20 Year Old Citron - General Info

nerdsrus45

Dec 3, 2012
Florida
Parrots
Citron
I have a 20 year old Citron cockatoo that was given to me by a co-worker on Friday, 11/20/2012
The bird was not abused or anything, and is very friendly.
To me, she is very friendly and loving, cuddling up to my neck and wanting to be petted.
But for my wife and daughter, she raises her crown and opens her beak slightly.
She has not bitten anyone, but is the raising of her crown an indication that she is being territorial or aggressive?

Last edited:

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Tiki, Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Cookie, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo
Was the co-worker a man or a woman? It sounds strange, but I had a moluccan 'too who was freaked out by men, as she was only around women for most of her life.
Your Citron may be wary of females, or just wary of strangers.

Cockatoo

Dec 2, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Angel, Umbrella Cockatoo
Tiki, Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Cookie, Bare-Eyed Cockatoo
Yeah, she may just be unused to females. She'll learn soon enough that your wife and daughter are friends, as long as they give her attention and talk to her.

If she raises her crest or hisses, just give her a moment, but don't let anyone touch if you think she'll bite.

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
I have recently adopted a cockatoo and from what little I know is that his previous owner was a man. He looks for me and reaches out to step up but he lunges at my partner everytime he is near the cage. He likes to sit on my arm and bury is head in my armpit. He SCREAMS if I leave the room. I am not sure how he is during the day when I am at work

Most Reactions

Latest posts