Timneh African Grey issues

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Hi there, I am desperately looking for some advise.

My hubby and I adopted a Timneh Africa Grey from an older couple. She is 36 (we were told it's a demale) The husband passed away and he was the birds chosen one. His wife was not able to handle him any longer and he stood in the garage for a while (not sure how long). That is when we decided to adopt her. My hubby is clearly her chosen one, but she follows me around all over the house when she is out her cage and calls for me if I am not in the lounge, even if everyone else in the house is, including hubby. As soon as I walk into the Lou ge she is dead quiet. Problem is she has bitten me badly 4 times already and all 4 times she climbed onto me by herself and bit me. She also goes for me when she is out the cage yet she comes to knock on the bedroom door with her beak and calls for me when I am in the room with the door closed, so I am not sure what she wants from me. Is she just very territorial and sees me as a threat? Will she really go completely out of her way to follow me around all over the house just to bite me? Please help??

OP
T

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
We have almost had her for a year now, and I am scared of her now when she is out the cage. Hubby handles her with no issues, she even gets on his shoulder and dances for him. So there are no issues there at all.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
You unfortunately are not the chosen one and depending on personality they can be so mischievous that she might seek you out just to bite you.

Read as much as you can on this site and learn how to do everything you can to not get bitten and don't let your guard down.

I guess I am not that helpful but did want to Thank you for adopting this bird!!

OP
T

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
So I am not loosing my marbles, she is hunting me down LOL...thank you so much!! Your reply really does help a lot. I will definitely read up a bit more about her!! I don't mind not being the chosen one...I am just happy that she adapted so well and absolutely adores hubby 😍 (even if it's not me)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My little Amazon actively hates my youngest son (who even fed him as a baby!). After Salty hit puberty, he started this. Since my son does not live with us anymore, its a minor issue, I just keep Salty caged when he is at our house.

I can suggest that you be the giver of the most favorite treats from now on, it may help a bit. It may take a while to win him over some, Greys can be very stubborn!
Also, read up on 'shunning', the method used in the wild by parrots to chastise unruly youngsters.

OP
T

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Thank you so very much for your input...truly appreciate all the advise I can get. I will definitely read up about shunning. He side steps and then lifts his one paw when standing in front of me while he is on the floor. So if you know what that means I would also appreciate your input on that. Not sure if it's territorial behavior. They are such fascinating animals even though he hates me I still love him 🤣

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thank you so very much for your input...truly appreciate all the advise I can get. I will definitely read up about shunning. He side steps and then lifts his one paw when standing in front of me while he is on the floor. So if you know what that means I would also appreciate your input on that. Not sure if it's territorial behavior. They are such fascinating animals even though he hates me I still love him 🤣
lift the foot is usually asking to be picked up.
but it can be just a trick to bite you.
I am not the chosen one with Bella our CAG But she is friendly with me so I am lucky.
But she will act like she is going to let me scratch her head and if I try she bites me every time.

OP
T

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
I get to scratch her head though...she allows me that much. I also find it so weird that when I sit on the carpet and keep a close eye on her, she will come sit close to me and puff herself up and pull up her leg...she will start making grinding sounds with her beak as if she wants to fall asleep...so at least I know she is relaxed around me. It's like I get mixed signals from her cause as soon as she gets on me she bites. She will try to climb on me and I will move away cause after being bitten a few times I have learned my lesson

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Start with the understanding these are very intelligent Parrots, possible too smart for their own good! But, that demands that you be equally mentally involved when around her.

1. She lost the one she truly loved and although she has adopted your husband, it does not mean she is not still grieving. It sounds odd, but it is very possible that she is looking to include you in her inter-circle, but does not know how to connect and likely become confused with her feels and bits you. May sound odd, but when you conceder her past, it is likely. You will not be the chosen, but she is at least looking to connect at some level. Do not be surprised if the likelihood of being bitten increases when your husband is around.

2. Building a non-chosen one, relationship! You get to provide the special treats and the goodies in general! Those things she allows, enjoy deeply. Those things she does not, avoid. Now, the step-up foot lift. Does she bit once she steps-up or with the passage of a little time. The difference is whether the request was accidental or if it was targeted.

3. Connect calls. Even before she calls for you, use a contact call for her! In the wild, there are activity in contact with each other by calling out! It just helps to continue developing the relationship. "Hey, I am here, where are?" type activities. Whether words or song, whatever, if it works. FYI: Take great care in what you choose as you may just find yourself contact calling when you are in a store! So consider something fairly common place. It is easily enough to become a crazy bird owner, no reason to prove it.

4. You are being allowed to do many activities and it is important to build both of your comforts with each other in those activities. Cherish what she allows! Remember it can takes years to develop a relationship as a non-chosen one, but it is well worth it!

Enjoy, as she will continue to open-up!

OP
T

Telana

Jan 10, 2024
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Thank you so much for your great advise!! The step up...The first time she stepped up onto my arm she lifted her foot and I allowed her to get onto my arm but she bit so hard 3 times and did not want to let go, even though she wasn't even on my arm for long...it was almost an immediate bite after getting up. The 2nd time she got up by herself but she bit me in my neck after sitting by me for a while, and the 3rd time she got up by herself again and then bit me on my ear after sitting there for a while, I tried not to make any sudden movements and sat dead still, but still got bitten, but I now fear allowing her to step up cause I don't know if she will bite me again. She will climb onto our bed and walk to me directly, sometimes she will dart at me and other times she will just climb on me and then walk towards my face and hubby will stop her cause we are scared that she might bite me in my face. I truly treasure the head scratches that she allows me to do!! She will be outside or even in her cage and allow me to scratch her head. When I am not in the lounge but the rest of the family is she will call for me, and when I answer her, we usually do when she calls, then she will continue to call until I walk into the lounge then she will be quiet, so I think she has already accepted me as part of her flock? When she is out the cage she literally follows me around the house like a dog...it's cute but also alarming cause she darts for me at times and goes for my feet. Yet when I sit on the ground she comes to sit close to me and just chills next to me. I work from home so I am home with her all the time, when hubby comes home he let's her out and she gets onto his should and then wants to get off and come sit by me after a while...but she wants down to be on the floor at my feet. She will just sit there and look up at me. So I am getting a bit of mixed signals and don't want to do something wrong...so not sure if she wants attention from me or if she just wants to bite me if I come too close. Do you have any good blogs that you can refer me to on their body language so that I know when to back off and when to give attention?

vickieucb

Nov 16, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Thank you so much for your great advise!! The step up...The first time she stepped up onto my arm she lifted her foot and I allowed her to get onto my arm but she bit so hard 3 times and did not want to let go, even though she wasn't even on my arm for long...it was almost an immediate bite after getting up. The 2nd time she got up by herself but she bit me in my neck after sitting by me for a while, and the 3rd time she got up by herself again and then bit me on my ear after sitting there for a while, I tried not to make any sudden movements and sat dead still, but still got bitten, but I now fear allowing her to step up cause I don't know if she will bite me again. She will climb onto our bed and walk to me directly, sometimes she will dart at me and other times she will just climb on me and then walk towards my face and hubby will stop her cause we are scared that she might bite me in my face. I truly treasure the head scratches that she allows me to do!! She will be outside or even in her cage and allow me to scratch her head. When I am not in the lounge but the rest of the family is she will call for me, and when I answer her, we usually do when she calls, then she will continue to call until I walk into the lounge then she will be quiet, so I think she has already accepted me as part of her flock? When she is out the cage she literally follows me around the house like a dog...it's cute but also alarming cause she darts for me at times and goes for my feet. Yet when I sit on the ground she comes to sit close to me and just chills next to me. I work from home so I am home with her all the time, when hubby comes home he let's her out and she gets onto his should and then wants to get off and come sit by me after a while...but she wants down to be on the floor at my feet. She will just sit there and look up at me. So I am getting a bit of mixed signals and don't want to do something wrong...so not sure if she wants attention from me or if she just wants to bite me if I come too close. Do you have any good blogs that you can refer me to on their body language so that I know when to back off and when to give attention?
I have had my 15 year old AG for almost three years. He is out of his cage 24/7 but does not fly (as far as I know). My AG does not want to be held, which is fine. I must say from my experience that AGs can be moody as heck—at least my AG is moody.
My Grey is in great health, but every year he stops talking for a month or two, and that drives me crazy because I worry, but he comes out of his avian vet appointments with flying colors.
Ultimately, I let my Grey do his thing!

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Hi there, I am desperately looking for some advise.

My hubby and I adopted a Timneh Africa Grey from an older couple. She is 36 (we were told it's a demale) The husband passed away and he was the birds chosen one. His wife was not able to handle him any longer and he stood in the garage for a while (not sure how long). That is when we decided to adopt her. My hubby is clearly her chosen one, but she follows me around all over the house when she is out her cage and calls for me if I am not in the lounge, even if everyone else in the house is, including hubby. As soon as I walk into the Lou ge she is dead quiet. Problem is she has bitten me badly 4 times already and all 4 times she climbed onto me by herself and bit me. She also goes for me when she is out the cage yet she comes to knock on the bedroom door with her beak and calls for me when I am in the room with the door closed, so I am not sure what she wants from me. Is she just very territorial and sees me as a threat? Will she really go completely out of her way to follow me around all over the house just to bite me? Please help??
So like our situation, almost to a t, except we’ve had Debbie since she was 14 weeks old, she’s now just over 7 years

Most Reactions

Latest posts