A fishkeeper who wishes to have birds

cockatielbird33356

Mar 27, 2024
Perth, Australia
Parrots
N/A
Hi, I'm from Perth, Australia. I heard that there is a moderator from Queensland and I haven't been in the forum before. I keep fish and I first heard about the forum from a fish forum, which are friends with you. I want budgies at first, but dad doesn't believe that birds belong in cages, but it's the best (and only) way to keep them. I used to be a bird lover and I wish I kept a budgie or two, but because we have enough pets, and dad's beliefs, we can't have them.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you... Well, literally.

I never kept Australian parrots before, what are some advice from keeping budgies when I move out from my childhood home?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi, I'm from Perth, Australia. I heard that there is a moderator from Queensland and I haven't been in the forum before.
Yes we do have a moderator from Queensland, and that would be me! Welcome to the forums, @cockatielbird33356, I hope you enjoy our community :)

OP
C

cockatielbird33356

Mar 27, 2024
Perth, Australia
Parrots
N/A
Yes we do have a moderator from Queensland, and that would be me! Welcome to the forums, @cockatielbird33356, I hope you enjoy our community :)
Nice to meet you. Sorry for the late reply. Busy today. I keep fish, not birds however. Fish are my first pets, then birds and small mammals and finally the popular big mammals (cats and dogs). The latter lots is what I could keep once I'm independent. Where in QLD do you live?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Nice to meet you. Sorry for the late reply. Busy today. I keep fish, not birds however. Fish are my first pets, then birds and small mammals and finally the popular big mammals (cats and dogs). The latter lots is what I could keep once I'm independent. Where in QLD do you live?
Nice to meet you too :) Never mind that you don't have birds, not yet anyway, but do be aware that birds are like potato chips for many of us, you just can't stop at one! I am in Briz Vegas but I have been to Perth, many years ago when I used to work in the airline business. I'd love to visit WA again, such a beautiful State!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi, I'm from Perth, Australia. I heard that there is a moderator from Queensland and I haven't been in the forum before. I keep fish and I first heard about the forum from a fish forum, which are friends with you. I want budgies at first, but dad doesn't believe that birds belong in cages, but it's the best (and only) way to keep them. I used to be a bird lover and I wish I kept a budgie or two, but because we have enough pets, and dad's beliefs, we can't have them.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you... Well, literally.

I never kept Australian parrots before, what are some advice from keeping budgies when I move out from my childhood home?
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm an Aussie too from Melbourne but I live in Adelaide now.

What kind of fish do you have? I'd like to see some pics of them.

I get what your dad is saying, I don't think birds belong in cages either but how else is a person going to care for a bird? It has to sleep somewhere.

With budgies first I would ask you if you want aviary budgies or pet budgies.
For a pet budgie ideally you want one that is hand raised so that they will be tame. Ones that aren't hand raised are hard to tame and are better off in an aviary with other budgies.

Last edited:

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Welcome to the feathered family.
I too was/are an avid fish keeper and made the jump to birds as well. Both fun and entertaining. Who knows your fish and bird may try to eat each other like Phoenix and Casper here did. Many times they would attack each other thru the glass, so hilarious.
20201113_094936.jpg

Casper a central American cichlid Amphilophus Saggitae, no real common name, and Phoenix a sun conure.
20210711_191016.jpg

20220421_114438.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts