4.5 month old African grey timneh

MoniqueA

Dec 15, 2023
Parrots
I get my 4.5 month old baby african grey timneh Tuesday
Hello I get my baby Tuesday. I have never owned a parrot and I decided to go with a timneh I am a dog owner and a dog trainer the shop told me it's alot like training a dog but with feathers. My question is when she comes home should I be the only one to hold or handle her or should I let my husband and kids as well mind you my kids are adults. So new to this so all advise welcomed thank you

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hello. If the seller says they are just like training dogs, I would be very concerned about anything to do with the purchase. Parrots are nothing like working with dogs and proceeding on that basis will likely get you a angry, maladjusted and unfriendly parrot. That type of thinking is several decades old from what is currently known about parrots. What else has this person told you? THat parrots are a easy care pet? PLease tell us all, so we can steer you in the right direction. SOme old, old school practices are downright dangerous for your parrot.

PLease read the I Love Amazons thread at the top of the Amazon sub-forum, it has tons of excellent advice that applicable to all parrots not just Amazons.

I hope you did a lot of research before committing to raise and keeping a animal that lives for 50 years, has the emotional maturity and intelligence of a 3-4 yr old human child, who has a can opener on his face.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello. If the seller says they are just like training dogs, I would be very concerned about anything to do with the purchase. Parrots are nothing like working with dogs and proceeding on that basis will likely get you a angry, maladjusted and unfriendly parrot. That type of thinking is several decades old from what is currently known about parrots. What else has this person told you? THat parrots are a easy care pet? PLease tell us all, so we can steer you in the right direction. SOme old, old school practices are downright dangerous for your parrot.

PLease read the I Love Amazons thread at the top of the Amazon sub-forum, it has tons of excellent advice that applicable to all parrots not just Amazons.

I can't imagine an African Grey parrot being a good "my first bird" experience! Parrots are so much more complex than domesticated dogs. If there's any way you can back out of this now, DO IT, and think good and hard about whether you are prepared to parrent a parrot for the next fifty years.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Well what bird “to start out with “ is a bit of an issue to start with (No pun intended).

Do you buy a smaller bird that isn’t what you really want to “practice “ on.
OR do you buy the bird you really want from the beginning.

Best practice is to spend time at a bird sanctuary/rescue if one is in your area.

Coming here is good too.
we won’t sugar coat the information.

African grey's are amazing.
Just don’t let yourself be lured by all the cute videos.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I wouldn't stress or put too much stock in the "like training dogs" comment. As someone who does train both dogs and my parrot, I can say there are absolutely basic concepts of animal training that apply to whatever species you are working with! In fact, training my bird has made me a better dog trainer! That being said, just be sure to research parrot body language and how to read it as it will very different from a dog's.

Congrats on your new baby!

Most Reactions

Latest posts