A little bit of chat

MBL

May 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Green Quaker - 5 months old
4 English Budgies
Hi all. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance here. I've had my little man for three weeks. He's now 5 months old and shows no signs of talking. I wasn't at all bothered because I thought it could probably take quite some time before he felt settled and start trying, but I keep reading about people who have only had their babies a few days before they begin to mimic. So is Louis okay, do you think, and is he still likely to talk?
I spend a lot of time with him, and he spends a great deal of the day out of his house. He is though still quite nervous of new things, especially toys, and does a lot of frantic calling if I leave the room, and screeching if he thinks he's completely alone.

I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion.

:green2:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, MBL. :) AND congrats on your Louis!

He's still a baby, so he will most likely still need some time to settle in properly and gain some confidence. Quakers can make GREAT talkers, so don't give up on him. I'm sure in time your efforts will pay off, and he will surprise you when he utters his first word. :)

OP
M

MBL

May 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
4 English Budgies
Thats just what I needed to hear. :) Thank you for taking the time to reply JW, and for the welcome.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I got my quaker when he was 6 months old. I really have never tried to teach him to talk but he does say a few things like Step up , good birdy and a few other things. It took a few months At first you will hear them just kind of making sounds kind of softly to them selves and they are practicing then eventually an actual word will come out. Sweetie Pie has the habit of going down to the floor if I am in the kitchen or hubby is on the computer , all of a sudden you feel a nibble on your foot or bare toes Then a low gravely voice will say STEP UP. I think it is more the usual for birds to start talking after they are comfortable in your home and with you for a few months:)

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
The average age for a Quaker to begin imitating speech is about six months. Some do start earlier, some much later (I know of a Quaker who didn't begin speaking until he was almost four years old), and a few will never speak any language but Quaker parrot. Be patient with Louis and talk to him a lot-- read to him too; the more he hears you speak, the more likely it is that Louis will want to talk back. :)

OP
M

MBL

May 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
4 English Budgies
Thank you all for your reassurance about Louis. Even if he doesnt talk he's still my pal, but I think he will now I've heard the comments.

I loved the picture in my head of Sweetie Pie saying 'Step Up" :)

Today Louis and I had a very long talk, in a very soft voice, about my fears, not only about his speech, but the fact that he may never find a job because of his lack of arms, and that he doesn't have too many usable skills - I think he thought he might become a pilot - y'know with all the flying - but I had to point out that his landings weren't particularly classy. Of course Louis didn't say anything but I think it gave him something to think about :32:

Its nice to have a place to talk about feathered friends :)

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
MBL,
Good choice in getting a quaker, they are awesome little companions. Louis, like any other will choose to talk on their own time. My little man is 2 years old and will go days if not weeks with out saying a word, and then for days on end he wont shut up. All of the above posted comments are correct, just keep talking and building that bond and when he is ready he will come out of his shell. Good Luck, and get a picture up if possible. This is what my little guy currently looks like!!!
http://postimg.org/image/ln3tjo8e5/

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
In time, you'll probably discover a suitable occupation for Louis-- it's just a matter of learning what he's best at. :) Many Quakers qualify as demolition experts. Some have a passion for stealing jewelry, though being a jewel thief isn't quite legal, even for a parrot. Some enjoy plucking out human hair and others like to remove moles and blemishes and might find work in a dermatologist's office. Some become fascinated with eyeglasses and might be hired to work for an optician. There are lots of possibilities for a QP who is willing to work. :D

OP
M

MBL

May 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
4 English Budgies
MBL,
Good choice in getting a quaker, they are awesome little companions. Louis, like any other will choose to talk on their own time. My little man is 2 years old and will go days if not weeks with out saying a word, and then for days on end he wont shut up. All of the above posted comments are correct, just keep talking and building that bond and when he is ready he will come out of his shell. Good Luck, and get a picture up if possible. This is what my little guy currently looks like!!!
View image: 2013 05 10 19 02 38 85

Ooh, he's a beautiful little chap, and the blue really suits him :)

OP
M

MBL

May 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
4 English Budgies
In time, you'll probably discover a suitable occupation for Louis-- it's just a matter of learning what he's best at. :) Many Quakers qualify as demolition experts. Some have a passion for stealing jewelry, though being a jewel thief isn't quite legal, even for a parrot. Some enjoy plucking out human hair and others like to remove moles and blemishes and might find work in a dermatologist's office. Some become fascinated with eyeglasses and might be hired to work for an optician. There are lots of possibilities for a QP who is willing to work. :D

:D:D Never even considered those occupations! The dermatology route is looking a distinct possibility at the moment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts