A few questions

Skye

Mar 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Parrots
Jenday Conure (Lola)
1. Pet insurance. I was thinking about getting pet insurance for Lola. The woman I spoke with said it would cost around 20 dollars a month but I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has pet insurance/ if this sounds like a good price for it. She said it should cover Lola if she were (God forbid) ever need surgery and also for office visits and nail/beak/feather maintenance.

2. Lola has black spots on a few of her feathers. I'm worried that this my be a deficiency? I will try to upload a picture of the spots. Has anyone else experienced this with their companion?

3. Just a funny question: Is it common for birds to "scream" while bathing? Or maybe she just likes to sing in the shower like me! haha

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
1. No clue about insurance. Sorry!
2. They might be stress bars. Look up some pictures and see if that looks right. These are caused by stress (as the name suggests) and can be an indication of a larger problem such as an illness, but they are also common in young birds, so if she is still young I wouldn't worry. Pippi had this for about a year before she molted the feathers out.
3. Birds tend to scream when they're having fun...so yes. Pippi does anyway :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Also no help with the pet insurance, but on top of what Julianna mentioned, she could just be over-preening them. Hopefully they will molt out normally. :)
And yes, my fids get very excited when it's bath time! Everybody gets loud haha. (It's hard not to get excited with them!)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've been told the big pet insurance company that vets accept (VPI) does NOT include birds :(

Hopefully soon there will be an option for bird owners. It's much needed, as popular as birds have become, and the prices of exotic care.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Pet Assure is one that will cover birds as a few others that will do the same.

Llamalark

Jan 18, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Parrots
Peregrine Took (male red-sided Eclectus)
VPI now covers birds and exotics. I was looking into it too. I learned the best time to sign up is when they're young and healthy. I actually just decided to open an account for my Ecky and deposit into it monthly ~$17 or something, and that will be my insurance! I also got a Care Credit card for emergencies.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
When we first got our great dane puppy and I took him to the vet, I purchased a "well puppy" package that included all his shots, microchip, etc. Also came with a 30-day Trupanion pet insurance policy.

The day after the policy expired, Tristan (our great dane) took a bad tumble and broke his leg -- needed surgery, a plate put in, etc.

I called Trupanion and explained what happened and they agreed to re-instate my policy effective the day before so that it would cover his broken leg. I couldn't believe how generous that was -- they had no obligation to do that.

They reimbursed the full almost $3000 to have my dog's surgery.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wish we had some kind of insurance here that covers birds. I have not been able to find any company that will insure anything but dogs and cats.

Most Reactions