First few things to do with a new baby galah?

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
Hello everyone, I am very happy to say that I should be getting a handled, baby galah from Colorado Cockatoos around later 2017 or possibly early 2018 :D. Their babies are socialized with children, so I know that it will be very nice. :)

But back to the question, once I get the baby bird (which will be flown to me) what should I do? Should I let it explore a bit, leave it in it's cage for a few days?:confused: And when should I start to clicker train it, or even start holding it? :eek: Well, thank you for your time. And if there is anything I should know about galahs, like ANYTHING, then I would LOVE to hear! :D

Thanks again, Gracelyn, and Penelope. :yellow1: ;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, in many respects it depends on the bird, but I personally disagree with that whole "settling in thing...

I generally handle every bird that is open to being handled AS SOON AS THEY ALLOW ME TO HANDLE THEM. Kiwi, for example, rode home from the airport on my shoulder, with her head tucked under my chin...

I like to take new birds around the house, and show them everything, so they get a sense of their surroundings. I generally do this one within the first few hours of bringing them home. "This is where you live now. Nothing to be afraid of. See?" Just quietly, attentively, reassuringly walking from room to room with the bird perched on your hand.

The first order of business with any new bird is to establish the every day routine. Once they have a set schedule, they generally thrive. Once the routine is established, they generally go with it.

Leah00

Jan 13, 2014
Southeast Missouri
Parrots
Yoshi - Green Quaker
As long as the bird doesn't seem too stressed, I'd say handle away.
When I brought Yoshi home 2 years ago he sat in his little carrier talking to me the whole drive. When I got him home and tried to put him in his new cage he just kept crawling back up my arm. So I just sat down and talked to him and cuddled him.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I agree with the others. The more interaction you have right away the better. Just let them take the lead. They will tell you with body language if they want to be handled or touched right away. If you are getting a well socialized baby they should be pretty ready for interaction with you. Just enjoy him/her when you get him/her and try not to stress about the little details. ;)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's awesome to feel such excitement in anticipation of something! So I assume your parents are on board 100% with everything, and costs if vet bills should be more than expected? Will they care for both your babies should they need to birdsit long term in upcoming years? I really hope your family is super supportive for this, so that your dream can come true. Until then, keep reading and researching. Research all the negative stuff about parrots as well, okay? ;) All the best to you.

OP
GracelynNBirds

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
That's awesome to feel such excitement in anticipation of something! So I assume your parents are on board 100% with everything, and costs if vet bills should be more than expected? Will they care for both your babies should they need to birdsit long term in upcoming years? I really hope your family is super supportive for this, so that your dream can come true. Until then, keep reading and researching. Research all the negative stuff about parrots as well, okay? ;) All the best to you.

Believe it or not, I'm paying for almost EVERYTHING. I need $1,475 (For one one of their baby galah's plus shipping), and I calculated so many times, but basically I should have enough money by doing my daily chores (which I get $5 every week) and extra chores (I need to get at leas $5 a week), plus my parents want me to love books, so they are going to choose a book for me to read, and if I read it I will get one dollar, (If it's a big one, possibly 2). And If I did that every day, for the next two years, plus the money in my bank, I would have 1,910. I REALLY don't like talking about money because it seems like I'm bragging. But yeah. I would have 400+ dollars to spend on the bird. (Help pay for cages, pellets, toys, ect). To a lot of people it's strange because currently I'm only 11, ahah!

I will be taking care of the bird. My dad used to own an amazon, he can help me if I need help. Also, I have the forum, and lots of books. :) And yes, I do know that it is a LONG TEARM COMMITMENT. I've heard they lived up to 60 years, and I believe it has been recored for 80. Also, for some reason, my dad is REALLY into it. He LOVES the idea of me working hard, and instead of cheeping out of things, waiting patiently, so does my mom. Also, I have heard with the right amount of training they can make great family pets. Of corse they will have their favorite person, but at least I hope everyone, even strangers will be able to cuddle, and pet it. Possibly do commands for future clicker training. :)

For all of my pets, I have done SO MUCH RESEARCH, and I love it. I would spend around 5 hours a day doing anything related for that topic, usually about cons. Oh, and that also reminds me I am homeschooled. (Not like I forgot about it, lol). I get my school, and chores done pretty early, and worst case I could just interact with the bird while doing school. It takes me around 4 hours maximum to do all of my school, again I do it quite quickly. If there is anything else I should know, please let me know! :)

OP
GracelynNBirds

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Thank you everyone for their replies. I will do more research about parrot body language, Once I receive the baby, I will definitely send pictures! Oh, and be prepared for random questions I might ask later, ahah!

