8 year old adopted conure biting

kiwicoated

Jul 24, 2014
Arizona
Parrots
Booka, Cinnamon GCC
Hey there! Yesterday I adopted an 8 year old cinnamon green cheek conure named Booka. The lady had her for a year and before that Booka was owned by the same lady for 7 years. The lady I bought her from said she was quiet, not bitey (except with kids), and liked females better than males. Yesterday and this morning she would bite occasionally, but it seemed like it was just because we don't know her as well and don't know exactly what she does and don't like. This afternoon and evening though have been much worse. Originally she bit my dad more but now she's started being a perfect angel with him and horrible to me. I'll have her on my hand and tell her to step up to my other hand (something she did willingly before) and she will chomp down. These are not gentle nips at all. Sometimes she'll be on my lap and I'll need to move her and I'll slowly put my hand up and she goes after me. A lot of places tell you to put them in their cage or on the floor if they bite as a time out, and I've done that when I can, but sometimes she gets so moody with me I can't even get her to another place cause she's biting me so much.

Is this possibly because I had her on my shoulder for so long (the 2 hour car ride home yesterday and almost all of this morning except when she wanted to eat) and she's rarely on my dad's shoulder? I know that I've only had her a day and I need to be patient but it's really hard to not take it personally when your fingers are all torn up but she doesn't do it to my dad. Especially since she normally likes women more and the lady I got her from said she only bit her hard once.

SolarEclipse

Jul 24, 2014
Gcc are very social birds
I dont own one but have done lots of research. Say no in a firm voice and put her in her cage
Or just keep making her step up until she is tired of it and will willingly step up without biting you. That about covers the biting. As far as the bond, just give her time and love.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome to the forum! We would like to see photos of your new friend. What is her name?

A brand new home and people can be overwhelming for parrots, especially the older ones. They usually need some time to adjust to their new surroundings. Your bird is probably biting out of fear. She has no idea what is expected of her yet. Take some time to get to know her before asking too much of her. Read up on positive training methods and try some of those after your bird is calm and feeling more at home.

OP
K

kiwicoated

Jul 24, 2014
Arizona
Parrots
Booka, Cinnamon GCC
I just put up my introduction in the new user forum and there's a picture there :D

Thank you for your response. My post was made when I was more stressed out (lots of bites will do that) and I'm feeling much better now. What's the best way to get to know her? I can't have her on my shoulder since she bites when I need to get her off and she doesn't like to be pet by me yet. I occasionally go over to her cage and have her step up onto my fingers. Is there anything else I can do or should I keep up with what I'm doing?

OP
K

kiwicoated

Jul 24, 2014
Arizona
Parrots
Booka, Cinnamon GCC
Also she'll put up with anything with my dad and also doesn't bite my boyfriend but no matter what I do anymore she bites. She isn't nearly as mean to anyone else.

Given that she originally liked me a lot and likes women more than men normally, is there something that could be causing this?

Most Reactions

Latest posts