3 month old vs 16 month old

Marie9032

Jan 19, 2014
Hi everyone I am learning about African Grays before I decide to start looking for the perfect fit. I am still unsure if a bottle feed or one that is a year or more is better for us. Any suggestions or advice wold be great thank you.

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Barankin (2006 - 2013)- peachface lovebird
Tihan - Yellow naped amazon (6+ years)
I'm not sure if a 3 month old eats by himself, but personally, I would prefear a younger parrot.
At 1 year old, some already have bad habits and sometimes it's difficult to get rid of them, but if you don't know how to take care of a baby parrot, I would suggest getting an older bird (or wait until the baby one has 6 months or so)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They don't get bottle fed, they get spoon or syringe fed. Which can be problematic if you don't know what your doing. So I would suggest one older. A older bird can be trained but it just take love, time, and patience.

Motogordo

Jan 14, 2014
Media
Delanco, N.J.
Parrots
double yellowhead
chaco bluefront
yellow nape
Jan.26, 2014

I would definitely recommend getting the baby. This way it will grow accustomed to you and both of you will bond better. If the baby is still being weaned, then I recommend letting the store or owner continue the feeding until the bird is ready to go home and eat regular seed. If the store feels you are confident and they teach you the feeding process then you can make the decision whether or not you want to take the bird home early. You must know exactly how to use and administer the formula. Have fun with your new bird.

Gordon

Most Reactions

Latest posts