A quick reminder...

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Please everyone, always be super cautious around your birds, especially if they are small!

I had a scare today with Iggy (a tiel) when I was cleaning cages and I stepped back, only to accidentally partially step on her! I rushed her to the vet and she is fine, but it could have been much worse than some soreness! Please always tread lightly and be sure to watch where you are walking when your birds are loose.

I slipped up today and got distracted, when I would normally check thoroughly before I step back. Don't make the same mistake as me, you may not be as lucky!

Also, when in doubt, always take your bird to the vet. The bill may hurt, but not as much as losing your friend.
b9c634f96522072ae96078f6019081bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So glad Iggy was uninjured! Thanks for a heartfelt reminder. We do so much with our fids it is easy to become "human" and take their small size and mobility for granted.

Beautiful pic, she looks so regal!!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
So glad Iggy was uninjured! Thanks for a heartfelt reminder. We do so much with our fids it is easy to become "human" and take their small size and mobility for granted.

Beautiful pic, she looks so regal!!

Thank you, so am I! I truly feel that we do take it for granted sometimes, and it can end up with accidents like this- which unfortunately don't end as well usually.

Haha, thank you! It's merely good timing though, I'll have you know moments after she did this...
74d2eac2d785ed8404d2988a337ecfa4.jpg
dacdeee561315cb8373c2fd875ee2130.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Beautiful, wonderful reminder, always welcome.

In her pics, she looks to me to be saying... "Oh, no, you di'n't!"

Precious.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We live in a free roaming, and free flight home. Very early-on, one learns to do the Parrot shuffle, when moving around the home!

Welcome to the shufflers!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
We live in a free roaming, and free flight home. Very early-on, one learns to do the Parrot shuffle, when moving around the home!

Welcome to the shufflers!
Normally I do shuffle! I was just very distracted today, and of course with my luck, this is the one time she was behind me.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Casey, although flighted, also *loves* walking around on the ground! She's 16 1/2 years old and I've always had to be cautious when she was out! It is quite hilarious though to watch her walking around on the bottom of her cage (which so happens to be the floor covered by paper - it's a walk in aviary) and I go in and open up the door. Instead of flying out, she just walks on out of her cage and starts 'foraging' around the room for food! Of course, once fresh food is placed in the cage, she wants back in and usually climbs up the sides of the cage to try and figure out how to get back in! (We can walk out of the cage, but we can't normally walk right back in?!?!?! lol)

Glad that Iggy is fine! :) Always good to have a reminder!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Casey, although flighted, also *loves* walking around on the ground! She's 16 1/2 years old and I've always had to be cautious when she was out! It is quite hilarious though to watch her walking around on the bottom of her cage (which so happens to be the floor covered by paper - it's a walk in aviary) and I go in and open up the door. Instead of flying out, she just walks on out of her cage and starts 'foraging' around the room for food! Of course, once fresh food is placed in the cage, she wants back in and usually climbs up the sides of the cage to try and figure out how to get back in! (We can walk out of the cage, but we can't normally walk right back in?!?!?! lol)

Glad that Iggy is fine! :) Always good to have a reminder!

Iggy isn't lucky enough to have a walk in aviary, but she does the exact same thing on the floor, which is what she was doing when this happened! Any dropped piece of food is precious. Dust bunnies are also tasty even though she could go eat real food right from her bowl. I'm on mobile so I can't really look, what kind of bird is Casey? Iggy is a cockatiel, yet the clever little thing has figured out how to open and close her cage doors. And hey, that's bird logic for you!

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I'm so glad you were still alert enough to not fully step down. Close call indeed!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Phew! Close call for Iggy, and happy to hear no one sustained any trauma for it.

Mango n' Mochi are free-flighted (which bears its own risks - I posted way back on February 1st describing how I'd nearly lost Mochi through the front door on a cold, snowy night), but despite that just as Monica said, they love to waddle around on the living room carpet!

Because of that, we're always careful to look DOWN first before stepping anywhere randomly, when we know the birds are out but out-of-our-sights.

Iggy is a handsome fellow, by the by - what a nice crest he has!:yellow1:

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I'm so glad you were still alert enough to not fully step down. Close call indeed!
Me too! I'd be wrecked if I accidentally killed my poor bird. She's practically my kid.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Phew! Close call for Iggy, and happy to hear no one sustained any trauma for it.

Mango n' Mochi are free-flighted (which bears its own risks - I posted way back on February 1st describing how I'd nearly lost Mochi through the front door on a cold, snowy night), but despite that just as Monica said, they love to waddle around on the living room carpet!

Because of that, we're always careful to look DOWN first before stepping anywhere randomly, when we know the birds are out but out-of-our-sights.

Iggy is a handsome fellow, by the by - what a nice crest he has!:yellow1:

Thank you, I am too!

Iggy isn't free flighted, but she can fly, and she loves to waddle around as well. You're a bird, you should be flying!!

I always do, I was just so caught up in thought yesterday because it was a bad day, and I forgot myself.

Iggy is female actually- but thank you!! She's really become quite beautiful, a far cry from the scrappy little baby she was. I'm going to insert a picture below where her crest is even more magnificent haha
46e27b6d293a95bcea27981dfbc83289.jpg

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I suggest being barefoot at home especially if kids are out.
I'm normally just in socks. I came home and immediately changed cages rather than settling down and taking my shoes off yesterday though

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Casey is also a cockatiel! Little instigator that she is! LOL

Most Reactions