ABV tests POSITIVE

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
YUM, I’m so very sorry to hear this. I know how much you love your fids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear you had confirmation. A sad day, but you had to know and face the issue. That way you can prevent spreading to birds outside of your house, and provide the best care to the ones you have. I'm very glad you won't be breeding..
You have had lots of good info in the other posts.
I hope the vet school will have a conversation and explain going forward with you. Them I hope you share that info with us, so we are all better informed.
So sorry man, so sorry. Really proud you are facing this head on though.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Talked to the CAV and she's not concerned with either of their health, besides being positive for ABV. I asked if I should separate them and she said no. They most likely all have it and it won't do anything to separate them. They seem pretty content together for the most part anyways I don't want to separate them. I'm not going to test any of the other birds, they probably have it and I'll just keep an eye on their health and treat as necessary. I wanted to get a cockatoo at some point but I guess I'll have to wait... oh well. at least I don't have any friends with birds to pass the illness around. It should be safely quarantined within my home.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Talked to the CAV and she's not concerned with either of their health, besides being positive for ABV. I asked if I should separate them and she said no. They most likely all have it and it won't do anything to separate them. They seem pretty content together for the most part anyways I don't want to separate them. I'm not going to test any of the other birds, they probably have it and I'll just keep an eye on their health and treat as necessary. I wanted to get a cockatoo at some point but I guess I'll have to wait... oh well. at least I don't have any friends with birds to pass the illness around. It should be safely quarantined within my home.

Your other birds may not have it, if they were never in direct contact with each other? From what I know it is pass-through fecal-oral route only if direct contact, or if cages are in direct contact like cages stacked on top of each other, or right up next to each other. It not a indirect airborne virus like some veterinary think it is, like PBFD is.

It is worth getting one of your other birds tested, you be surprise they likely don't have it as you stated they were never in direct contact with each other. As far as separating the cockatiels, or not, not sure as I know separating them may cause stress on your male Jazz, but at the same time the other Cockatiel having signs of PDD and Jazz not is what I am worry about and her being sick may cause his immune system to be weak and then no one yet 100 percent sure how PDD works? The good news is I do know it not like PBFD where it is a indirect airborne virus, it is shed through fecal oral route and requires at some point direct contact, or cages right next to each other, or very close, it just hasn't been 100% proven scientifically yet? So no one certain on how it exactly transmitted, but some have done lab testing to suggest it is fecal oral route.

Your veterinary is likely use to dealing with PBFD and assumes it works the same. I would get your other bird tested at least one and don't use the same carrier to transport them, or take apart and disinfect it really good.

What ever you do do not allow the other birds as your Conures and Budgies and Cockatiels next to each other. If they were never in direct contact with each other, they likely don't have it. Plus it a nasty disease that once it form to PDD can cause sudden death, it is only not serious when it is ABV and bird immune system is able to fight it. I know someone that lost a only 12 year old Maccaw and veterinary down played the disease, even through showing clear signs of neurological issues and die months later of PDD and yes she was on the antibodies. Your Chessie already has signs of it being PDD, it not dormant in her.

Yes birds can be carriers and not affect them the whole life and never get to PDD stage, so most don't get sick as never goes to PDD disease stage to begin with, but with Chessie it is different. The good news is doubt your other birds even have ABV if not ever in direct contact with each other, unless you keep the cages right next to each other? So don't put them next to each other assuming "they all have it, so won't matter".

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I agree with your CAV! Moving forward, quality of life counts! This virus can lay dormant for years, undetectable!
How many of us show the TB antibodies? 99% NEVER get sick! Same for Mercer(scary)!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh Jason, I'm so sorry...I kind of already knew this, but you had to be made certain of it, and now that you are you can take the appropriate steps to keep Jazz and Chessie as healthy as they can possibly be, and protect your other birds who hopefully have not been exposed to the ABV...

