My IRN has done 2 sessions of nebezling and still has nostril discharge and is coughing

Birdmum

Jan 7, 2024
Parrots
Pippen IIRN Ophelia IRN Ernie moutash parrot exodus rainbow lorikeet
So i notice a week a before Christmas my IRN was coughing and had nostril discharge it was maybe a few times a day he would cough tho I took him to see his avian vet and they recommend 10 days neblizling twice a day with gentamicin after the 10 days he was okay for a week or so then began coughing and having nasal discharge so I contacted the vet and they said do another round and see, itā€™s been almost 2 weeks and today he had wet nostrils again his booked in to see the avian vet tomorrow but Iā€™m so worried and stressed out anyone have any ideas what could be going on with him and if anyoneā€™s had this experience with their birds Iā€™m not looking for a diagnosis just if itā€™s serious and should I be so worried !?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Different viruses and bacteria can respond better or worse to different medications. It may just be a matter of finding the right medicine for your bird. Another possibility is if there is anything in his environment that could be causing his cough/ runny nose? Cleaners, new paint, mold, dust, artificial scents, etc can all irritate a birdā€™s airway. Discussing your concerns with the avian vet is definitely a good idea! Hope your Ringneck is feeling better soon ā¤ļø

OP
Birdmum

Birdmum

Jan 7, 2024
Parrots
Different viruses and bacteria can respond better or worse to different medications. It may just be a matter of finding the right medicine for your bird. Another possibility is if there is anything in his environment that could be causing his cough/ runny nose? Cleaners, new paint, mold, dust, artificial scents, etc can all irritate a birdā€™s airway. Discussing your concerns with the avian vet is definitely a good idea! Hope your Ringneck is feeling better soon ā¤ļø
Thank you for you help ! I definitely will when I go see him today I have air purifiers and never use any sprays or any deodorises in the house, when he was younger he was exposed to smoke by his previous owner so I just hope that hasnā€™t caused any damage thank you again I appreciate it šŸ’•

OP
Birdmum

Birdmum

Jan 7, 2024
Parrots
Sounds more like a secondary bacteria infection! Back to the Avian Vet.
Thank you for your response good to know ā˜ŗļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts