Adding a Macaw to your home

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
Green cheek split yellow sided conure
Hi there I'm new here and just joined today. I currently have one green cheek at home who is a little over two years old. I've had several smaller bird throughout my life time and have been around larger ones but never owned one. My husband and I have been very interested in the Macaws and would love to add one to our family. Someone is home most of the day every day so our parrot(s) get lots of interaction throughout the day.

I'm not looking to buy one from a pet store and not sure if we'd like a young one. We were more interested in an older Macaw that is well socialized. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has experience! :green2:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I agree with AP94 if you don't mind getting an older Mac. Not all birds in rescue centres have issues and they are usually keen on ensuring thier birds go to permanant homes so will try to match the bird with you. I would love a Macaw... good luck

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi kiwis mom, and welcome to a great forum ,Macaws are fantastic companion birds, but they are not for everyone,there are many things to consider, cost being one, not so much the cost of the bird itself, tho depending on the species of macaw you choose it can be, but at least one large to very large cage, I use two pretty large cages, one for inside, one for outside,toys, macaws in general are big chewers so lotssss of toys, food, bigger bird, bigger appetite, fresh fruit and veggies,pellet/seed mix ect, between food and toys I spend about $250 a month on just my Macaw, clean up, again bigger bird, bigger mess....lol, and then there is the NOISE factor, some are noisier than others, but they ALL SCREAM at some point through out the day,these are just a few things to consider, now with all that I hope i haven't dissuaded you from being owned by a macaw, the best advise I can give is to do alot of research on macaws in general and also on a species you are interested in, search in your area for local bird clubs, go to a few meetings pick peoples brains that have experience with macaws, visit pet stores, not to buy, but to handle the birds, macaws can be quite intimimidating, good practice to get over any fears you may have, I see where you said you didn't intend buying your bird from a pet store, good for you, you'll only end up spending 3 times more there than you would from a breeder anyway, as for rescue birds, while I applaud the efforts of the rescues to try and place birds left in their care, many of those birds are there for behavioral problems, biting, screaming ect. maybe not a good choice for one inexperienced with large birds, i'm sure there are a million things I didn't mention but this is a start, many more will chime in.

Bob:blue1:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Definitely look into a rescue if you're looking for an older bird. Be sure to get as much information on the macaw you choose as you can. Many behavior issues can be addressed with patience and understanding. But it's probabaly going to take a lot of patience and understanding.

Bobby makes some good points. I don't want to discourage you, but please be sure you know what you're getting into. Macaws are like eternal 2 year olds who fly and chew up your cabinets. Also, species-specific personality "traits" one reads about are very broad guidelines. Just because one Scarlet macaw behaves one way, doesn't mean the next one you meet will have the same sort of behavior.

A good cage is essential; the biggest your budget and space can accommodate. You'll also need perches throughout your home, unless you want your macaw to use what's at hand - ceiling fans, lamps, etc. Again, if you or someone close to you can nail some untreated pine boards and dowels together, you can make your own for about 1/4 the price at a pet store.

Our Red-frong macaw isn't much of a chewer. Our little Alexandrine can reduce a $40 wooden toy to matchsticks in about 24 hrs. It'll take our RFM about a week. There are lots of ways to make safe, inexpensive, entertaining toys for your macaw. As for diet, we just buy extra produce when we get groceries just as if we had another person living with us. Our birds get their portion at dinner time and fruit with breakfast. Of course, they get pellets, but also get fresh sprouts a few treats and seeds.

Good luck and let us know if we can help at all.

OP
Kiwis_mom

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
Thanks for the info. Very informative. I've read alot of this online and very aware about the chewing and screaming. We are in a house and all our neighbors are a good distance away from our house so screaming wouldn't be an issue. I know with some rescues they help you pick and I'd probably pick one over the other if it had a bad screaming problem. But a normal amount is not bothersome and is expected. My green cheek goes off a couple times a day, mainly in the morning. I always try to discourage or distract him. I know theres a huge size difference between the two but I think most of the same stuff apply. My green cheek gets lots of fresh fruits, berries and nuts. As well as fresh and frozen veggies. Whole wheat pastas and breads. He LOVES pasta with sauce, scrambled eggs ( no salt ), cheese. Just to name a few of the things he enjoys. I've been really interested in making my own toys, and building some play stands and perches wouldn't be a problem. We are crafty :) I've always been more of a rescuer when it comes to animals. I'd always prefer an older animal over a pup. Little cute baby animals have no problem to find a home, it's the ones who NEED one because they have been abandoned that tug at my heart strings.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Sounds like you're doing good research. Good luck finding the right bird for you.

OP
Kiwis_mom

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
Sounds like you're doing good research. Good luck finding the right bird for you.

Thanks, I actually contacted a rescue couple days ago and have been emailing with the lady. She may have what we are looking for! We will take our time to make the right decision.

