New future Parrot

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi all

So this last few month I have completely fallen in love with Parrots, not just Quakers like my little Xander and its such a joy having one as pet and looking after him, good and bad ill always be 100% committed and always be happy having him in my life everyday and spending time with him and playing with him and just being around him and enjoying him and his personality.

I have always had 2 of any type of animal and they have lived there entire lifespan with me and I have always treated them like family which they are, I think its nice for them to have company for the short periods of time when I'm not there and even when I am, its just a quirk or how I'm wired.

In maybe 6 month I'm estimating when I'm more experienced with my first Parrot, my Quaker, I'm going to add another Parrot to our family as I have the time and patience and love to give and eventually I want to own 3 and have my own little flock. I just love everything about them.

I have seen so many amazing beautiful birdies and I think id like a different Parrot to a Quaker even though I just adore them and I need some advice on what would be a good choice.

I don't want anything as big as a Macaw but something bigger than a Quaker, maybe something a similar size to an African grey or a little smaller. Something not much louder than a Quaker at full screech but something loving and playful with character that isn't aggressive because I don't want Xander getting hurt but to have company and feel part of a flock. I do like Cape Parrots and Amazons but don't know much about them. Any advice would be appreciated so I can research for when the time comes.

Thank you x :greenyellow:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, as the resident Amazon Snob, and a true believer in: "The World is a Better Place because Amazons are Here." It is fair to say that in my World; its only Amazons and always Amazons! Amazon's Rule!

That all said, Amazons represent the largest family of mid to larger Parrots in the World. As a family they cover the full cross-section from smaller body size to very large, which laps into the weight class of mid-size Too's and MAC's. They also cover the largest land and island mass of all Parrots. Plus, the largest number of Countries!

I could go on and on regarding their many plus and minuses, and every other aspect of Living with and Loving Amazons, but the Amazon Forum is filled with that data base! Read and enjoy your travel into Amazona! IMHO: Start with the Two Stickies at the Top of the Amazon Forum!

I assure you, that you will learn more regarding 'Parrots' as a general topic by Reading with Detail the Amazon Forum, then you could possibly believe.

NOTES:
- Regarding what you want to do - it can work or total fall apart.
- As you get into this size of Parrots, their ability to out-live-you becomes a serious reality!
- Their extended life must be factored into your choice: Younger Parrots or older rehomed Parrots!
- Additional Parrots result in either less time per Parrot or much less Time with other 'things' in your life!
- Parrots of different sizes demand far more over sight than Parrots of the same size!
- The more Parrots you have, the more restricted your life choices become!
- The more Parrots you have, the larger percentage of your Budget they control!
- The more Parrots you have, the larger percentage of your home they control!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Unfortunately (and fortunately), aggression among parrots isn't necessarily based on species, it is based on individuals. They each have their own personalities (and life experiences).
If at all possible, I would try to find a rescue, breeder, or store near you where you can interact with several birds over the next 6 months. You will likely find an individual bird that you love, you can research further from there, and that makes your decision very easy.

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thanks guys i will go read the forums and i know a Parrots behaviour is an individual thing i just wanted to know peoples experience owning a certain type of Parrot.

I will definatly let a bird pick me this time, maybe visiting a shelter would be a good idea but there arnet many near my location and im not sure if it would break my heart seing neglected Parrots or id want to save them all.. Id prefer a baby possibly and putting my time into raising it properly. Time, love and attention wont ever be a problem for any animal i own, its who i am and i need them in my life thats why i want to add another. Id never rehome unless i was old and too sick to take care of them and then id make sure they went to someone who would really take care of them.

Hopefully a new bird and Xander could enrich each others lifes because i know it would mine but thats what im aiming for. They would both get one on one time but also do group things together which we all would love would just be so wonderful, ill go read the forums some, thanks for the advice guys, i think ill go the breeder route and see if i get picked, ill be doing this properly for me and the bird and thats why im waiting 6 months before i get another x

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
The benefits of going through a rescue are:
You can visit as many times as you want and get to know the birds.
You get to know adult birds who have already hit maturity.
You know exactly what you're getting.
Many of these birds are out around other birds and tolerate/enjoy their presence.

Many birds in rescues haven't been mistreated or abused. Sometimes owners get sick or pass away. MANY great birds in rescues. Nothing wrong with going either way, though! I have two rescues and one from a breeder. It's also my understanding that there are a lot more rescues in the US than other places, so I get that too.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Nice, best of luck in this exciting new endeavor. :heart:

You are very brave. I have fallen in love with the GCCs, however I do not want to rock the boat with Levi. All is well in my home at the moment. Too many unknowns adding another little fluff ball to the mix.

Please keep us posted.

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Psychocircus, what are your rescue birds like and with eachother. Was it hard bonding with them? X

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Psychocircus, what are your rescue birds like and with eachother. Was it hard bonding with them? X

One is easily the most affectionate bird of the three. She loves attention and wants scratches from anyone and everyone. The trust took about two days. (which is less than the baby I got from a breeder).

The other is a work in progress, but his history is very questionable. With that being said, he has warmed up to us a ton in a relatively short amount of time. He will easily take treats from us and scratches from us. We are working on stepping up.

Everyone does great with each other. I wouldn't say any of them are best friends, but 2 out of 3 are flighted and we have no issues with aggression.

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi guys.

Ive been looking at so many different types of Parrot for my next one and well i just love them all it seems. Its so hard to choose.

Although i do want a bigger bird, i think im gonna leave that a few years and get a bigger one as my 3rd and final down the line and when i have my dream bird room wonderland sorted out ��

Im thinking maybe a Conure next, they are so cute and seem really loving and playful i think him and Xander would get on being a simmilar size and simmilar in nature. Xander is so tame and nice natured, he neved bites and is ok with everyone, if he doesnt want to be handled by someone else he kinda just offers a warning but hes so nice natured, i think he will be fine with another bird and i can always enforce that good things happen when they are together.

Been reading the forums but id like to know what Conures are like from you guys who have them or have had them and what the different types of Conure are like.

P.s. I will be getting a male baby from a respectable breeder.

Thankyou x

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts