Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community (http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/)
-   -   Question about non-stick cookware (http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/80950-question-about-non-stick-cookware.html)

noodles123 06-12-2019 07:50 AM

Re: Question about non-stick cookware
 
I don't know how long the fumes stick around exactly, but I wouldn't bring my bird around for 24 hours or so...Just to make sure things had time to really air-out. Again, that is just a guess.

Kiwibird 06-12-2019 09:29 AM

Re: Question about non-stick cookware
 
Teflon fumes don’t linger long after the source (overheated Teflon product) is no longer above the temperature required to off gas. I wouldn’t worry about residual fumes. I also wouldn’t inflict the Teflon pans on your mom. They need to go to the dump. Teflon is acutely toxic to birds, but more and more studies are coming out showing it is also toxic over longer periods of time to humans as well. When the pans chip and flake and leech into the food through use, those chemicals linger and poison the body. They’re now linking Teflon exposure to cancer, endocrine and reproductive issues in humans. Sadly, much like what’s happening right now with glyphosate and Monsanto (now merged with Bayer), Dow chemical/DuPont/3M, the makers of Teflon products, have bottomless pockets to fund their own biased research and line the coffers of watchdog organizations to get them to discredit smaller independent studies and deem their unsafe products as “safe”.

HannahandSunny 06-13-2019 01:18 AM

Re: Question about non-stick cookware
 
Do you guys think Teflon products would also be harmful for small animals, such as my Guinea pigs?

munami 06-13-2019 02:37 PM

Re: Question about non-stick cookware
 
If research suggests it's toxic to humans, I imagine it's toxic to any animal. Just birds have much more delicate respiratory systems can have fatal instant effects. It's just too easy to overheat a pan.

noodles123 06-13-2019 05:26 PM

Re: Question about non-stick cookware
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HannahandSunny (Post 815721)
Do you guys think Teflon products would also be harmful for small animals, such as my Guinea pigs?

It is more toxic to birds due to their respiratory systems. That having been said, it is toxic to humans as well and it can cause "Teflon Flu" when overheated. Even small mammals are far less of a risk than birds, but due to their size, I am not sure if they are worse-off than larger mammals. That having been said, people use it around human infants (who often come out around 6-10 lbs) and if it were as dangerous to human babies as it is to birds, the company would definitely have to post a warning.

In general, it's bad news for all animals (humans too), but it isn't going to be as fatal for all animals.

I know I didn't answer your question really, but that is my thought process.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.