I'll just say this again for good-measure, you MUST boil all of the eggs, not only because you don't want to have a clutch of infected, sick chicks (their immune systems don't even develop for the first 2-3 weeks, so they would likely only suffer and die very quickly after hatching anyway if the parents have been exposed, keep in-mind that birds can actually carry the virus and not be actively infected with it), and if the parents are infected with it they just cannot put out the energy it takes to raise/feed a clutch of babies, it will surely kill them...I'm so sorry that you aren't going to get to experience this right now, but that doesn't at all mean you can't breed them later on, when you're certain you are breeding 100% healthy parents and you can keep them quarantined from before-breeding all the way through the weaning-process...So it's just a temporary delay...

***I'm only saying this due to her already exhibiting neurological symptoms, but if I were you, I would just assume that Chessie is suffering from active PDD, as outwardly displayed by the gradually progressing issue with flying. That doesn't mean she is going to die, it doesn't even mean she will experience any other outward signs and symptoms of either disease. And that's what is important that you understand about both the ABV and the PDD, that neither is a death sentence, and they don't even necessarily mean that either bird is going to become actively sick, at least not beyond the neurological symptoms Chessie is already displaying...and it's very likely that she'll slowly regain her ability to fly with control and land with control as time goes by...

It's all about keeping their overall physical and mental health in as good a place and condition as you possibly can....I would highly recommend that you start giving all of your birds a daily Avian Probiotic supplement to protect them against any Fungal/Yeast infections throughout their GI Tracts, their Sinuses and Upper Respiratory Systems, and on their external skin. Secondary Fungal/Yeast infections are extremely common in birds with ABV, as their immune systems can be the main thing that suffers...So it's all about protecting them against the most-common infections/illnesses that can arise in their situation...

And that's what I would research, exactly that...What are the most-common secondary-illnesses/infections that arise in birds with ABV, and what can I do to keep my ABV-infected birds with a high-functioning Immune Systems, and what holistic supplements are going to help to not only boost their Immune Systems, but also protect them against secondary infections/illnesses...I give all of my birds a daily Avian Probiotic once a day in the morning sprinkled on their pellets and seed-mix first thing in the morning, and noe of them have ever had any type of Bacterial or Fungal infections at all. Ever. Keeping their beneficial bacteria high is a great protective measure...But there are also others, and that's what you need to research...Google is your friend here.

Just know that everyone is here for you, we support you, and we'll do anything we can to help you and your flock...And don't think of this as the end of the road for your birds or anything of the sort, because it's not that at all...It's all about knowing they have it, which you now do, and taking the best measures you can to keep them healthy and from suffering from any Secondary issues...It's not ever the ABV that kills a bird, it's the secondary infections and issues that do, just like in human Retroviruses such as HIV/AIDS, same thing. No one dies of AIDS, they die of things like Pneumonia, Yeast Infections, Bacterial Infections, etc...Same thing here...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would ask the vet school to give you a client fact sheet on ABV, if they don't have one then it's a great project for one of the vet students. The vet school is a great resource and I would lean on them to provide you with more info.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I really feel as if we know you by now... and you know us. Please just take care and know that we're here.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
It's devastating news.. I'm soooo sorry. First dear Cheddar, now all this. I'm sure your flock will get all the love and attention it deserves. The only good side that you know it is, you can do your best to stop spreading the viruses furhter, and do do what you can to keep'em in good shape for as long as possible. I don't have any knowledge nor experience to be of a real help, all I can do is to send you good vibes and hope for the best.

OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I'm confused, did my replies get deleted?? I know I was the last to comment... weird.

Thanks everyone, yes good info, chessie is flying like before. she seems to be tip top. Keeping an eye on everything.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I have not been active on the forums lately so I've missed this post until now. My deepest sympathy goes to you and your flock Steven. This is a total tragedy, first with Cheddar and now with this news. Do your best my friend... That's all you can do.

Last edited:
OP
YUMgrinder

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I have not been active on the forums lately so I've missed this post until now. My deepest sympathy goes to you and your flock Steven. This is a total tragedy, first with Cheddar and now with this news. Do your best my friend... That's all you can do.

thanks! (P.S. My name is Jason :) )

Most Reactions

Latest posts