A true gift!

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
So I had this very long story almost completely typed out and it got erased I really hate computers!:mad:

Long story condensed..A couple that heard about my husband and I and our devotion to our birds decided after having this LOVELY girl for almost 10 yrs, she was 6 months old when they got her that she was no longer having any kind of life. She has been locked away in her cage getting out maybe a half hour or so once a week because the pit bull they have wants to eat her and once she flew into the window so they thought it safer if she was in her cage, where she has stayed for many years now!

I was contacted, my immediate reaction was NO! After listening to the story, I said I would meet her if she didn't hate me I would think about it, they didn't want money just a good home. Well she didn't hate me, she is without a doubt the most beautiful Magna DYH I have ever seen in person. She is not aggressive just afraid, even with three people trying to get her off the top of the cage she would grab fingers but never once applied any pressure!

She is VERY over-weight and while not clipped I doubt she could fly very far even if she tried. Her toenails are super long and super sharp. The pictures were taken while she was sitting on the travel carrier and I was setting up her new cage. They offered me hers but it was a rusted p.o.s. so I said no thank you, it might be better to just have everything be new for her all at once. While she was exploring the cage I was able to stealthy cut a few toenails, I really don't want to have to towel her just yet. She is separate from the other birds right now to let her settle in. She lived her whole life in the same house with no other birds so I am not worried too much. Last night when the zon's were out on their stands she could hear them and started talking to them long distance.:D

So here she is, any questions, fire away, as I said this was a much longer story until it got erased and I was not going to retype the whole thing! Also I could use some help with a new name something fitting of her spectacular beauty. She doesn't say the name she was given so I can pick anything.

IMG_5420_zpsceed2857.jpg

IMG_5419_zpsb5aa52cb.jpg
IMG_5421_zps73b9e296.jpg

Labell, your new Amazon girl is just GORGEOUS! How fortunate for you to find each other!!! :)

I like these Amazonian names for girls:

Asteria- 'of the sky'

Euryleia- 'woman wanderer'

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
WOW!!!

What a beautiful bird! Congratulations! She seems like a real sweetheart!

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Her yellow colors are amazing! Talk about a Triple Yellow Head Amazon!
As for her name, maybe Aditi? Its a Hindu Sun Goddess.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Wow Laura, she is just simply gorgeous. So glad that she is settling in well and I am sure with your love she will be thriving in no time. :)

As others have said, there can never be too many pics of a birdie this awesome....:D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow, she is STUNNING! What a gem of an amazon!

I bet once her quarantine is over and she sees your other zons playing, exercising and eating healthful foods, she will quickly follow suit. It's a lot easier to tempt them into things when they see their own kind doing it too!

Edit: And if you haven't already named her, I kind of like "Bella". IMO, she needs a name that means beautiful because she is so beautiful!

Last edited:
OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Wow, she is STUNNING! What a gem of an amazon!

I bet once her quarantine is over and she sees your other zons playing, exercising and eating healthful foods, she will quickly follow suit. It's a lot easier to tempt them into things when they see their own kind doing it too!

Edit: And if you haven't already named her, I kind of like "Bella". IMO, she needs a name that means beautiful because she is so beautiful!

LOL! Great minds, I was actually tossing around the idea of Bella or Diva (Diva used to mean great singer) now the word has been used to describe nasty women who must have their way so it has a little less appeal to me than the old meaning. While I will admit to being a BIG "Twilight" fan, most things vampire really, I didn't want people to think she was named after THAT Bella....so still thinking it over.:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What about just Belle then? The disney Belle wears a yellow dress and is a much better "named after" IMO;)

LilChodi954

Jun 27, 2014
South & Central Florida
Parrots
Lil Chodi - 12 year old Male DYH Amazon
Gizmo - 19 year old Male DYH Amazon
Sasha - 9 year old CAG
OMG, LilChodi, my husband and I are absolutely in love with your new baby. She looks angelic. We are so happy for you and her. I showed my husband your post last night, and we keep coming back to see her photos. She is just amazing and we are so happy that she is in a home where she will be loved.
P.S. LilChodi included a "selfie" for her (to be named :) )

Last edited:

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
I like the name Ella...i think it means beautiful?

Very good looking bird, it is nice that she isn't too aggressive to you. It is nice the family realized it was a bad situation for the bird.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Congrats. That sure is good find. Hope she settles in soon.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Congrats. That sure is good find. Hope she settles in soon.

Thanks Richard, I am really glad these folks decided she would be happier here with me!

My biggest issue right now is getting her to a healthy weight she is a chunky monkey! She is nibbling on some pea sprouts right now which is great it's the first really healthy thing she has eaten with any real interest.

She was on both seed and pellets but very low quality Wal-mart seed. I changed that right away and added good pellets, dried fruits and veggies as well as quality seed (small amount). Everyone around here gets their dry food pulled in the morning and fresh fruits and veggies put in so this is their only food choice most of the day.

It took Brady (YN) a little while to get used to the routine here but she was over weight as well so I didn't worry too much I figured if she got hungry enough she would eat the good stuff which is exactly what happen, now she about cleans her bowl of fresh every morning, with even more gusto than the baby zons and slightly less enthusiasm than the eclectus lol!

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Oh my gosh, she's simply gorgeous!

What about Confetti or Saffron?

Edit: We posted at the same time. Just wanted to add -- that's some amazing enthusiasm, then! No one eats with more gusto than an eclectus :D

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh she is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! WOW! Lucky you and lucky bird!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have been finding myself in the Amazon section a LOT. What a BEAUTIFUL mature girl there! I'm slowly becoming quite the Amazon fan with all the wonderful posts on this form. I also have been watching your Amazon family grow so I wonder if Eclectus lovers are also Amazon lovers too.

