7 Week Eastern Rosella / Very Social

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
Hi,

So i got my first parrot (rosella) and I got him at 5 weeks and he is now at around 7 weeks old. I have been spending almost all my time with him. I take him to work every day and i made a home made perch (not in a cage) where he just stays near me while I work (i work in an office on a computer). I have been hand feeding him since i got him and he is now in the weaning period. He fledged and he can fly as well. I trimmed the wings but not enough so he can still fly across a room.

Anyway - onto my question:) So I have been reading everywhere that Rosella's are not very social birds and when they mature they can also tend to get a bit aggressive.

As of today my Rosella is actually very social. I typically only put him in his cage during the night and when in the car (to-fro work). When he is not in the cage he stays on the perch near me. Lately he has been getting a bit more social. When i am at home in the evening he always wants to stay on my shoulders (need to wash those tshirts :mad: ). When he flies to my shoulder I put him back on the perch but he keeps flying back to me. Sometimes I also stay patting him softly on the back and he(or she?) loves it. I also give him stuff to play with and he stays tottering around with it - i take it from him and he comes back to take it back. He does not bite at all. He is not afraid of me at all and when on the floor and I call him he walks over to me - grabs my trousers and 'flies/walks' up my trousers to settle on my shoulder / sometimes also on my head. When he is near me or on me he makes sweet sounds - which i assume (hope) means that he likes it.

Anyway - do you think that I am lucky enough that I may end up with a 'social' rosella? Or will this all change once he matures? He is around 7 weeks old now.

OP
V

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
Oh - here he is [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXhCm7_49k]Rosella at 7 weeks. Playing - YouTube[/ame]

OP
V

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
hey thanks.

Hopefully he will remain social and i can enjoy him more.

Most Reactions

Latest posts