A few questions about Quaker behavior

marcham93

Apr 26, 2011
New York, USA
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Charlie
Hi everyone!

First here is a picture of my buddy, Charlie!

Bk9trao.jpg

Okay, onto the questions!

1) Mating Behavior

Charlie loves to mate with the corner of his cage when I let him out. Should I try to restrict this behavior by leaving that cage corner unavailable to him or just let him continue as usual? He does it more than I have seen any of my previous parrots do so and it can be quite embarrassing with guests over. :eek: I just don't want to cause him any sexual stress my removing his "special area" of the cage.

2) Rough Play

Charlie is playful, but does like to get rough at times; it can be troublesome as you might imagine. Any special techniques to tame him during these moments? What is the best way to teach him what's okay and what's not when playing?

3) Other People

Charlie HATES other people. He has developed a bond with the immediate family and gets extremely vicious with outsiders. It has gotten to the point were he must remain in the cage when others are over as he will take it out on myself. Any way of training Charlie to "play nice" with others?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie really is a sweetie with me, but does have his moments. Any help or comments are appreciated! :)

Last edited:

mgore

May 17, 2013
Took my quaker to the vet for a chronic eye infection. She was sedated as she has been numerous times. However, this time she did not come out of it until nearly 24 hrs. She will not use her left foot/claw. What has happened?

Most Reactions