A little late to the party...

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Hi there :) I've actually been posting for about a week but I never made an official introduction, so, sorry about that! But better late then never, so here goes-

I live in beautiful upstate NY with hubby, 2 dogs, 7 cats, and our newest family member, Lola the Umbrella Cockatoo. She is 5 years old and we adopted her from a family who didn't have time for her anymore. We've only had her 4 days(!) but so far she has been just a darling. In fact, I'm actually quite shocked that she has adjusted so well! Don't get me wrong, she is a Too after all, and does have her bratty moments lol. But she is friendly as can be and from all signs is completely content with us, although she isn't 100% on her other furred siblings yet, but that will come in time.

I have had some experience in the past with others who owned cockatoo's, but this is my first one to personally 'own' and care for. And boy, is there a LOT to learn! I want to do everything right to keep a happy, healthy, and well adjusted Too- so I've been reading like crazy and I'll definitely be posting with questions. I work from home doing web and graphic design, so I have plenty of time to devote to her, and luckily we are in a rural area and the noise of a Too isn't a problem.

Thanks for all the help so far, and the help that is sure to come in the future- this is a great forum and I'm happy to be here :)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Love the name Lola! My B&G girl is named Lola as well... :D

I hope Lola stays as sweet as she is now cause your still in the honeymoon period....Just be watchful of her!

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
LOL I know it! We are still very cautious especially when she gets all worked up- which is SO fun, but we know it is also prime biting time. I would not be shocked if things changed eventually... and I sure don't look forward to seeing what Spring brings us. But we will deal with what comes our way and make the best of it :)

She came with the name Lola, but I love it- only thing that is kind of a pain is it is so close to our dog's name, Bella, so they get confused at times!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Start singing her this song!!! I sing it to my Lola all the time, she start dancing to it wigging her head around.... [ame=http://youtu.be/HeplUHZsHfo]Copacabana 1978 Barry Alan Harold Pincus Manilow 1923 Brazil Famous Rio de Janeiro Beach Hotel Song - YouTube[/ame]

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
HAHAHA, we've been singing a bit of Lola, by The Kinks, and Layla by Clapton, but as Lola, of course. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Ours came with a different name, Keiko. the name we give her is her third name I think? Ever since we started calling her Lola, she's been saying it ever since. Plus she knows her name quite well now. She's a talker too, calls the dog's name, call the other bird's names. Then last week I found out she knows my name too...lol...She knows I was outside and she kept yapping for me then she called out my name. I stood there and told my partner Lola knows my name, I happen to be right by the back door when she called me so I heard her clear as day.

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
I probably would have changed that too- I know plenty of people who would like the name Keiko, but I don't like harsh sounding letters in names... Lola feels so much better to me. And the only thing we know that Lola can say so far is... 'Hi Lola!' so she definitely knows her name well! She mutters crazy stuff though, more and more often, it's kind of creepy actually but the people we got her from warned us and said it is part of her learning new words, which I read elsewhere online as well. So I'm just waiting to hear what she pops out next! We haven't been able to decipher any of it so far, lol.

Any hints on teaching them to talk? I know Too's aren't naturally big talkers, but since she can talk a little, any idea if that means she can definitely talk more if taught somehow? Or is it possible that's all she'll ever know... of course it doesn't *matter*, but it would be fun!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Most of the Cockatoos I've met and owned mumbles a lot! And sometimes they talk so light you can hardly understand what they're saying, even harder for me since I'm partially deaf. The way I teach mine to talk is by saying the same word over and over, I repeat it every time I see them. But sometimes they just catch on with certain words and say it right away even though you haven't said it to them very much. Java the U2 knows how to dance, I start clapping my hands and started jumping up and down, he started jumping up and down, bobbing his head up and down. They catch on things very quickly trust me. So always watch what you say around them if you don't want them to repeat it....lol

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Aww that's cute :) Lola dances when she feels like it, but we can't seem to get her going just by doing it in front of her. But once she gets going- look out! She's in full on over excited Too mode and it's absolutely precious and hilarious!

Thanks for the talking advice- I'll work on repetition and see what happens :)

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Congratulations on Lola. I've wanted a Cockatoo my whole life. She sounds like fun!
Mikey is right, just repeat things to her. Remember, she is always listening. Parrots are nosy that way! Trixie (GCC) is a talker and she can say, "Trixie", "Becca", "Brandon" (kids names), "What?" "My baby" and "pretty bird". Once in a while she'll say "Monkey" (cat) or "Phoebe" (dog). She cackles too, lol.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sitting here laughing so hard I'm crying. I seriously can't get over the YouTube link Mikey posted.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!! :D Great to have you on board.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome NeverBroken
Lola sounds like an Angel

Keep talking to Lola 24/7 mention what your are doing, cleaning, washing, showering etc.... keep her in your daily conversation each and every day.

They absorb each and every word, not saying them immediately, but in time it will pay off.

Enjoy our wonderful forum

Most Reactions