62 day's old today

Daniel0200888

Oct 26, 2016
62 day's old today! is my boy sick or am I over concern?

Hi guys

Probably just an over concern owner here, but I read something over droopy wings means my parrot is sick.

Maxx turned 62 day's today eats good 120cc 3 times a day and nibbles on peaces of watermelon and pineapple during the day he weighs 1190grms.

He sometimes gives a little cough but never repeating it more than twice a time 3/4times a day and there's no discharge from his nose.

He keeps his wings like in the picture most of the time ever since we got him 12 day's ago.
Should I be worried?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20161128_140529.jpg
    20161128_140529.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Re: 62 day's old today! is my boy sick or am I over concern?

Well, the short answer is, verify any concerns like this with your avian vet. Babies like yours are always a learning curve. And that takes time and practice. Birds hide illness well and it can be too late when we figure it out, or too late at night for a vet to help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Have him seen by an Avian vet, not a regular vet, and have a base line set of tests done. If everything is OK, it will serve the vet to know if anything is out of whack , if and when you need to see him again, and it will tell you now if anything is wrong with your baby.
He is a nice looking B&G macaw.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I would definitely advise taking him to an avian vet for a baseline checkup. Hard to assess the coughing, but it is not typical behavior. However, talking parrots are capable of imitating a variety of sounds - is he routinely in the company of people who cough?

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
When I first read the post, I didn't really had much to add. I didn't think too much about the coughing, but come to think about it, my macaws don't cough, they sneeze every once in a while, but I can't remember them coughing. Even when they are out of breath after a long flight, they never cough.

As the others said, see an avian vet. It may be nothing, but I usually say it's too late to regret if they get really sick. Hopefully a check up won't be too expensive.

When I get a new bird, I usually get a vet check with full blood work done, so I know the bird is healthy and not exposing my other birds.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Agreeing with all the wisdom above.

Wow... two months? So young...

The Rbird used to drop his wings a lot when he was begging for food at about 3 months... it went away within a couple of months. Also, as Sille said, I've heard my bird sneeze, but never heard a cough. I'm actually trying to imagine what that sounds like.

What a darling macaw.

Keep us posted, please!

OP
D

Daniel0200888

Oct 26, 2016
Thnx guys
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have him checked over by a vet. I'm gonna bring him in later today, just to be sure.
As for the cough, it can possibly be a sneeze to. He's my first macaw and I never heard one sneeze or cough before.

Thnx again

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Re: 62 day's old today! is my boy sick or am I over concern?

My Hahns sneezes from time to time. I suspect that her dander get in her own nostrils. It's not the occasional sneeze, it's when there's a nasal discharge that I keep a closer eye, and maybe a vet visit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts