A little freaked out

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
This afternoon my boyfriend noticed my lovebird sleeping face down on the bottom of her cage next to an egg! She's almost 4 and had never laid an egg! I have two other birds (another female lovebird in another cage and an Alexandrine). For me this completely came out of the blue. She had no possible nesting spot, and nothing to shred besides the paper I use for the bottom of her cage. She somehow can pull it through (yuck). She did have a few mirrors in her cage which I removed (I might have been wrong by doing that). I put the egg in a small bowl (also might have messed up there). She's yet to even acknowledge it. If anything she seems a little freaked out. We both are. I don't want to keep messing up if I am. My first instinct is to make her comfortable. Right now I've even set up to sleep in the living room where the birds are just so I can keep an eye on her.

She's eating, a lot, and is extremely friendly, which is unlike her. She's energetic, happy. She's actually more pleasant than she normally would be. This evening I noticed what looked like another egg crowning. I've been up talking to her, making sure she's pooping (which I havnt seen in a couple hours). I'm pretty freaked out and I don't want her in pain. What should I do? Should I just leave her with a towel over the cage and let nature do its job? I'm worried about egg binding, though the first egg passed what seems like completely fine. Her "exit hole" looks large, but actually very healthy.

So should I let her build a nest? Should I keep feeding her normal (roudybush with nuts as treats). She doesn't like anything besides roudybush pellets. I've spent 4 years trying to feed her vegetables and ive given up. She has a cuttle bone and I added a second one so she's up to her knees in calcium. I added in a couple neutral toys, and she's so happy. I just want her to feel as pleasant as possible so any advice on that would be great. I'm scared to do the wrong thing here!

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
A lot of fantastic information. I've been reading a lot of conflicting information online but I suppose that's life. For example, someone said absolutely do not touch the mother or the eggs, and others seem to mention touching them. This has been for sure been a learning experience. I decided to give her a bit of space and she went to the bottom of the cage and seemed to be pushing, then gave up, ate a bunch of food, drank water, and went to sleep. She's yet to build a nest, but has a bowl and material. I actually have a cuddle hut that's barely used to avoid this problem and I'm thinking of putting it in there. I can't imagine giving birth on the wire cage bottom is pleasant.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Pleased that you found the information good. Keep a close eye on her (without freaking her out) re that second egg that looks due in case it's a dash to the AV. Any doubts regarding this don't question just go. Probably best she cannot hide away btw.

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
I'm concerned about egg binding. I gave her the cuddle hut before seeing your reply, she ran right in there and continued to "push". She doesn't look like she's straining, not breathing heavy either. She just looks very uncomfortable. I finally got a few hours of sleep and still no egg. It hasn't even been 24 hours since her last one, but I see just the slightest bit of white in her bottom. When I peek in her cage, she leaves her cuddle hut and starts chatting away to me. Then goes back to her hut, and continues to sit with her butt in the air. She's also probably totally exhausted.

She seems great, I just want to make sure this is all normal and the egg isn't stuck up there.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh what a scary situation!

Firstly, welcome to the forums! :)

You've received some outstanding advice! It would be a bit unusual, I think, if your girl is ready for egg #2 already. As far as I know they can lay every other day.

Here are some links for you:
How to Know When a Lovebird Has an Egg Coming | Animals - mom.me
Love birds laying too many eggs.. : Lovebird Chat
Breeding Questions and Answers

As for possible egg binding (this DOES require immediate medical attention)
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Avian Reproduction - Egg Binding In Breeding and Pet Birds

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
Ah, thank you both so much. (Amy the lovebird says thank you too). When it comes to pain, she's very stoic, where are my other two birds are a bit over dramatic. I just want her to be okay. So thank you for all the help, my mind is defiantly at ease and I was even able to sleep a few hours, haha!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 120

Most Reactions