30 day old babies....

s.ellington

May 19, 2014
Need advise..i have two baby lovebirds, 30 days old, mom and dad are good parents but not tame at all...would like to tame the babies but not sure how to go about this...i am afraid to pull the babies, unsure if it is to soon for regular seed. I also have a extra cage but unsure if the timing is right to remove from the nesting box and put on their own....need advise badly!!!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome!
In order for any of the members who breed to help you, they will need to know what kind of birds you have. Please don't remove the babies before you know for sure they are eating on their own! Babies of different types are weaned at totally different times.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm guessing you have lovebirds since this is the lovebird forum? I don't have lovebirds, but I have linnie chicks that are 4 weeks old and I know linnies don't wean until 8/9 weeks.

OP
S

s.ellington

May 19, 2014
byRe: 30 day old lovebird babies....

Yes they are...still in nesting box, very big, have lots of feathers....should i handle them and offer seed? Remove them? Not sure at this point....one keeps sticking his head out when i come talk to them but mom hasn't pushed him out of the box and is still feeding....need some real advise here!!!

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
I'm not very knowledgeable, especially with young lovies, but lovebirds are generally weaned at around six weeks old. If the parents are doing a good job (which you said they were), you can probably let the babies stay with them for a little while longer.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They should be fledging very soon! They would be out of the nest box then you can remove the nest box. IF you wanted to tame them in the first place, should of try co-parenting when they were younger, to get them used to being touched by hands. Not that it couldn't be done now, but it would be harder to do if you haven't had any sort of interaction with them period. Do not remove them from the parents, even once out of the box!!!! They need to learn to eat on their own as they still need their parents to feed them. Once you see them eating at the food dish on their own, then you can remove them to their own cage.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm co-parenting my linnie chicks. Every day I open the nest box and handle them, though daddy isn't impressed and occasionally runs over and gives me a nip.

Most Reactions