Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Goppy.
Actually, it was Agape, named for the Greek word for love, but he was known as Goppy. In the spring of 1996, I responded to an ad in the local paper for a lovebird. I was told that he was just a year old and that they were rehoming him because he wa starting to become difficult. I went to the home and met his people who explained about Goppy's name and his unwanted behavior. He was fully flighted at the time and I recommended that they try clipping his wings which would make him more dependant on them. We talked for almost an hour and I left having talked them into giving Goppy a second chance with them. They asked for my phone number so that if they changed their mind, I'd be first on the list.
Six months later, in October, the phone rang. The voice on the other end said "Hi, I'm calling about the lovebird." and I responded "What lovebird, I don't have a lovebird." I'm sure you've figured it out, it was Goppy's owner. They had taken my advice and everything was good for a while, but he was acting up again so they were calling to ask if I was still interested. I was.

Goppy was the greatest bird ever, very friendly, and always had a smile on his face. My young niece just adored him and always begged to play with him. Eventually I found him a mate and they raised 7 little babies in 3 clutches over two years and he was still the friendly cheerful little guy that he had always been.
I lost him way too early when he was just eight years old. All of the happiness seemed to leave the house (bird wise that is). Goppy had happy little chirps and squawks and he had a very big presence while the other birds I had at that time (the same one's you'll see listed above) aren't nearly as cheerful and happy sounding and are much more low key. That was about ten years ago and it still doesn't sound as cheerful as it once did. Don't get me wrong, I know when my birds are happy squawking, it's just not nearly as pleasant.

I wish I had even one digital pic to share, but I lost everything when photopoint.com went belly up. I may have some prints from film somewhere - now I'll spend time searching through that old stuff.

I do eventually want another pflb (or two), but I will not be adding any more birds to my flock until I am saddened by loss several more times.

I felt the need to share this after seeing the pics someone posted of their pflb that reminded me of Goppy and I quite unexpectedly found myself missing him more than I have in many many years. I saw the same pics yesterday and didn't think anything of it.

Thanks for listening.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What a sweet story! I think we all know that feeling of sudden sadness when a memory jumps up unexpectedly. I'm glad you and Goppy got together and I'm also glad you had some great years with him. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Lovely story. It's amazing what these little feather babies do to us.

Most Reactions

Latest posts