A bit of a shocker

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So just got back from a late doctor appointment where I git to hear the words Brain Tumor for the first time! It's not that bad other than the shock of course. It's in my pituitary, 99.9% chance of being benign. ...slow growing. ..I'm not up for learning about it , told the doctor let's talk after the next MRI ..I am not even going to google it! I knew I had an enlarged pituitary for the past five years I get an MRI every year, but my last one the results had been lost, and I am overdo for one. When I went to the doc they had found the results, and he was ready to send me to the surgeon. So it was a real big surprise to me to hear the words Brain tumor!!! I'll go in and have the MRI and go from there. So let's all hope no change, and No surgery!!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Positive vibes and thoughts! Hoping for no need for surgery.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I HATE THOSE WORDS...please keep us posted .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a shock, Laura. Sending healing thoughts for an MRI not suggestive of surgery. Please keep us updated, we're here for you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well this is what we Aussies would call an absolute Barry Crocker - rhymes with - SHOCKER!!

I am very sorry indeed to hear this. Like SailBoat said, take one step at a time! I hope you and your flock will all be ok, we are certainly sending every possible positive wish your way ❤️❤️❤️!!!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Ohnoes,
of course I went completely of the rails (terrible sense of humor automatically kicks in when crisis reaises its head) and thought: You are growing a birdbrain yourself?!
THAT is parrot-bonding to a whole new level!

(more serious now)
Lets hope this is the only really scary/threatening news you'll get and it will be smooth sailing from here one. (Relatively speaking of course these things are never fun, but well, that also did not need saying.)

Do not disappear plze!
(overboard again: Oh and if you *do* go in for surgery at some point, I am still stealing your neptune blue bird of course! ;) )
Lotsa Hugs 'n stuff.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, Laura...
Let this place be your safe spot, full of fluffy feathers and happy screeches. You're a very valued member, very.
Soooooooooooooooo... scream, yell, cry, shake your fist, laugh like a maniac, whatever you need to do.
xo

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Wow, i hope it goes well for you. Is this quite a common thing as i've had 2 friends with them now, and both are now absolutely fine as well!!!! One of the lads was a saturation diver in the oil industry and can no longer do it, but he was retiring from it anyway as it is a job with a very low life expectation.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
You are very much in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping hard that surgery isn't even needed and that the MRI results will show no growth. We're here for you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Laura, I am so sorry to hear this! Sending prayers and warm hugs to you. Also hoping surgery is not needed.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Laurasea you are in everyone’s hearts and prayers. Thank you for your generosity and for always being such a wonderful support and source of inspiration. I pray everything goes well for you and that you’re back on deck wrangling that flock of yours ASAP!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh thank you all so much for the out poring support!!! I've been trying to process this!! I can't believe the results had been lost in limbo, only discovered when they did a computer systems update! I still can't bring myself to google...all I know is that it's a tumor and the measurements, and that it's going to push on optic nerve... And that they go into your brain from the roof of your mouth! That's when I said hey doc I'm not ready to talk about this, I'm kinda tuning out since you said brain tumor!!! But seriously going into your brain from your mouth?!?! All that makes me think is infection from mouth going into brain post surgery!! It's been two two years since last ( lost) MRI so we will see if there has been more growth at this new one..the thing that complicated this is I have myasthenia gravis abd last year a dental and la ded me in ICU! All because of how anesthesia effects MG causing me to go into profound weakness if diaphragm and intercostal breathing muscles, abd muscles of toungue and throat, meaning I could spend time on a ventilator and have to have my blood washed lol plasmapheresis. Lord you have to learn a lot of medical jargon. Any anesthesia even locol injection of lidacain causes this, and it can take months for me to recover. All if that is before what ever going into my brain and surgery risks. So yes all prayers and thoughts are for no surgery!!!! I think one step at a time is the only way I can handle it. Normally I like to know bthings and research things, but NIT this time. And of course my mom could throw food and water at the Parrots but she could never let them out. So we just can't go there. Thank you all again for the community support, it means a lot!!! BTW be warrened if you doctor asks you to stay late so you can talk!!!! I can laugh at that now cuz I was so clueless it didn't even send up any red flags to me! Lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
DON'T GOOGLE!!!
You will just drive yourself crazy!
Tumor is a stressful word...but if the doc thinks it is benign that is good. Plus, the slow-growing part if KEY! I'm sorry you are going through all of this---scary/stressful...Again, listen to your doctor...do not Google...
The brain and mouth are very much connected. That is why Egyptians has serious consequences from cavities in their teeth that they left untreated for years and years. Worst case scenario...if you did have the surgery, I am sure they would be very careful about the infection thing and you would probably take antibiotics etc to prevent it.
I really really hope it shrinks and that everything is better soon. WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!!!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
You got this, and we got you. Prayers and healing thoughts and everything else coming your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow, i hope it goes well for you. Is this quite a common thing as i've had 2 friends with them now, and both are now absolutely fine as well!!!! One of the lads was a saturation diver in the oil industry and can no longer do it, but he was retiring from it anyway as it is a job with a very low life expectation.
Hi thanks! Did they have surgery on it,? Or just the wait and watch?

Also I know the pituitary is the master gland in endocrinology, did it effect their system?
I'm coming to terms with this, and stuck till I get more tests done and have more info....I just don't like to think about having something in my brain and nope no way to surgery, unless I must...ugh ok now to go read about birdies and stories. Thank you people flock mates for thinking of me!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I believe you are very wise to hold off Googling until a more definitive diagnosis is complete. You'd go down many rabbit holes and quite possibly have no immediate issue. Hoping for a benign result!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry you aregoi5ng thru this. Aint modern medicine wonderful. If it slow growing and almost certain to be benign, no rush to get that MRI done, butI would. Remember , we are here for you rooting 100% for you.

Most Reactions