A true gift!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
One thing I wanted to add that I believe is true with most amazon's is that they are always in tune with your emotions. Reach in a hurry, in frustration or anger to pick up an amazon and you will get bit! If you are agitated or depressed they will know it and respond in kind. I know it's true with other species as well but I have seen it most consistently with amazons. I think being upbeat, confident and calm goes a long way to keeping them calm.

I do encourage mine to have bouts of rowdy, crazy growling toy attacking fun and to get as loud as they please. We can shake the windows when they really get going, it brings me joy to hear them get like that because I know it's in their nature to be bigger than life. Then of course once they hit the fun over-load it's hands off until they dial it back down because even if they love you at that point there is no restraint on their behalf.

So the previous owners told me she loves music and loves to dance doing a Stevie Wonder head thing. So I have been playing LOTS of different kinds of music and finally found the artist that gets her going....Adele, I had to laugh, the chunky girl bird likes the amazing voice and sassy attitude of the chunky and proud girl!:p

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor "Ms. Bird" (you haven't named her yet right?):( She's not chunky, she's "full figured":)

How much does she weigh BTW and how long is she? DYH's can be quite large. My mom's female probably weighs about 500grams and she is all muscle from all the flying she does (not that she doesn't also have a very healthy appetite:54:). Then again, Lucy is also about 16" long (an overall exceptionally large DYH, so her weight is proportional). I've seen obese parrots before, but your girl doesn't look *that* big to me. Maybe it's just the camera angle though.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Poor "Ms. Bird" (you haven't named her yet right?):( She's not chunky, she's "full figured":)

How much does she weigh BTW and how long is she? DYH's can be quite large. My mom's female probably weighs about 500grams and she is all muscle from all the flying she does (not that she doesn't also have a very healthy appetite:54:). Then again, Lucy is also about 16" long (an overall exceptionally large DYH, so her weight is proportional). I've seen obese parrots before, but your girl doesn't look *that* big to me. Maybe it's just the camera angle though.

I haven't gotten her on the scale yet but believe me she is a chunky gal. I put a perch in the cage the first day that should have worked, she actually made it bend down too far so I had to remove it and go with a thicker shorter perch! I know she is over 500 grams, I picked her up on a long holiday weekend so no vet visit yet and I don't want to do anything at this point to endanger her trust in me. Believe me I would love to towel her, cut her toenails and weigh her but I am forcing myself to take it slow.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
*THIS* is what I think of when I think of an obese parrot (this is an image offline)

3354081934_fd288a2101.jpg

I think it's that she doesn't have a fat and neck head in the pics thats making her look smaller than she is in real life (I'm sure with your bird experience you have a good idea of what she weighs even w/o having used a scale). I'll be interested in what the vet has to say:)

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
HOLY MOLY!!! That poor bird! No, she is no where near that fat but she is fully flighted and has a decidedly downward glide when she attempts to fly. I can see that she has too much flesh on either side of her keel bone but I will update with weight and vet comments which ever happens first. I have been trying to stealthily clip a nail here and there as she climbs around the cage, I have managed to get a few but she is getting wiser to what I am doing and moves her foot faster. Stinker!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
WOW WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BIRD! Congrats! She is lucky to have found you!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Well I knew from having her on my arm that she was well over 500 grams but my goodness I got her on the scale this morning and she weighs in at a whooping 625 grams!:eek: Her nails are sharp as razors, hubby is going to love the plan tonight to have him help me towel her and cut those nails. I can't do any exercising her when she has scalpels for feet! OUCH!

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
I think Adele is actually a pretty awesome name!

I like everybody's suggestions of goddesses and other powerful women. I like the theme of big, powerful Amazonian women too, or elegant female singers. What about Xena? Aretha? Whitney?

I think my favorite would be Jolene, like the Dolly Parton song. In the song, Jolene is a seductive and beautiful woman who has the power to beguile men.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ooo I like the name Jolene....I have a friend who's little girl is named Adalee (reminds me of a cute version of Adele)

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
She officially has a name, I was already leaning toward Belle but then earlier I was doing my daily meditation and sometimes I have this beautiful Tibetan Bell that I ring, well she loved the sound of that so Belle it is!!:D

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Beautiful! What a lovely Belle she is :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I love the name Belle for her. It suits her perfectly:) The "Belle" of the ball for sure! I still can't get over how much you lucked out finding such a beautiful bird:D

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
How is your new girl ?

Most Reactions