Ad issue

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
Is anyone else getting an ad that redirects to a page that says it needs to install critical updates to firefox? Luckily it gives a chance to cancel the download and I can go 'back' to the previous page . . . .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Is anyone else getting an ad that redirects to a page that says it needs to install critical updates to firefox? Luckily it gives a chance to cancel the download and I can go 'back' to the previous page . . . .

- What platform are you running Windows or MAC?
- How up to date is your Anti Spam, etc... Software!
- Any 'redirect' is a clear sign that are being Spammed!
- The real software owners are not going to 'redirect!/

Separately, search and find firefox official Site and check the status of your software. Update only from the original site. If you find you are being asked to pay for upgrade, you have been spammed away from the official site.

Things are getting ugly out there!!!

OP
tashawithanekkie

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
I'm on Windows. AVG and Malware are up to date and so is Firefox. It must be whatever ad service, it happens on the few other sites I've whitelisted.

Lucky for me, I'm the family's tech person, so everyone knows to check with me before they download anything. I'm not, like, super-savvy, but I know about enough to keep us pretty safe.

I'll still let the ads run here, this place is worth it.

You're right though, it is getting ugly out there.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm on Windows. AVG and Malware are up to date and so is Firefox. It must be whatever ad service, it happens on the few other sites I've whitelisted.

Lucky for me, I'm the family's tech person, so everyone knows to check with me before they download anything. I'm not, like, super-savvy, but I know about enough to keep us pretty safe.

I'll still let the ads run here, this place is worth it.

You're right though, it is getting ugly out there.

Check your blockers, you may have to reset to better limit these adds. As you know its a balancing act between blocking adds and slowing interactive sites like Parrot Forums to a level that they start to freeze-up or out and out freeze-up.

I understand what you are saying regarding this place being worth it!

I'm on a MAC and running BitDefender. Firefox is the only Search Engine that will run without fully freezing-up. A couple of add-ons to patch backdoors and its almost as smooth as three years ago when things had been safer. :D

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well answered, Steven!

It's upsetting that nowadays we have to take so many measures to fend off increasingly aggressive viruses, malware and such.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I'd also recommend uBlock Origin and NoScript addons to Firefox, NoScript is a little more involved (manually whitelisting sites) but can help prevent redirects and such.

I believe the ads are provided through Google but I don't know about that ad in particular, there used to be a way to report the scammy ones but I don't remember.

OP
tashawithanekkie

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
Cool, I'll look into those extensions, thanks! I keep trying to catch whatever ad it is before I get sent to their scam site but I haven't managed to yet. Hopefully whatever ad service it is catches on soon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Firefox has released an update in the last twelve hours (29, Sept 2017).

Check your Firefox software for available updates.

Most Reactions

Latest posts