Dec 3, 2011
Media
Wyoming
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Goffins Cockatoo
Umbrella cockatoo
Moluccan cockatoo
I bought a 4 month old B&G macaw in September from a breeder in California. Kai as we named him has been very sweet, appears very healthy and eats pelleted diet and offer fruits and vegitables to him daily. He loves to exercise his wings on his manzanita tree and is very energetic. Every once and awhile we will allow him to roam around our living room for 5 min while we play with him. Kai will run which is hilarious and play ball. When he gets really excited he will stop and bob his head and regurgitate a little and then swallow it back down. He will do this several times during this play time and never does it to us. Once Kai is back on his perch he never does it. Is this normal for baby macaws? Today we noticed he sneezed and had clear snot on his beak which my husband wiped off but any other time he has no discharge. His room mate is a goffin Cockatoo named sammy. She has her own cage and it is cleaned and vacuumed daily to keep down her feathers and dust.
We are pretty isolated out here in wyoming so I might have to drive to colorado to an avian vet. Just wondering if any of you have had this problem with your macaws until we can take him on a 5 hour drive to see an avian vet.
We are so loving our new macaw and he can say hello, wave, and shake hands. Kai is our baby and so we want to do right by him.
Thanks in advance for your replies :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Maybe he's just practicing, for when he gets to be a Dad... I'm really glad we don't have to feed our babies that way, since I have a one-way thingo in my system, which will not allow me to vomit... lolol

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
First off, I would contact the breeder where you purchased him from and see what they say about these issues. Then I would make the 5 hour drive to an avian vet to be on the safe side. I hope you took him to a vet right after the purchase. Most states require breeders to give up to like a 72 hour window from the time you receive your new pet to get them to a vet for a thorough check up.

With the amount of money that I'm sure you had to shell out for your new family member + shipping, I wouldn't hesitate.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
When I first brought home my GW Macaw Neleno at 9 months old, he too would get really excited when playing with a toy throwing it around and after playing with it for a while he too would bob his head to the toy he was just playing with but nothing ever came up. I believe this is normal. However, anytime a Macaw has a discharge and if it happens over and over again, it's time to see the Vet. I too agree, you should have your new pet no matter what type of pet they are, vet checked once you bring them into your home. Your first visit will run you approx $300.00 to $400.00. Cockatoo do put out lots of dust and is really bad for macaws, so I would not keep them to close together and purchase a air filter system and place it by the cockatoo's cage. Best of luck and keep us posted. Thanks Joe

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've always heard you shouldn't house a B&G with a cockatoo. They have a tendency to develop respritory issues from the cockatoo dander. For whatever reason, B&G macaws and Blue Crown conures seem most susceptible to problems with cockatoos.

I see in the Birds USA magazine I picked up a few days ago that there is one listed avian vet in Wyoming. I don't know if this is closer to you than the one in Colorado, but here is the info:
Cheyenne Broadmoor East Vet Clinic
4218 E. Pershing Blvd., 82001
307-634-2912

There may be others as well. I don't see my own avian vet listed under Ohio, so it's possible. Are there any bird clubs or breeders in your area? If so, they can probably make a recommendation.

OP
shesocalifornia

shesocalifornia

Dec 3, 2011
Media
Wyoming
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Goffins Cockatoo
Umbrella cockatoo
Moluccan cockatoo
Thanks for all the great replies. Wyoming is pretty big and isolated. lol. We don't even have a pet store. :) Cheyenne is 5 hours from me as well as Denver, Salt Lake, and Billings. We are smack dab in the middle of everything. There is an exotic vet in Lander which is 30 min away but isn't an avian vet. Kai appears so healthy and beautiful and four months ago had a clean bill of health. I am probably over reacting. The regurgitation has been an ongoing problem with him with excitement. Nothing ever comes up and he isn't doing it toward us.
He only sneezed once and had snot come out but i am wondering if he isn't getting chilled after his showers. Kai really gets into it and gets soaked. Can they get sick from this? I put him in his room and turn the heater up but he is shaking afterwards. I shop vac their room and Sammy gets really showers to keep the dust down. She isn't a very big Too but she does have some dust. I will put the air purifier by the cage as you all suggested and of coarse take Kai for a check up. Thanks for your replies :)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've been housing my macaw with my too for many years now without any issues. But I've heard of that issue before. When did he have a discharge? Was it right after a bath? Was he drinking before that? If your really worry about him getting sick after a bath, try using a blow dryer! That what I do. I even took a video of it and posted it under Eclectus.

OP
shesocalifornia

shesocalifornia

Dec 3, 2011
Media
Wyoming
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Goffins Cockatoo
Umbrella cockatoo
Moluccan cockatoo
Thanks I feel better hearing that. I think it from his baths too. I put a space heater in front of his cage after a bath. I heard blow dryers dry them out. lol. Everyone has a opinion on it i guess. lol. I think my baby has a cold :( I will call for an apt tomorrow. Thanks everyone

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You don't have to make them completely dry with the blow dryer if your worried about drying the skin out. Good luck, let us know how he does.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I too give both my boys showers with me, they have their own perch inside my shower. They both get wet to the bone. After the shower, I use a dime size of aloe vera pure 100%. I rub it into my hands and then all over my birds. Then I place a blow dryer approx 36 inches away from them. I sit both my boys on my lap and let the warm air dry them. it takes approx 35min to 45min. After they are dry. I place them back in their cages and use a heat lamp that is outside their cage just to make sure they are truely dry. I have never had an issue showering my birds this way. Best of luck Joe

patroler16

Dec 12, 2011
Media
utah
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaws (2)
African Grey congo
Blue front amazon
My 27yr old male B&G does this all the time to me as well. I have studied this action with he Macaws and it said to be a sign of Love and affection. Like most macaws each one has its own personality and actions. Just remember to keep a close eye on the nasal dicharge (as it seems you have) and you may put a rag in your cage. I have found that with my 2 they love to shred the rag and regurgitate on the rag. These are wonderful additions for any family and life long friends. Enjoy them they are wonderful and joyful to have.

Most Reactions

Latest posts