A few feathers...should I worry?

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I don't know why I am so concerned about feather plucking. I am finding a few feathers here and there and know that Tiki is not ready for first molt yet as he's only 3 1/2 months. Is it normal for gcc to lose a feather every day if not molting? This morning he flapped like crazy in his cage before I let him out and I noticed a few downy yellow and red feathers (likely from chest or under wing because he is yellow sided) on the floor near cage. There were about 5 of them so I am now worried. He seems to preen normally and is out of cage most of the day with the usual exceptions. Don't know if this info is useful, but the feathers all seem to have their shaft.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about. :) Next time I give my big guys a bath I should take some photos of all the floofies they lose while they preen afterwards. :54:

Even when not actively molting, all fids will lose feathers here and there. :)

Gemsmom2015

Jul 21, 2015
Media
Ohio
I sympathize with the molting issue.I have a five month old yellow sided greencheek and he is starting to molt lightly for the first time.I have not had a baby for a LONG time so I do not know if this is proper timing for a first molt.I just lost a Greencheek named Cozumel who was over 20 years old so I am like a new mom. Any input would be greatly appreciated.Also I have noticed sme pin feathers on his head already.
Thanks,
Gem's Mom Lynda

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Sun Conure (Pipa), hatched 12/31/13
My 1.5 year old is dropping little feathers like it's nobody's business. She's moody but loving and sleepy at the same time. She's never lost this many feathers before so I'm hoping this is normal?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
In my experience, birds shed feathers daily. We shed skin daily too - we just don't notice it.

Birds will molt more certain times of the year, but unless they have a good sized 'bald spot or irritated skin, I think it's perfectly normal.

Skittles 'relies' on me to preen his head and neck feathers when he has those 'pin feathers' that are fully grown in (after the 'sensitivity' wears off). He will let me know, and 'interrupt' whatever I am doing to get me to do that. Sometimes he even rubs his face against my facial hair in a back and forth motion. He also tends to want to bathe more when he is molting significantly.

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
I bathe Pipa a lot, to ensure she's clean and her pin feathers aren't bugging her. I too help her with those, but I haven't seen her shed this much. It was like 2-3 feathers every 5 minutes.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That is a lot of feathers. Are they flight/tail feathers or are they quills? Quills are little tiny feathers that insulate the bird, such as belly feathers and head feathers. Birds shed these quills regularly while the larger feathers shed here and there and also during moulting season.

Skittles is just finishing a major moult which is weird cause we are at the end of July and Peaches hasn't been moulting at all.

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
That is a lot of feathers. Are they flight/tail feathers or are they quills? Quills are little tiny feathers that insulate the bird, such as belly feathers and head feathers. Birds shed these quills regularly while the larger feathers shed here and there and also during moulting season.

Skittles is just finishing a major moult which is weird cause we are at the end of July and Peaches hasn't been moulting at all.

They are quills, and mostly white ones. She has a bunch of pin feathers as well, I've just never seen her shed this much. She has a nail trimming appointment tomorrow, so I'll ask if that's normal.

Most Reactions