A couple questions about my amazon.

Underscorrr

Jun 30, 2017
Hey everybody! I have a couple question pertaining to the ownership and the bonding of my amazon named Palmer.

I got had Palmer Saturday of last week, so I have only had him for two whole days. He is still a very quiet birdie, but occasionally makes the 'hiccup' sound (or that's what I call it :p). If I leave my room and come back later, I'll catch him trembling until I give him a goody to calm him down. He takes food from my hand very gently, which really surprised me. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it normal for him to be this quiet on his first 2 days of being here?

2. Should I let him out of his cage, even though he is not hand tame?

I guess that's all the ones that come to my mind :D
Any helpful replies are appreciated so much. Thank you all!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums and more specific, Amazon Forums.

When determining how to respond to questions of this nature, it helps greatly to know;
-which Amazon you have?
-how old is your Amazon?

I'm assuming that this Amazon is very young and you are likely not very experience with young Amazons, am I correct?

It seems that 'your' Amazon is alone, in your 'room' most all the time, unless you are there, correct?

Please provide some feedback, so that you're guesses can be answer specific to your Amazon.

It will help you greatly to read the first couple of pages of the Amazon Forum. Start with the Thread" I Love Amazons - ... This is a very large Thread with a ton of information. Review Page One and select the Segments that will provide source information.

Also, read the other Threads on the Amazon Forum on the first couple of Pages, also on to page three and four as there is a ton of information that will be helpful to you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In digging back, I find that you state that you have: "He is a double yellowed-crown amazon (I think) :smile005:"

That would more likely be a: Double Yellow-headed Amazon (DYHA).

What color Beak does 'he' have?

OP
U

Underscorrr

Jun 30, 2017
In digging back, I find that you state that you have: "He is a double yellowed-crown amazon (I think) :smile005:"

His beak is black. I was told that he is 18. I hope this helps a bit.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

That helps a great deal!

Clearly not a DYHA, more likely a Yellow-Crowned Amazons. But, that would require several photos to verify.

At 18, this all sounds like adjustment behavior. At 18, he should be hand tamed, unless he has been locked away for years with no interaction.

What history do you have about him?

OP
U

Underscorrr

Jun 30, 2017

That helps a great deal!

Clearly not a DYHA, more likely a Yellow-Crowned Amazons. But, that would require several photos to verify.

At 18, this all sounds like adjustment behavior. At 18, he should be hand tamed, unless he has been locked away for years with no interaction.

What history do you have about him?
I don't have much history, aside from what the woman who had him told me. She told me that "He hasn't had a steady home, and lived most of his life in the pet store. He is a DNA sexed male (according to the pet store. She didn't see any paperwork.)". She bought him off of a woman who had gotten him from the pet store. I don't know how he was treated in the former woman's care, but I know the woman I had bought him off of took really good care of him. You can tell he is a rescue by looking at him, and I also think he didn't have a good diet until he got to the woman's house who fed him zupreem and a healthy balanced diet. I do remember her saying that he was a "Yellow-fronted Amazon", but I can't seem to find anything out about them.

Yes his nails are black.

Last edited:

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I do remember her saying that he was a "Yellow-fronted Amazon", but I can't seem to find anything out about them.

Try Googling "yellow-crowned Amazon" and see if you find birds that look like him. Yellow crowns are wonderful birds. Other people here have tons more experience than I do with birds that haven't been handled, so I'm sure you'll find some help. Even if you can never handle him, I'm sure you'll be able to improve his lot in life. :)

Most Reactions