Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Parrots:
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel)
Thanked 2,182 Times in 843 Posts
Owlet is on a distinguished road
medium pak-o-bird for cockatiel?

Sponsored Links
I got Lincoln a pak-o-bird awhile ago and it's great for his size but I was wondering if I could use it for Apollo until I get a more appropriately sized carrier. Obviously they won't be in it at the same time. Would it be too big for him? Would the perch that's in it be okay? It has vet tape around it for additional grip but its pretty thick. I could just buy a carrier when I pick him up but I'm not a huge fan of the ones we sell even though there's nothing wrong with them... I'm just picky!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Parrots:
Sunny a female B&G macaw; Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey; All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,779 Posts
ChristaNL is on a distinguished road
Re: medium pak-o-bird for cockatiel?

Why not?
If the little guy has no issues with the thicker branch (and if he does you can always add a smaller one)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristaNL For This Useful Post:
EllenD (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road

My only thought is how he might use the space. Cairo has a Birdie GoGo, which he likes a lot. I have noticed, though, that when the bag is on my partner's back and we're walking, Cairo will balance on the perch with his beak shoved up against the mesh. Like, he just puts his beak against the mesh and rests there as we go along. Pretty sure it's for balancing.

But if you don't notice such behavior with Apollo and if he manages to balance fine (my partner does have a very bouncy and swinging walk), then I don't see why he can't chill with Lincoln in their pak-o-bird!

*He grew up in a Malay-speaking family, so we have to respect his name and preferred pronunciation

@cairothedino on Instagram
Old 12-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Parrots:
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel)
Thanked 2,182 Times in 843 Posts
Owlet is on a distinguished road

There's not guarantee Lincoln will even get along with Apollo at this point (and im equipped if its worse case scenario to handle it) so they won't be packed together until I know for sure they'll get along (and even then idk if I would pack them together)

Lincoln seems to do fine in the pack on his own but I don't know how Apollo would do since he's still young but I guess we will see. I will test him out in it before I actually leave and if it comes down to it I can buy a temporary carrier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Owlet For This Useful Post:
charmedbyekkie (12-08-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 5,188 Times in 2,197 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road

I don't see why not, I have 2 medium-sized that I use for my birds, all of which are smaller than an Eclectus and one of which is a Cockatiel...Duff rides by herself at all times, and she does just fine in the medium...she has lots of space, yes, but that's not a bad thing at all. I too wrapped the perches in vet-wrap, but not even my Green Cheek has ever had an issue being inside them...In fact, my Cockatiel at this point is the only bird that actually goes in a Pak-O-Bird, because she's the only bird that hates the Aviator Harness and does nothing but pick at it every second it's on her, no matter where we go...So she does just fine...I bought the medium because I thought the size small might be too small, or just large enough for them but with no extra space to move around in, etc., and it worked-out just fine...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers
Remove Ads