10 year old meyers

marisad6

Jun 28, 2013
:green:I have recently adopted a 10 year old meyers. he is skidish when hands go into the cage to try to get thim out and then if i get him on my fingers he will jump off and freaks when the other hand comes forward to scratch his head( he likes it scratched if his whole body is held) i would like him to go with me all around while perched on my finger or shoulder but am not sure how to desensitize him from jumpuing off and getting skiddish. HELP
otherwise he is quite sweet

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Congrats!!

How long have you had your little one?
Trust takes time, check out the training section on target training and clicker training.
Slow movements and gently talking to them helps too.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
:green:I have recently adopted a 10 year old meyers. he is skidish when hands go into the cage to try to get thim out and then if i get him on my fingers he will jump off and freaks when the other hand comes forward to scratch his head( he likes it scratched if his whole body is held) i would like him to go with me all around while perched on my finger or shoulder but am not sure how to desensitize him from jumpuing off and getting skiddish. HELP
otherwise he is quite sweet

He just afraid right now. I wouldn't expect him to do anything he isn't comfortable with. Watch his body language and if he backs away from you, he is telling you he isn't ready. Move slow, talk low and sweet and over time you will get his trust. Try and figure out what his favorite treat is and use it to your advantage. You can do this through the cage bars, always let him approach you and then reward him for doing so.

Last edited:

Most Reactions