Behavioral Advice

Amber98

Sep 26, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrots
Hi, everyone. I am in desperate need of some advice please. I have two quaker parrots, Yoshi and Louis. I adopted Yoshi when she was 9 months old back in March 2020. She was the sweetest bird, and she became attached to me very quickly. She was very intelligent and was able to learn many words and commands within a couple weeks. In April 2020, I adopted Louis. He was 1 years old at the time. After a few months, the two bonded. Yoshi stopped talking and became less attached to me, which I expected would happen since she now had a mate. Last year, Yoshi laid eggs for the first time. None were fertile. This past May, she laid 4 more. Again, none were fertile. Ever since laying the eggs, she has become very aggressive. She has her moments when she comes to me for attention, but then she snaps within moments without any warning. She was also plucking under her neck and chest area, but that only seemed to happen right before she laid the eggs. It has calmed down a lot now. Louis is still very friendly and affectionate. He loves his afternoon cuddles. However, Yoshi gets upset when Louis tries to get attention from me and even attacks him sometimes. I have tried to regain Yoshi’s trust and I have been very patient with her, but it’s getting harder to care for her. It has now gotten to the point where she literally flies after me to attack when I go anywhere near their cage, which makes it very hard to change their food and water or clean their cage. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I love them both very much, and I want to provide the best home possible for them. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts