Care 3 09-29-2010 11:21 PM
More healthy fat/protein ideas? Rrrma Congo & Timneh Greys 4 08-23-2010 01:29 PM
More poop talk TexDot33 Conures 18 07-12-2007 07:10 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2009, Parrot Forums.com