2 yr old b and g

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
im about acquire a b and g macaw from.a friend.whos going through a divorce. Ive done a lot of research and this will be my first. Hes a very tame and easy going friend. Being that hes tame and handled.regurlay, is it manageable for a first time macaw owner?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I would say because this is your first one, no. Especially since it hasn't gone through maturity yet. Once he hits 6 years or so he will turn into a terror that you have to work with and tame right otherwise he will control you and do serious bodily damage.

If this is your first bird you should stick to smaller birds that can't bite your fingers/face off.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
If you are drawn to macaws then I would definitley recommend a conure, they are basically mini macaws. Or if you really want a macaw you could go for a true mini macaw such as a hahns or yellow collared.
If you tell me what you are looking for in a parrot I can help you find the perfect one for you.

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
Ok thanks! Im just looking for something that is beautiful, friendly and is a good talker other day i was waiting to get unloaded (im a local truck driver home every night) and i was having a bad day so i tool a walk to a pet store. They had an african grey that just talked my ear off and made me laugh and totally changed my day. I also like the fact that they will probably out live me and will be our 3rd child.

When i say itz my first.bird, it is since.ive been on my own. Growing up we had cockateils and finches up until abiut 10 yrs ago. I know the macaws are a big step up from them. With my stingrays, whatever i am guides to will be my pride and joy and would like a people bird that is good w kids. Which is another reason i liked the b and g because they have young ones and is used to them

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
I sort of rambled there but.basically i want a beautiful bird w lots of color that will talk a lot and good w people. All my fish ive ever been interested in have been native.to south america so i would like thbird to be from there as well

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well the b&g at maturity will not be good for kids because they can snap a finger off or break an arm.
There are lots of birds that are known to be good talkers but not all actually ever learn to talk, even some grey don't ever learn to talk. If you are looking for a bird that kids can handle then I say don't get anything bigger than a hahns macaw because anything bigger can do serious damage. I think good birds for you would be conures, hahns macaws, cockatiels, pionus, or poicephalus.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well if you want a bird from SA then you will have to stick to amazons, mini macaws and conures and pionus. But again some birds never learn to talk so that can't be a criteria for you.

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
Ok thanks. So my idea of a bird that is already handled being a good thing may be a little skewed? Its.best to acquire one very young or after it matures?

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
hi, there! blue crown conures talk quite a bit. bcc are very smart and affectionate for a family.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well I would like to see you rescue a bird and most of the ones in rescues are either past maturity or just starting it. It's better to get one afterwards because you know what their personallity is like, a bird past maturity that likes you will always like you but a bird that is before maturity and likes you may not like you anymore after maturity. So I'd say get an adult.

All babies are sweet and love to cuddle but once they hit sexual maturity they become evil monsters that test you and if you don't know how to train them during that time they will become aggressive and dominant causing harm to you.

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
Ok thank you. Honest question. Ive already committed to this bird. It puts me in atough spot but i dont want to do anything dumb. Its 2 and if he matures around 6 that would give me 4 yrs to learn. Im really looking forward to him or any bird now. Is it feasible or just flat out undoable?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
It is possible if you are dominant. You can't be scared of the beak and you have to be able to handle the bites. But I really think you should find someone that is experienced in macaws to take him because a large macaw at maturity is a lot to handle and you will get bit, a lot.
I'm more of a conure person then a macaw guy so you should try pm some of the members on her that have macaws, I really like MikeyTN, you should ask him some questions because his b&g is 6 I beleive and he is very knowledgeable.

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
Thanks a lot cdog. I appreciate your honesty. Ill look him up and try to.get his input.as well. In the mean time ill start searching my.areas for rescues or possibly craigslist. Im not a big fan of the big pet.store.chains. Id rather help out a small business

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Yes never buy from petsmart or petco, they get their birds from awful bird mills and all their birds are sick(most petsmart/petcos anyway). You should look into rescues/shelters because their are so many birds there that need homes, and a lot of them are very nice(I have met many rescue birds that love people). Even getting a rehome is better than buying from a store/breeder. I got my pair as a rehome and I love them to pieces!

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
We currently have a 2.5 yr old B&G. We completed the weaning process ourselves and, as raising a child, it is a continual learning process.

I would not give up on having the B&G. They are awesome, intelligent birds.

MAC is at the point where he is developing a personality. It's awesome to watch him grow and try new things. He found his "whistle" voice a few days ago. He had to let everyone know about it. No windows blown out though!!:D

There are days when he's like a spoiled 2 yr old. OH, sorry, HE IS!!

It's an awesome experience. If you are dominant, not afraid of the beak and up to the challenge, go for it. He will make an awesome feathered companion.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
All birds are such individuals, even a macaw can be a good first bird, but only IF you are really committed to learning and is a true family effort. Many times people get a "starter" bird, then decide to "move up" and then no longer want the first bird which isn't really fair. If you are truly interested in the macaw, take time to get to know him without bringing him home. All birds have very demanding needs, so look realistically at whether you have the time and energy to devote to a parrot. How old are your kids? Do you own your home? Do you have the space? ect.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Don't let no one talk to out of a macaw if u want it. If you did the research and you have the time money for vet visits toys and food do it. My first was a scarlet macaw. Yea there beak can scare for. But mine goes everywhere with me. Other people can hold him. I do a lot with him. In let other people handle him. He's very tame. He's 1. So don't let other people talk you out of it because it's your first bird. If your going to gave him a good home and a lot of out of the cage time and handle him go for it
It can be the best thing for you in the macaw. People didn't think I was ready for a macaw but I poverty everyone wrong. So if you can meet the standards for him get him.

Most Reactions