Abnormal faeces in my Sun Parakeet

AasuK

Feb 18, 2024
Parrots
1 Sun Parrot
Hello, I have seen today some strange faeces in my parrot, being extremely liquid and greenish. Attached photo. Normally it is more solid and with normal colouring. His behaviour is the same as always, he has clean water and a diet rich in nuts, dried fruits, some seeds, apples, bananas and pears mainly.

Any idea if it is a normal bowel movement, a dietary issue or a more difficult cause.
Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-18 at 18.11.51 (1).jpeg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would say it’s on the loose side of normal.
parrot poop can vary greatly depending on their diet.
fruit can make it watery .
main thing is (I think) to have a 50/50 mix of solid and liquid waste.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hola! Welcome and be welcomed!

As Texsize said, parrots poops directly reflects their diets. A 'normal' parrot poop has a certain amount of water, white uremic acid and green solids (with coloring varying). Think 33% of each. If your birdy had veggies in his diet (which he should), the poops will better reflect that mix. The fact that the poops pictured above have neither clear water or white uremic acid troubles me.

Look in our Health and Nutrition sub- forum, there are many recipes for what is called chop - its just a wide variety of different veggies, chopped up in sizes to suit your parrot. May take awhile to get him to eat it, but well worth the effort to better round out his diet. We prepare a few months worth, and freeze it in about a 3 day serving amount, break off a days worth for Saltys dinner.

OP
A

AasuK

Feb 18, 2024
Parrots
1 Sun Parrot
Hola! Welcome and be welcomed!

As Texsize said, parrots poops directly reflects their diets. A 'normal' parrot poop has a certain amount of water, white uremic acid and green solids (with coloring varying). Think 33% of each. If your birdy had veggies in his diet (which he should), the poops will better reflect that mix. The fact that the poops pictured above have neither clear water or white uremic acid troubles me.

Look in our Health and Nutrition sub- forum, there are many recipes for what is called chop - its just a wide variety of different veggies, chopped up in sizes to suit your parrot. May take awhile to get him to eat it, but well worth the effort to better round out his diet. We prepare a few months worth, and freeze it in about a 3 day serving amount, break off a days worth for Saltys dinner.
Update:
The defecation in the first image was only at that time and day. But today I found that it has become more solid as well as slimy, with a green colour. I give him mostly apples and bananas, because he always throws the vegetables away or bites me.

What could it be due to? Parasitic infection?
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 10.02.27.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts