adopted a bg named goldie

Norbert.n.Honey

May 3, 2013
Illinois
Parrots
African Grey
So I've been looking at macaws for a while, and after Honey my african grey decided my fiancé was its owner, I got screwed out of a bird, so i was planning on getting a baby bg, but as faith would have it, i ended up rescuing a bg, from a terrible situation, when i went to look at her, she seemed aggressive, untamed and mean, but i thought id try my luck see how it goes. The guy told me Goldie is 5 but in my opinion she looks more between 10-20 years old (whats the best indicators for age?) she also started plucking, but i think like Honey with enough time she'll stop, so after i bought her home last night i decided to let her out of her cage, and see how things go, well at first she was frighten, but after a few treats she warmed up, even got to the point where she stepped on my arm and was going for my shoulder, but i was still afraid of loosing an ear, (give me time, its kinda scary) so anyways just wanted to share.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
That's great it's wonderful that you were able to rescue this poor baby. I am hoping that you are keeping Goldie away from Honey until you bring her to the vet. I too thought I was doing a great thing by rescuing a poor galah, was a plucker, was a mutilator ( I could go on and on with his issues) I kept him as far away from my other birds as possible. Brought him to the vet and he ended up having borna virus. (this disease causes many birds to pluck, mutilate etc.) I suspected it because of his many different issues. It is also contagious. This said, I think it's great that you took her just be cautious around your other bird until you get her vetted. As far as letting her on your shoulder, I would say a huge NO! LOL You don't know what she has gone through in her past and what will set her off. If you allow her on your shoulder and I don't think that macaws are good choices for shoulders then you need lots more time to be able to know her much better. Too much can go wrong up there! Blue and Golds are amazing birds, you are in for so much fun! It sounds like things are going well!

OP
N

Norbert.n.Honey

May 3, 2013
Illinois
Parrots
African Grey
ohh um.. too late, she loves being on my shoulder hahaha kinda just winged it hahaha she's wayyy more friendly now, starting to let me pet her and everything, yea vet check defiantly in order.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Many congrats on your new family member! :) No fair to tease us with a love story in the making and not giving us any pics to drool over. ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You can't tell an age of a macaw by looking at them unless they're really young or really old. At 5 or 10 years old she is still young. And please do understand the danger of having a macaw on your shoulders. Both of mine wants to be on my shoulder but I don't allow either one of them. If you have seen what they can do with their beak...

OP
N

Norbert.n.Honey

May 3, 2013
Illinois
Parrots
African Grey
so i might have a deathwish hahaha, i figured that i should rename goldie, since i dont want her to think of chicken wire when i call her over so now she's Lola, also i managed to clip her nails yesterday, this being said i have a huge gentle giant on my hands, i was prepared to loose a finger, but amazingly she just nibbled on my fingers :) i know I'm going to get criticized for being dumb, but ill take my chances, also i noticed she has more respect for me after i did it. Also for every one saying dont hold her on you shoulders, i can see why, mean she destroys her toys, but at the same time, i feel like we bond that much more.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Lola is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Seems you 2 are truly off to a GREAT start! :) You must be over the moon to have her with you. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts