OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Unfortunately, she died last night. About an hour after my last post. I just can't believe it, they were all so wonderful. Kelly, who was never hand raised, used to sit on my finger if she escaped from her cage. I would catch her, and she would just sit there while I put her back. Do was the doting mother of most of my remaining finches, some may have been Kelly's. Ray was always singing, and Regis was the strongest, stockiest, chestnut finch I have ever seen. Bumble used to sing and hop up and down like a pogo stick to impress the female gouldians. I will miss them very much, but I am very grateful for the time I had them. I do plan to get a necropsy done on Do, but how long can I wait? Most offices are closing down now. I have her wrapped in a paper towel, in a sealed zip lock bag in my garage. It's cold here so I figured it would be a good place for now. How much longer can I wait?

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Also, I want to thank everyone for the condolences. It means a lot to be a member of such a supporting forum

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry that you lost her as well:( I don't know how quickly a necropsy has to be done so will let someone with more knowledge answer that, I just wanted to say I am so sorry:(
My husband's name is Regis, what a great name he had.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sorry Do didn't make it, Ann. :(

Depending on how cold it is in your garage, you should be able to keep her there for a few day, or you could put her in the fridge.. (Gosh, I feel terrible even typing this, knowing how much you loved her) :(

HUGS to you!!

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
Sorry for your losses, the only thing I know about keeping birds for necropsy's is don't put them in the freezer

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
I am so sorry for your loss! I hope they find out what was wrong for the sake of your other birds and your family... You are in my PRAYERS

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
thank you everyone, for the thoughts and prayers. things are looking up though. my other birds are doing fine. i plan to schedule a necropsy for tomorrow or Sunday. I'm glad i can learn from this and help my other birds. i'll keep you guys posted~

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Necropsies can be as cheap as $15 (from a State Agricultural Station) or as much as over $200... unfortunately.

My main question is... have you used any different pans that you've never used before or haven't in a long time? What about plastic cooking bags or???? Anything different with what you cooked with??? Or any other holiday items that were used? Air fresheners? Candles? Scented ornaments?

It sounds like an irritant in the air. :(

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
Unfortunately, the necropsy didn't work out. The only office that would take her did not do disease testing, and it cost 300 dollars. They can only look for obvious things like tumors or masses. The vet referred me to a vet in the city that would do disease testing, but they only took previous patients.
@Monica nothing I can think of. We don't have any new cookware, didn't use any perfumes or scents, nothing seems to have changed. I agree, it had to be something in the air. Other than that, i think it might be disease.
I may never know what happened, but at least I still have most of my birds. I will be putting them on a better diet and giving them supplements. I will also give them all a round of respiratory medication like ornacyn plus, just in case. They seem to be a little run down, and I think my dove is wheezing. My guess is that they caught something and it spread through the flock. I'll keep you guys posted

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I am so sorry for your losses :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry for you losses Ann! I remember how excited you were getting them. :(

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
So sorry the necropsy didn't work out! Sadly, not surprising about the cost.... :(

Please don't use OTC meds, though! Most of the things you find in a pet store is crap!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Unfortunately, the necropsy didn't work out. The only office that would take her did not do disease testing, and it cost 300 dollars. They can only look for obvious things like tumors or masses. The vet referred me to a vet in the city that would do disease testing, but they only took previous patients.
@Monica nothing I can think of. We don't have any new cookware, didn't use any perfumes or scents, nothing seems to have changed. I agree, it had to be something in the air. Other than that, i think it might be disease.
I may never know what happened, but at least I still have most of my birds. I will be putting them on a better diet and giving them supplements. I will also give them all a round of respiratory medication like ornacyn plus, just in case. They seem to be a little run down, and I think my dove is wheezing. My guess is that they caught something and it spread through the flock. I'll keep you guys posted

Ornacyn is not strong enough Ann, you need Ivermectin. you can go to your local farm supply store and purchase it there, for less cost. You will need a vet to calculate the proper dosage depending on the birds size. since you have finches and a dove, the dosages would be different.
I am sorry for your losses, they are such pretty, sweet birds.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Ornacyn is to treat for bacteria. Ivermectin is for parasites.

Ornacyn is crap when it comes to antibiotics... and without knowing why the birds died, it's possible for the antibiotics to cause more harm than good.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Ornacyn is to treat for bacteria. Ivermectin is for parasites.

Ornacyn is crap when it comes to antibiotics... and without knowing why the birds died, it's possible for the antibiotics to cause more harm than good.

Monica-I think ann was thinking it might have been a bacterial infection that killed her birds, I truly hate Ornacyn, it's a total waste of money.

I still think Ivermectin is the best way to go at the moment, it certainly won't hurt them, only help them...., I was thinking ornacyn was for bacterial,but didn't convey my thoughts thru the keyboard ;)

Last edited:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ann, you might be very wise and disinfect that cage.

give it a total clean out from top to bottom, use bleach if you want.(just don't do it near any of your birds)

take out everything, perches, toys, swings etc...remove it all and clean them too!...that way you can start fresh again....better to be safe than sorry.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Have you considered chlamydia? Our flock got it. Our parrot was gurgley, wheezy, verge of death... Took him to the vet, put a heat lamp in him, some meds and he's doing good now. But everyone's being treated. Expensive, but could've wiped out everyone. It's in doves, & pigeons. A stressful situation can bring it up. Spread by feces

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thank you for the condolences and medication advice. I definitely won't use ornacyn anymore. None of them seem sick, just a little run down, but I know that can change quickly. I will definitely consider other meds like ivermectin. Until then I'll be keeping a close eye on them. Thank you for the suggestion SpotsandSally, I will definitely look into that. I'll keep you guys posted~

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Just some thoughts. Were they fluffed up at all, that you noticed before their deaths? More tired, withdrawn? Eating habits, drinking habits changed? A sick bird has signs that can, not always though, clue us into their illness.
If none of these things were observed then it might have been an airborne toxin. You said you've had a bad headache too? Monoxide poisoning will cause this in humans, and like the proverbial "canary in the coal mine", the birds, especially tiny little guys like you have, will be overwhelmed before we even notice.
I would say that taking your healthy birds in for a vet visit is of the utmost importance. If it's an infection it can be caught before it's too late. And you can also discuss the whole matter with an avian vet.
If cost is an issue pm me and I will see if I can help you. It's Christmas after all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts