About my new zon

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hi Im new ,thanks for everyones welcomes. Im not new to birds but my blue front is making me feel like I am. My Rosebreasted 2 died a few months ago . Thats why I decided my name to be Pink birdy [I miss her so].I couldnt stand looking at her empty cage and knew another bird was in store for me.My friends begged me to do a rescue or craigslist.i thought they were right .I kept my eye out and saw this amazon ad.Ive never owned one.His owner had him in too small of cage[I thought]] and one toy stripped to the bell. I was able to have him step up on me.They wanted to sell him for christmas money so of course I took him.:) Im used to my birds stepping up on me.Hes bit me twice[my fault ] taking him out of his cage and off his playstand.His bite was WOW I thought I guess Ive met my match.Ive taken a step back and realized he had to trust me.Im so thankful hes taught so much.Now after two months he comes down to see me on the couch and headbuts me to get his head rubbed [forever]. I ask him to come here .Sometimes he tells me no other times he says hold on .I love these rehomes you never know what their going to say.:) He acts alot older than my other birds.I was told he was 11.My vet read his band and I found out he was wild caught and at least 32! Trying to get a hold of the dep.of agriculture to find out more info.[They dont return calls well]Its neat to see so many zon owners and Ive been reading through the threads and can relate to many things.Hes so different than my other birds.Like he takes my finger and puts it in his mouth[What does that mean?]Guess hes giving me some trust training:)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
LOL

Welcome, my amazon is guestimate 35 and wild caught. He doesn't have a band but the rescue where he was surrendered to was because the owner had passed away and had owned him for 30 plus years than his son had him for 3 etc.

Bosley puts my finger in his mouth too.
He does it sometimes when I'm giving him head scratches and sometimes even when I'm not. I like your idea though trust training LOL

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome! And THANK YOU for giving Tequila such a GREAT home!!! Even if he's in his 30s, you will have MANY MANY years together with him. :)

Sounds like the 2 of you hit if off rather quickly! It only gets better. ;) Amazons are SO full of personality. You'll get plenty of laughs, I'm sure.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
How long have have you had your zon? I hope tequila has alot of years left.One thing I have to work on with him on .Is I have to use a stick to get him back in his cage.Ive been stranded before.Hes climbed on my stomach on the couch and I dont have the stick for him to get on,and he wont get off.I have to call my family for help.LOL

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've had Hunter for almost 14 years (I got her when she was about 3 months old), and I've had Sam since he was 8 weeks, he will be 1 in April. :)

Be patient with Tequila. You haven't had him for very long, and I think you've come a long way in a short amount of time. As the 2 of you get to know each other more and more, trust will come all on its own, and before you know it, you may no longer need a stick/perch to put him back in his cage. :)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
I have had Bosley almost 6 months now.
Tequila and you seem to be getting on great, love and patience will go far.

Bosley hates sticks so I have had to train him using my hands/arms
It takes a while to get that trust and build the bond, but oh so wonderful and amazing when you do. You are on the right track.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I have had Bosley almost 6 months now.
Tequila and you seem to be getting on great, love and patience will go far.

Bosley hates sticks so I have had to train him using my hands/arms
It takes a while to get that trust and build the bond, but oh so wonderful and amazing when you do. You are on the right track.
Our Zons seem to be about the same age.Does yours sleep alot? Its fun listening to him [does yours talk?] He says new stuff all the time.Like recently mommy im a good boy and What up [which he says alot and I dont care for that slang]but he came from a house of teenagers and I can picture them walking buy his cage all the time and saying What up:) The other night I had tequila on the arm of the couch ,I had a bathrobe on and it was untied he rolled off the arm and somehow landed inside my robe on his back with his feet in the air,and his head [and beak] against my waist [I was crapping my pants imagining him biting me there[he didnt].I think he was rolling on his back to me [which i do with my macaw all the time and he watches us]i think we are progressing:)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
He sleeps a fair amount, he gets his naps during the day when I'm at work and is full of energy in the evening. He doesn't talk too much, but vocalizes a lot.
Unfortunately he came with F** you and F*** off as part of his vocabulary, I'm trying to change it to Love you LOL.
Amazons love to be the clown, he's hung off my clothes, climbs up my back sometimes and I've got him to go on his back a few times.

Glad to hear of all the progress!!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Pink, sounds like your progressing just fine. Thanks for giving an older zon a new home. I;ve had most of my zons for many years. My "girl" is a hen nape called "Jake" ,she's been with me since i was a kid. I know about trying to get info on quarantine bands from the USDA, super frustrating. PM me your band numbers and i'll see what i can find out. Glad to see you around on the forum.

Most Reactions