Adding a Macaw, yes or no?

jen_

Apr 6, 2017
So Cal
Parrots
Faith my Green Wing Macaw
I currently have a Green Wing Macaw. Faith. She is 5 years old and 100% my girl. My husband is entertaining the idea of him getting one. Of course he understands that they pick the one to bond.
My question is if we add another Macaw would my Faith gravitate to the new member and want less to do with me? Has anyone had any experience in this happening?
I don't want to be selfish, but she is my baby and we both (Faith and I) like it that way.
All advice is appreciated! :red1:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
So here are the criteria for if you should get another bird.

Do you want your second bird even if:

-the new bird and the old bird hate each other and can never be allowed out of their cages safely at the same time?

-if your current bird punishes you with bites for giving attention to the new bird?

-if the two birds bond closely with each other and decide they have had enough of their human family?

No one can predict exactly how a bird will respond to a second bird being added, but if you get one you need to realize that these are all possible outcomes. Don't get a second bird if you can't handle these things happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
There are no guarantees.

It might be fantastic.

The birds might get along fabulously.

They might get along with each other so well they bond with each other and don't need people anymore.

They might be rivals/jealous of each other.

They might pinch you for paying attention to that one.

Birds are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get...

I've had multiple macaws, and it usually worked out just fine. But I'm good with them, and my birds respect the boundaries I set... so it's worked out.

Doesn't always. Can't pre-plan this stuff.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I currently have a Green Wing Macaw. Faith. She is 5 years old and 100% my girl. My husband is entertaining the idea of him getting one. Of course he understands that they pick the one to bond.
My question is if we add another Macaw would my Faith gravitate to the new member and want less to do with me? Has anyone had any experience in this happening?
I don't want to be selfish, but she is my baby and we both (Faith and I) like it that way.
All advice is appreciated! :red1:

I understand the joy of have 'your' Parrot! But, that position will work against you in the long run! Its fair to have a favorite, but if a Parrot becomes a very intense - one person Parrot, what happens when you need to go some place. The Parrot needs to be moved and quickly i.e. emergency, etc...

Socializing is critical to the happy life of your MAC and your household, etc... It also speaks to your relationships...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What is Faith's relationship to your hubby? Friend, foe, buddy or enemy?
A second parrot means 2X food 2X vet, 2X cage, 2X toys, and 2x the cleaning. Also 2X the play time, so Faith may have to settle for less. Plus all the points made above.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
As all have said, there are no guarantees.

Fortunately (unfortunately?) the Rb is so aggressive and territorial that I've never even dared to think of another bird...

Good for you for reaching out!

Good luck!

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Things went very well for us when we added Tesla to our family. He is definitely my husband's parrot but does well for me also. Our Amazon didn't show any change in her behavior, they are out of their cages at the same time with no problems. Of course they are never close enough to reach each other.
They seem to keep each other company. Like others have said, there's no guarantee. We were very fortunate that it worked out so well.

OP
jen_

jen_

Apr 6, 2017
So Cal
Parrots
Faith my Green Wing Macaw
Thank you for the comments!
Faith is getting better with my husband. She loved him when we first brought her home. He's been doing a lot of research on respecting them and moving forward on slow terms. Building trust etc. We've only had her with us for a month or so. She isn't crazy about my son and my daughter is hit and miss.
We have a great place that we can board her and have already done so and she did fine with the staff.
I'm not looking to add any other birds any time soon. I just wanted to educate myself on the pros and cons from actual folks that have them.

Thanks again!

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Hi, just be aware I found out that macaws get very jealous of each other. I bought a blue and gold a month ago, then about a week ago I bought a green wing ten years old my blue and gold is eight but any way the blue and gold went nuts and still is a bit jealous the green wing could care less.
Just know that their is a possibility that you're bird will get aggressive at first bringing in a new macaw.

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Sorry I'm new here and I didn't read the date of you're post that you already got the bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts