A little help please....

GBurger717

Dec 28, 2013
South Central PA
First I would like to introduce myself to the forums since we are new. We are a small family of 3 located in South Central PA I am 30, wife is 28 and our child is 10. We currently have 1 keet and want to add a conure to the family. I am totally disabled and would love to have a conure to spend my time with while the wife is at work and kid is at school. My child does very well with our keet and she has proven she could be a good pet keeper! Thanks in advance for letting us be apart of the forum. Hi all and THANKS for letting me be apart of the forum!

Ok here is the details. We are looking into getting a sun conure and or a green ear conure since we have the room and we love them. I have been reading so much online but all its doing anymore if confusing me so I thought I could ask you all some questions. If you don't mine of course.

First question can any of you recommend a breeder that is within 100 miles of South Central PA. I have been online and see prices anywhere from 125 to 600. I seen Petco has them but I would rather buy from a breeder then the pet store so I know the birds history (even thought I did fall in love with the one at Petco I could not see paying them 700.00 for it. Also why such a price difference I see some sellers selling the same birds but 400 bucks more. I am looking to spend around 250 to 300. Do you all think that's a fair price? Do you know anyone who has one at that price? I want this bird to be a perfect fit.

Also any tips or ideas you could give me would be great. Thanks so much and I look forward to being apart of the forum for awhile.

Carmalita

Dec 27, 2013
nj
Parrots
maximillian pionus
ever consider a reputable rescue organization that could help find the right bird for you? they have such a long lifespan and rescuing an adult animal is a rewarding adventure.

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
Welcome to the forum burger! Nice to see you here :D

I second Camalita. Rescuing birds can have the same reward and effect as buying one, is often (though not always, and should never be the reason) more affordable,

Secondly, the market price is the market price, there is no "fair" price. Some breeders are better than others. Look for breeders that have waitlists, and who hand-pick the owners of their future birds. These are breeders that care about their fids and want to make sure they go to good homes.

Do NOT purchase any animal from petco, ever. Or any other large pet store. Or really, any pet store that isn't hand breeding their birds.

Perhaps I read this wrong (it's hard to understand tone of voice on the internet), but it sounds to me like money might be a little bit tight. Birds are EXPENSIVE. Cages, good food and the bird itself are only the beginning. Birds love playing with toys, and these wear down and will need to be replaced. Regular vet check-ups are absolutely necessary. Now nevermind things like playstands, travel cages and the likes, it ads up quickly. Now I might be wrong and money is no issue! In that case, then I recommend finding a breeder based on the quality of the bird.

As said already, looking into adopting a bird can be an AMAZING experience. People often forget that there are SO many unwanted birds. Even buying a bird on craiglist or whatever used site you use in your area is really considered "adopting" a bird. The average bird goes through 7 household in its life time. It really should only be 1...

Cheers :) Feel free to ask more questions. There are a lot of experts on this forum.

Most Reactions