Thanks, Gracelyn. :)
(Idk why I say that every time I reply)..

OP
GracelynNBirds

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
As long as the bird doesn't seem too stressed, I'd say handle away.
When I brought Yoshi home 2 years ago he sat in his little carrier talking to me the whole drive. When I got him home and tried to put him in his new cage he just kept crawling back up my arm. So I just sat down and talked to him and cuddled him.

Ahah, I have heard quakers talk, it's super cute! I bet that was quite fun listening, and talking to him. I believe we will drive up to the airport, and get the bird. I don't know if I will let him/her out of the cage though, If it starts to fly I don't want it distracting the driver. But who knows. ;)

Also, thanks again for the reply!

OP
GracelynNBirds

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Well, in many respects it depends on the bird, but I personally disagree with that whole "settling in thing...

I generally handle every bird that is open to being handled AS SOON AS THEY ALLOW ME TO HANDLE THEM. Kiwi, for example, rode home from the airport on my shoulder, with her head tucked under my chin...

I like to take new birds around the house, and show them everything, so they get a sense of their surroundings. I generally do this one within the first few hours of bringing them home. "This is where you live now. Nothing to be afraid of. See?" Just quietly, attentively, reassuringly walking from room to room with the bird perched on your hand.

The first order of business with any new bird is to establish the every day routine. Once they have a set schedule, they generally thrive. Once the routine is established, they generally go with it.

Thanks for the reply! It really does help. :)

OP
GracelynNBirds

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots

It depends in the future. I really don't want to go to a collage that is far away, I would love to do so online. I hope I age slowly... Let me drink some more coffee. ;)

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Congratulations on your future Galah. They are fun birds. Start fun, stay fun. Mine is as goofy now as when he was a baby (he's 13 now). Mine has a quirky sense of humor and is always making up fun games. When he was a baby, he loved peak a boo and it was one of the first things he learned to say. My guy was pretty nippy as a baby (akin to puppy mouthy). It took quite a while but he eventually grew out of that (or just learned). Now, he's pretty good and I haven't been seriously bitten in years. Mine came from a great parrot-only store and I credit them with giving him such an excellent start. Looking forward to your posts when your bird finally arrives. Best of luck to you.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Very good that you are saving money and your parents are on board. Please keep in mind, that purchasing the bird is the "cheap" part. Even after you cover the costs of housing, ect, the weekly maintenance of a bird is greater than 5-10 dollars. You have fresh foods, pellets, treats, toys, vet bills, harnesses/carriers, play-stands, the list goes on.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's so great to hear that Gracelyn, that your dad's excited too :D. I wasn't implying because you are young that you couldn't do it. Not at all, in fact it sounds like you're getting well prepared. Stick around the forum and learn all you can! The reason I mentioned the parents (and also for all who would read this in the future), is because here and on other forums you'd be surprised how common it is to hear of a poor beloved bird suffering because the parents of the minor owner aren't willing to drive them to the vet or help out if an unexpected vet bill is many hundreds to thousands of $. Even we who take the greatest care of our birds still have been faced with this sort of unexpected expense.

I'm not trying to discourage you! Just saying that if your parents are 100% on board, then that is a breath of fresh air to hear about, and it actually makes me happy :)! Believe it or not, it is fairly often (too often) I hear of parents being non-bird or non-pet people, and the poor kid's animal just has to suffer or pass away :(.

AnnBrown

Sep 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Parrots
Razberry, Galah (rose breasted) Cockatoo
Celine, sun conure
Welcome to the Galah family!!! You are going to LOVE there fun outgoing personality! When I brought Raz home (luckily only about an hour drive) I made sure her travel cage was in the passenger seat so that she could see me and we had a conversation the whole way home. When I got home I set her travel cage on the floor close to her stand (which I had already outfitted with toys, food and water) and let her just hang out for about 30 minutes (she seemed really agitated at first) after she calmed down I opened the door and allowed her to come out in her time while I sat quietly on the floor near her. she eventually came walking up. (about 10 minutes) the biggest thing I can say is dont reach into the cage let them come to you. let him/her feel safe.

Most Reactions