About Cage Cleaning

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
I've read either here or elsewhere to not use chemical cleansers to clean the cage, but wanted to see if a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and water would do to wipe down the cage. Earlier I washed his toys, perches and swing with good hot water.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You can easily buy better cleaners but ACV is acceptable--F10 SC is much better though...It really depends on what you are cleaning.

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
We use vinegar and peroxide to clean just about everything in the house. Peroxide can also be diluted for cleaning, and doesnā€™t leave a scent behind. Strong smells give me horrible migraines so this was an easy one for us. Peroxide is especially helpful for anything thatā€™s going to need a scrub. The bubbles loosen it up, then scrub and rinse thoroughly. We havenā€™t needed to do a heavy cleaning because when your keeping things tidy there is less heavy duty stuff down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I use F10, which is a veterinary grade cleaner that both sanitizes and disinfects while also cleaning. It's so safe, you can even spray it on the sprouts they eat to clean them.

I buy it from Amazon and it comes in a small bottle you dilute with water.

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I use F10, which is a veterinary grade cleaner that both sanitizes and disinfects while also cleaning. It's so safe, you can even spray it on the sprouts they eat to clean them.

Can you post a pic of the stuff amazon sells please? I know Iā€™m going to need a heavy duty cleaning eventually...Iā€™m just hoping to hold off until Skye is okay out of the cage. So far he hasnā€™t had any time out of his cage but this weekend is going to be our first try!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
DK what I think about spraying it on sprouts, but I will say, mine ate some once with no ill-effects!!! eek!!!!!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

Can you post a pic of the stuff amazon sells please? I know Iā€™m going to need a heavy duty cleaning eventually...Iā€™m just hoping to hold off until Skye is okay out of the cage. So far he hasnā€™t had any time out of his cage but this weekend is going to be our first try!

F10SC Disinfectant

F10SCXD with detergent

I think most use the disinfectant only, I use the disinfectant with detergent

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

F10SC Disinfectant

F10SCXD with detergent

I think most use the disinfectant only, I use the disinfectant with detergent

Thank you!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
see below-- got an error message and then double posted by mistake!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
This is what I use:

51wMhR-OKtL._AC_SX425_.jpg

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Unless you have a large aviary, buy the 3.4oz size as a little goes a long way and it does expire.

F10SC
General disinfection at 1:500 (2ml in 1 liter of water) High level disinfection against bacteria, fungi and most viruses at 1:250 (4ml to 1 liter of water) For use against the most resistant viruses such as Parvovirus or PBFD at 1:125 (8ml in 1 liter or water)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
depends on what you are after-- I do 1:250 which ils 2 ml to 17 oz h20. That kills most viruses and bacteria. The lower levels, not so much. It really does just depend though...I have always used this ratio and I have no issues, but you could go lower if you wanted. It expires 6 months after mixing with water and stays for about 3 yrs otherwise.

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
depends on what you are after-- I do 1:250 which ils 2 ml to 17 oz h20. That kills most viruses and bacteria. The lower levels, not so much. It really does just depend though...I have always used this ratio and I have no issues, but you could go lower if you wanted. It expires 6 months after mixing with water and stays for about 3 yrs otherwise.

Unless my math is off, that's still 25 liters per 3.4oz ;)...for me that a lot of cleaning ;)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Unless my math is off, that's still 25 liters per 3.4oz ;)...for me that a lot of cleaning ;)

It;s like 17 gallons if I recall..I think...

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Holy...wow...thatā€™s really concentrated. Makes me wonder how toxic it would be if the kids got ahold of it. Not that they would, but wow. Thatā€™s some potent stuff. How does it smell? Is it strong? Walking through a garden can give me a migraine, so Iā€™m just wondering if this is a task for when I wonā€™t be home for several hours after?

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
The concentrate does not smell all that strong to me and the diluted mix hardly smells at all....at least to me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It really is safe-- the US label makes it seem way worse than the European one---I even called because it seemed dangerous but it isn't. My CAV approves, as do many others and I have gotten the concentrate on my skin with no issues ever.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
or you can use white vinegar. if you rinse well with water, all the smell goes away.

OP
Jasmine333

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
Birdman666 swears by Gain laundry detergent, diluted! Of course, thoroughly rinsed!

Think I'd rather try the F10 or white vinegar. I'm not a fan of Gain, ruined some garments in the wash by leaving large bleached looking splotches.

Most Reactions