Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I saw this on my FB feed yesterday and had to share...so true, not only about birds, but all pets.
foreverbird_zps9f67d6f9.jpg

birdstheword

Aug 26, 2014
Colorado
Parrots
Marvel, 14-year-old Black Headed Caique
so, of course i agree with the principle of this but a question came to mind with that last statement...what if you don't decide to get a parrot (because you hadn't previously discovered the joy of their companionship, because you weren't stable enough, because you couldn't afford one) until you are, say, in your 40s? and you get a bird that will live into your old age? should you just not get one at all if you'll have to have a backup plan when you pass away or are too old to properly care for the animal?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think you need to just have a plan on where the bird will go if something happens to you so that you can no longer care for him/her. I am in my 50's, and there is a good chance my fids will outlive me...so I have a plan in place to care for them:)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am sharing this. So very true. As to saying that you will have to wait until you are in your 40s, that is not true. It is an issue of commitment, not convenience. I have made this commitment in my early 20s. Also, I believe every pet owner should have a backup plan for if something happens to them.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I think the point of the message is directed toward any potential bird owner of any age group. Simply put, no one should take the decision lightly, the bird's health, happiness, and in some cases their lives, are at stake. No one can foresee the future, no matter what our plans are, sometimes life events happen and cause a sea change. All we can do is give them the best life possible, as long as we can and have a plan in place if things fall apart, and try our hardest to put the bird's welfare first.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sage advice both the OP pic and subsequent commentary.

Most if not all the regulars on this forum deeply love their birds and understand they are unorthodox living companions. Too many folks inadequately care for their conventional dogs and cats, and have terribly preconceived notions of the increased committments necessary for avians. If more folks heeded the pic advice we'd have fewer serially rehomed birds.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
It's all very true and I agree completely (it's true for spouses and kids as well, LOL), but you never know what circumstances can happen in your life. Sometimes it is better to rehome a bird (or, dog, or cat, etc) than let it suffer with you.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
It's all very true and I agree completely (it's true for spouses and kids as well, LOL), but you never know what circumstances can happen in your life. Sometimes it is better to rehome a bird (or, dog, or cat, etc) than let it suffer with you.

I agree, sometimes it's better to rehome the spouse ;-)

Most Reactions