My experiences with Eclectus have always been positive and I am in love with the species. I don't have much experience with Amazons except though others bird owners and with reading about people's Amazons on this form but I am slowly really turning into a Amazon lover myself.

I have seen posts from you that expressed very well your passion and love for the Eclectus species I was wondering when and how you developed your passion for the Amazons?

Personally I am seriously looking into the Panama Amazon for my next flock member. I know it is hard on Valentino to be alone all day while I have to go to work so I want to have at least two parrots in the home. They are so much more happier in a flock.

If I get a female amazon I am debating calling her Marisol. Since your lady has such a beautiful yellow head and vibrant colors (amazing because of her previous diet) I happen to think Marisol is a wonderful name for such a beautiful parrot.

I am looking forward to reading more posts with more pictures of your new lovely lady.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I have been finding myself in the Amazon section a LOT. What a BEAUTIFUL mature girl there! I'm slowly becoming quite the Amazon fan with all the wonderful posts on this form. I also have been watching your Amazon family grow so I wonder if Eclectus lovers are also Amazon lovers too.

My experiences with Eclectus have always been positive and I am in love with the species. I don't have much experience with Amazons except though others bird owners and with reading about people's Amazons on this form but I am slowly really turning into a Amazon lover myself.

I have seen posts from you that expressed very well your passion and love for the Eclectus species I was wondering when and how you developed your passion for the Amazons?

Personally I am seriously looking into the Panama Amazon for my next flock member. I know it is hard on Valentino to be alone all day while I have to go to work so I want to have at least two parrots in the home. They are so much more happier in a flock.

If I get a female amazon I am debating calling her Marisol. Since your lady has such a beautiful yellow head and vibrant colors (amazing because of her previous diet) I happen to think Marisol is a wonderful name for such a beautiful parrot.

I am looking forward to reading more posts with more pictures of your new lovely lady.

Eclectus will always be one of my favorite parrots but my first and most precious love was a yellow nape. I wrote about my dear boy "Karma" he chose me and hated every one else. His death was so very hard on me that I stayed away from amazon's for many many, years. I was really afraid that a new one would pale to the bond I had with him. I really needed to let enough time pass that I would not compare another bird to him.

Each of my zon's have very different personalities. I think if I had to be honest Brady is the one that most makes me think of Karma. Maybe because she was older as well and chose me. I am glad that Brady will step up to my husband and others Karma NEVER did that but Brady has chosen me as her favorite and I feel quite honored by her love and trust!

I believe in time this new DYH will be affectionate as well but it was love at first sight between me and Karma and the same thing happen when Brady met me. There was no break in time it was as if we had known each other forever.:D

Mojo loves me and only me which is odd for such a young baby but it is what it is. The other night he was being particularly loving to me and my husband was sitting there watching and I said "look how sweet he is with me" my husband's reply...Yeah, Hitler loved his mother too! I'm afraid Mojo's treatment of my husband has scarred him for life!:p

Mystic is much more independent, Mystic will tolerate some loving but would much rather play and attack toys. He/she is still so young though that her personality is still very much developing, Mojo as well for that matter.

I think maybe amazon's appeal to me because they are independent and always giving their all whatever they are doing. I don't need a bird to be super Velcro I have that bad enough with my dogs but I will tell you when the zon's are out and playing and screaming and laughing they are more fun to just watch and be in their presence. Such a ZEST for life! I think that is it in a nut shell I am a very passionate person, I live life with enthusiasm and creative passion if something is boring or tedious I find a way to make it fun, I really am one of those bubbly pain in the butt people who can put a happy spin on anything. Many years ago I made my husband promise not to film me while I cook, clean or paint because I am typically singing at the top of my lungs or dancing...what parrot does that sound like? When I am mad I stomp my foot, puff up all 5 feet 110 lbs and won't back down. Yep, I AM an amazon!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I love your husband's response. That cracked me up. I am afraid of zons. The first and worst bite I ever got was from a nape.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you so much with sharing your experiences and passion with your Amazon flock. I really believe my next parrot will be an amazon. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't pay more attention and try harder to experience amazons before now. I know I am a macaw person through and through because the mini's and my Valentino fit in with my personality so well.

I can understand when a parrot is bonded to you to the exclusion of all others. That bond seems to be so special and very close. I had that with Diego my Illiger's macaw. I am told that I favored him out of all my boys. I denied this because of course I love ALL my parrots but with Diego he had that love for me no one else had.

I can understand how Karma's loss affected you. I am like that with Joaquin my Solomon Island Eclectus. He was a very special Eclectus who was blessed with being able to help the mentally ill and bring the dying peace. We had did some wonderful work with pet therapy as Joaquin was so very talented with this work. To be honest I don't think I can have another Eclectus, Illliger's or Noble macaw in my life because of my boys. It will take a very long time before I can, if ever, have these species in my life again.

Someday I would love to be able to do more community service with my parrot. However Valentino would NOT make a good therapy pet because of his personality. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Valentino but he is way too loud, active, and can be very willful with cooperating with the needs I have to have a parrot be able to do for the kind of work I want to be doing. I realize for me to be able to get back into my community service I need a parrot that will be friendly to everyone with a steady temperament and social personality.

Both my Eclectus and Noble macaw did fit that bill but I cannot bring myself to bring home either of these species again.

I do believe the species of Amazon have huge potential for me because of the kind of person I am. I would not have specific plans for my next flock member (like the community work I want to do) but am more interested in the best fit possible for Valentino and I.

Most Reactions