gofundme?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Hello, I'm thinking of starting a gofundme to help with Lincoln's vet bills and I was wondering if such links are allowed to be posted on this forum? I didn't see anything about it in the rules but I thought it would be safe to ask before doing it.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Okay, thank you! I'll avoid posting it here.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I think the 'vibe' is that any post directing people to another forum is a No-no. Therefore, gofundme posts which lead people to another forum are not on.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
This is the indirect reference I found.
Please know that this forum never allows any links and/or sites that have a 'funding' option, including 'gofundme'.

We were severely burnt in the past, therefore this strict rule will always be enforced.

We are not doing this because we are mean. Just clarifying. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You could link put a link on your Facebook page or something and give out that link...I think....?

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I don't see anything against it in the rules posting:
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/72806-parrot-forum-rules.html

Perhaps PM a moderator to check.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. At the very least, you should sell some of those neat toys you've made to help raise money for the vet bills. :)

I would like to but I fear that Lincoln may have something contagious and I wouldn't want to spread it around... especially since PBFD isn't completely out of question yet.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
You could link put a link on your Facebook page or something and give out that link...I think....?

Do the forums allow posting Facebook pages?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Whether it is allowed, I am not sure, but people have done it before....

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
GoFundMe links are never permitted within ParrotForums. While we all empathize with Owlet and Lincoln's plight, past experiences led to the need for rigid protection for all members.

Guidance is found in Member Rules Section 13, Links: http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/72806-parrot-forum-rules.html

However: "Occasionally using the name of other sites or even posting a link to a pertinent thread or a specific item from another site is acceptable, but repeatedly referring to other related sites is considered SPAM and will not be allowed. :45:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Scott, was that like a *cough cough, wink wink* moment (in bold)? LOL
Just wanting to clarify...
It sounds like an occasional reference to a site like Facebook is permissible within certain circumstances.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Scott, was that like a *cough cough, wink wink* moment (in bold)? LOL
Just wanting to clarify...
It sounds like an occasional reference to a site like Facebook is permissible within certain circumstances.

Correct, of course! :) Impossible to characterize every conceivable example of link, so we prefer members exercise good judgement and reserve the right to edit as required.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Facebook links are allowed, but not if they lead to a FB page where one is selling anything. To sell products on PF you must be a Supporting Vendor.

To make it clear in the rules, I will add the part about GoFundMe. Thank you for that quote, David, I knew it was somewhere but it should also be added into the rules:)

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Maybe if Owlet were to post a title of the gofundme thing in such a way that it were searchable on that site to be able to find the Lincoln vet bills one? So no link to anything, but thise in the know would know how to find it then? Or is that too close to the line?

Eta: I just assume the fundraising site has a sear h feature.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I am still thinking Facebook is the way to go, as it would be one link to Facebook..and a fund-raiser isn't technically a product, so, I am thinking that as long as it isn't posted repeatedly, that you would be okay.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I appreciate the help everyone and thank you for the suggestion Noodles but I feel like I would be jumping through loopholes if I were to do that and I don't want to damage the sites trust in my honesty.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I appreciate the help everyone and thank you for the suggestion Noodles but I feel like I would be jumping through loopholes if I were to do that and I don't want to damage the sites trust in my honesty.

Maybe PM a moderator for clarification. They may not be able to speak in absolutes over an open forum, but they could probably give you some specific advice. Scott has been fairly involved in this discussion, so perhaps he could provide more details...I feel like this is a grey-area and that they can't probably tell you "yes, do it", but that they can tell you what you cannot do. Scott's bold text in his reply above is a bit telling (in my opinion). That's why I suggest that you contact him. Heck, you could send the same message to both Terry and Scott and that way, you will know that you aren't crossing any lines.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

Minor loopholes! May also save your companion’s life!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Well... Owlet is surely not going to say anything about this... but I for one would like to invite anyone and everyone who has followed this thread (WINK WINK, NUDGE NUDGE) to go check out Owlet's Tumblr page which has some VERY cute posts with videos of Lincoln and Apollo being ridiculously cute...

plus a post with a link that is quite relevant to this thread. (COUGH COUGH)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/80933-happy-bird.html

Most Reactions