I saw a B&G Macaw the other day that someone is rehoming and it was in horrible horrible condition, I just wanted to grab it and run!!! Poor thing :mad:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Wonderful that you are doing your homework, so much goes into taking care of any bird.
Great advise, from all the members above
Good luck

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I can't wait to see! I get so excited when someone gets a new bird.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi KM and a warm welcome to you and flock (feathered and human). I am the person that usually steers people to the better places to adopt. I volunteer for a bird rescue org. and will give you some links. There is a nice Mc at the Baily foundation named Cody please take a look The Bailey Foundation: adoptions Another org. is Phoenix Landing which is primarily on the east coast http://www.phoenixlanding.org/adoption.html Then there is another one that is more in the western states called the Gabrial foundation (no link) I hope this helps. These birds need good homes like yours sounds. Please keep in touch and thanks.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwis_mom

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
Hi KM and a warm welcome to you and flock (feathered and human). I am the person that usually steers people to the better places to adopt. I volunteer for a bird rescue org. and will give you some links. There is a nice Mc at the Baily foundation named Cody please take a look The Bailey Foundation: adoptions Another org. is Phoenix Landing which is primarily on the east coast PARROT ADOPTION Then there is another one that is more in the western states called the Gabrial foundation (no link) I hope this helps. These birds need good homes like yours sounds. Please keep in touch and thanks.

Thanks very much for the links. I'm not sure how it works to ship to Canada. I am right across the border of Detroit MI over on the Canadian side. I have been looking at rescue groups in Ontario, we will definitely have to drive a couple hours if and when we decide.

Any tips on how you would bring a parrot of this size home? What you would transfer him/her in?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Any tips on how you would bring a parrot of this size home? What you would transfer him/her in?

One can buy actual travel cages for birds, however, they're just wire or plastic dog/cat carriers. So, just get a dog/cat carrier for about half the price. You can put a perch in either the wire or plastic.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Hey KM, I see you wrote where you might be getting a bird from the U.S and transporting it to Canada, while the US and CA have alot less stringent laws on importing of pet birds between our countries, ie: no special permits or long term quarentine, you might want to check with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) on what you might need, such as a vet certificate of health ect.....1-800-442-2342.
as for transport I use a collapsible dog crate, their made of metal and collapse for easy storage, I tried the plastic pet carriers but my macaw tends to destroy them in short order.......

OP
Kiwis_mom

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
Hey KM, I see you wrote where you might be getting a bird from the U.S and transporting it to Canada, while the US and CA have alot less stringent laws on importing of pet birds between our countries, ie: no special permits or long term quarentine, you might want to check with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) on what you might need, such as a vet certificate of health ect.....1-800-442-2342.
as for transport I use a collapsible dog crate, their made of metal and collapse for easy storage, I tried the plastic pet carriers but my macaw tends to destroy them in short order.......

No sorry I think you may of been mistaken, I wasn't sure IF you could do that and I don't think we will be going ahead and bringing one across the border. Good to know though, thanks so much for that information.

We have actually found a rescue a few hours away from me who has a B & G Macaw who is 9 years old.

He sounds just wonderful and like he would be a very good match!! I've got a picture here to share if you'd like to see him! I am just overly excited that we might be bringing this little guy home! :D Fingers crossed all goes well with the adoption process and maybe he will be here in the next couple weeks!! :blue1:

His name is Spike and he has a bit of a deformed beak. When he was young someone injured his beak while trying to handfeed him :17: He's been checked by the vet and this condition does not bother him at all, he's just like a regular Macaw except he will need some beak work once per year. No Biggie for us because once a year check up is good for your babies :) Don't tell him he looks a little different because he doesn't know LOL

Attachments

• spike.jpg
    spike.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 226
OP
Kiwis_mom

Kiwis_mom

Jul 1, 2010
ONT
Parrots
I've got a large metal collasping dog crate that I use for my dog. Would it be okay to use this one, clean it really good of course? DO you just put it on the backseat? We will be travelling about 4 hours back home.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I've got a large metal collasping dog crate that I use for my dog. Would it be okay to use this one, clean it really good of course? DO you just put it on the backseat? We will be travelling about 4 hours back home.

I have never traveled with a large macaw before but I would think collapsible crate would be fine. I don't usually travel with my birds for more than an hour, so I just put a soft towel on the floor of the carrier, but for 4 hours he would probably be more comfortable with a low level perch in there. The back seat is generally safest, I just put the seatbelt around the carrier and make sure part of the carrier is covered with a towel so they feel secure. If someone goes with you, it might be best for that person to sit in the back to comfort him.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Just about everything I would have said Ben did, only thing I might add is to bring along a small bowl and a bottle of water and maybe stop every hour, or at least halfway home and offer it to Spike.........we'll keep our fingers cross for ya....good' luck on the adoption process.....

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I can see that Spike is so special already. He is gorgeous!! Thank you for making a home for him. You will be well rewarded.

Most Reactions