4th day with DeRita, there are no words...

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I don't know if it's just my long LONG time dream come true to actually be owned by an Amazon or what...but I am in paradise!

DeRita and I and well...DeRita and our entire family is just...just....complete!

Today...4th day...DeRita tucked in her chin and lowered her head telling me to Please preen! MELT ME! I almost turned into a puddle on the floor I was so...soo...bursting with LOVE!

I rubbed her head, I rubbed over her eyes...which she LOOOOOVED! She turned her head so I could properly get her chin, she pressed her head into my hand, like a cat and rubbed my hand back.

She is eating, laughing, talking, preening (but not plucking that I have seen so far) napping and engaging with all of us in our home. She leans to the left when she sleeps, she grinds her beak, she makes sooo many cute purring, snoring sounds when she is relaxed and sleeping. She practically sings when she ESPECIALLY LOVES what she is eating...like today is was boiled potatoes, carrots, corn, celery and she munched on my sage plant again and in my other plant she loves the dirt. (don't worry, it's all parrot safe)

In just 4 days her adjustment into our family seems almost miraculous...it's like she's ALWAYS been here.

Yes...I am in LOVE, YES we ARE her FOREVER home.

I absolutely LOVE all our birds...don't get me wrong, I do (and none are getting ignored because of DeRita...I promise!)...but somehow...DeRita complete's the flock. Completes my dream. Makes me appreciate more and want less.

Her personality is everything I dreamed an amazon would be.

She was absolutely meant to be.

Thank you!!

Toni

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
It's amazing how quickly a bird can make its way into your heart, isn't it? I am so very happy for you!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I adore my zon too... I look forward to she and I being old age companions...

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
You so beautifully and eloquently described the right fit of a bird in a flock and family. I'm so happy for all of you. She sounds delightful and happy.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I can tell you have the feeling you get when something was just meant to be :). You just feel it. That's wonderful Toni, and the fact that she's opened up so quickly is a great sign! AND accepting you being a woman! I'm very happy for you.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Gosh, that just gave me goosebumps!!

Isn't it truly incredible how our heart flutters when they show us they are happy? :D

Phenomenal process with DeRita in a blink of an eye - literally!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
OK, time to stop this stuff, people are going to start believing that Amazons are lovers and not killers and the World will stop turning, the sky will fall, etc, etc, etc...:D

So very happy to hear this is work so very well for you.

Not to be the wet rag, but please remember to 'start' building into her day periods where she is self-directed. So that when you step-out for a couple of hours or more, she will see it as normal day to day route. With her age, she should already be aware that people have a habit of disappearing for periods of time and the same will be true in her new home.

So very happy for all of you!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
But remember, these are "birds with baggage"... and this one is even a plucker!

You want to get a baby bird, and you want to hand feed it yourself so that it will bond to you...

Otherwise, you're just taking on someone else's problem!

:p

Maggie was very much the same way. Four days start to finish. AND I COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT HER NOW!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Toni, I am so happy for DeRita and your whole family! It's a beautiful thing when a troubled parrot finds his perfect home, thank you for sharing the joy!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so thrilled for you and Derita! I also had goosebumps reading this, what an amazing beginning to your life long journey together:)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That's awesome! I had a very similar with Buddy, he and bonded in the first few days and it's been awesome ever since. Keep up the good work and keep sharing on how things are going.

Most Reactions

Latest posts