A weekly photo contest?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sounds good to me.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Also even though they do monthly contests they have a few categories. Fresh water, saltwater, and something else that slips my mind.

Maybe you could do a couple categories such as small birds and large birds. (in the description write what qualifies as each size). I only recommend this because a lot of people will have some bias in their votes based on the types of birds they prefer.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I don't think you need to worry about big/small bird, we all love birds and realize some big birds come in small packages.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I don't think you need to worry about big/small bird, we all love birds and realize some big birds come in small packages.

I agree that mostly everyone on this forum probably finds every bird beautiful. I still have no doubt that many find macaws more beautiful than any other bird etc. I do believe that will be reflected in votes.
I also think there will be A LOT of entries.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Unlike some bird forums we don't condescend people for having a smaller bird, all birds are fantastic and I believe the photos will speak for themselves.

We sure are lucky to have the ancestors of bipedal meat eating dinosaurs, such as T. rex and raptors, as our companions. Maybe a good contest could be something that expresses their ancestry

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
That's not what I was implying at all.
Just more so "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" that's all. Often times I log on and more people are viewing conures and macaws sections than all of the others combined. Regardless, I think SOME sort of categories would be helpful.
Just my humble opinion

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like this idea for once a month I'd probably be willing to enter.

Pyscho I believe even though some value bigger birds more, the quality of the picture will take the cake I mean some love birds taken in the right pose will look amazing compared to a horrible picture of a hyacinth macaw. I get what you mean and I think it sounds fine, but I believe in order for it to be a "contest" it needs to be more on the lines of everything. Not trying to bash as I think you can be right, so please don't take it like that:p, but in a contest style it'd be better to have them. All in one I think. Or I mean you'd have to make categories for everyone single type of bird IMO. So we could do one for cockatoos(Rosie's would probably win), macaws, cockatiels, etc...

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I like this idea for once a month I'd probably be willing to enter.

Pyscho I believe even though some value bigger birds more, the quality of the picture will take the cake I mean some love birds taken in the right pose will look amazing compared to a horrible picture of a hyacinth macaw. I get what you mean and I think it sounds fine, but I believe in order for it to be a "contest" it needs to be more on the lines of everything. Not trying to bash as I think you can be right, so please don't take it like that:p, but in a contest style it'd be better to have them. All in one I think. Or I mean you'd have to make categories for everyone single type of bird IMO. So we could do one for cockatoos(Rosie's would probably win), macaws, cockatiels, etc...

I see what you're saying. No offense taken. I just feel like most people would be interested in submitting a photo. I think without SOME sort of categories there will be 100 photos to choose from.
More ideas could be humorous photo, group photo, cute photo, outdoor photo, photo with a toy, etc.. Whatever it may be. Even if there is a different category each month. I just think it will be a little less chaotic.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
A themed contest would be fun sometimes. I like to see all birds no matter what the size.

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Okay so I'm going to start the contest tonight, you guys will have one month to submit photos, I will let you know what the theme is after I have a chat to Tabitha and Casey tonight.
It will start at 8pm tonight (Melbourne, Australia time) so work out the time differences because you guys come from everywhere! Lol and let your selfs know!
And it will end in exactly a month, at 8pm that night.
I think the most effective and fair way to go about voting is by counting votes by how many thanks we get on the post with the photo in it. There will only be one winner.
Rules-
Everyone can have three votes each, no more, I will be checking :p
You can only submit ONE photo
If you have multiple parrots, there can only be one in the photo (saves having the problem of people getting the advantage of having more cuties in one pic) unless there is a theme that includes multiple birds, and there will be some!
Last rule- HAVE FUN! :D

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Also still figuring out prizes will let you know what the winner will be receiving ASAP!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Okay so I'm going to start the contest tonight, you guys will have one month to submit photos, I will let you know what the theme is after I have a chat to Tabitha and Casey tonight.
It will start at 8pm tonight (Melbourne, Australia time) so work out the time differences because you guys come from everywhere! Lol and let your selfs know!
I think the most effective and fair way to go about voting is by counting votes by how many thanks we get on the post with the photo in it. There will only be one winner.
Rules-
If you have multiple parrots, there can only be one in the photo (saves having the problem of people getting the advantage of having more cuties in one pic) unless there is a theme that includes multiple birds, and there will be some!

Hi Brodie,

I think this is going to be alot of fun for everyone:)

I have a suggestion for you! Have you considered doing the voting by poll? Members can only do 1 vote as once you have voted, it will not allow you to vote again.

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Rules-

Hi Brodie,

I think this is going to be alot of fun for everyone:)

I have a suggestion for you! Have you considered doing the voting by poll? Members can only do 1 vote as once you have voted, it will not allow you to vote again.

I did consider it, but I was going to try both ways and see which works best, and which members would prefer to use, next months entries will be done with the voting poll :)

Most Reactions