Please help

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I am a young person and have loved birds since i can remember. I spent my entire childhood researching birds so i know quite a bit about them. Finally mum has agreed to let me have a pet bird and we plan on letting this bird free fly obviously only after alot of recall and free flight training. I was looking through Gumtree birds when i came across this Major Mitchell cockatoo. It's in a tiny rusty cage with absolutely no space to move. It breaks my heart to think of that cockatoo and not doing anything about it. What should i do? I've had lorikeets and budgies and as i mentioned before years and years worth of research. Would it be reckless and irresponsible of me to buy it? I've read that Major Mitchells can be bitey birds. I don't know what to do but it breaks my heart seeing those photos. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
I wish I could help, and I have done a lot of research too, but you really can't know. You don't know if the bird will eventually trust you, but there is lots of things you can try. but it hurts me too to see an abused birdie, I wish my parents would let me get lots of parrots, to adopt them.

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I wish I could help, and I have done a lot of research too, but you really can't know. You don't know if the bird will eventually trust you, but there is lots of things you can try. but it hurts me too to see an abused birdie, I wish my parents would let me get lots of parrots, to adopt them.
Yeah, the problem is mum hated seeing animals suffering and in cages and if they're in her house she feels responsible and she hates that so she might not let me get him but i really want to. Same if i could rescue every bird in the world i would

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
yes, and you probably know this but make sure if you want to have a bird outside of the cage that you birdie-proof your home😊

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
For what it's worth, my experience has been that rescuing adults is a wonderful experience, HOWEVER, I would only recommend doing so from a reputable shelter, especially if we're talking about your first big bird like a macaw or a too. Craigslist and FB marketplace are full of scams that are meant to pull at your heart strings and drain you of your money, and just as importantly, if you go to a shelter you're able to select a bird that has a good first impression of you--this gives you a HUGE leg up toward convincing the bird to trust you.

My most friendly bird is a shelter rescue. My most skittish bird, who I can almost guarantee will never step up or allow me to scritch her, is a petfinder adoption. I don't regret adopting her, and she's lovely and cute and makes the most adorable sounds, but it's a very different experience.

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
For what it's worth, my experience has been that rescuing adults is a wonderful experience, HOWEVER, I would only recommend doing so from a reputable shelter, especially if we're talking about your first big bird like a macaw or a too. Craigslist and FB marketplace are full of scams that are meant to pull at your heart strings and drain you of your money, and just as importantly, if you go to a shelter you're able to select a bird that has a good first impression of you--this gives you a HUGE leg up toward convincing the bird to trust you.

My most friendly bird is a shelter rescue. My most skittish bird, who I can almost guarantee will never step up or allow me to scritch her, is a petfinder adoption. I don't regret adopting her, and she's lovely and cute and makes the most adorable sounds, but it's a very different experience.
I dont know of any shelters near me (Perth western australia).
Also i dont really get how they could be scams if you are the one who goes there and picks up the bird and pays on the day which is the only way ive ever seen it done here.
I would always rather adopting a rescue butsince there are no shelters (that i know of), a second hand, older one is the second best thing.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I dont know of any shelters near me (Perth western australia).
Also i dont really get how they could be scams if you are the one who goes there and picks up the bird and pays on the day which is the only way ive ever seen it done here.
I would always rather adopting a rescue butsince there are no shelters (that i know of), a second hand, older one is the second best thing.
If you pay on the day, then you're probably not dealing with a scammer, you're right. A lot of listings for parrots ask for a deposit of some kind or will claim to ship the birds, I would avoid those, and I would also suggest if you do go that route that you ask to meet the bird first.

There's NOTHING quite like being "picked" by a bird. If you go to a shelter, you can wander and meet a ton of birds and evaluate their first impressions of you, and you can bring home the bird that chose YOU. That's the start of a beautiful relationship. I guess, my concern with picking up a rehome bird from an individual is that the first impression is going to be tainted by the fact that their current owner is in the room, so they're not going to give you a fair shake... and the first several weeks of any new bird always has the potential to be rocky, as birds adjust to a new environment, but if they're also mourning the loss of their owner then it'll be more complicated. Generally a shelter bird has already had some time to process that their previous home is in the past. My first bird who chose me at the shelter was so happy to be in a house again that her adjustment period was instantaneous.

Whatever you decide to do, thank you for adopting instead of buying a baby! I did find this rescue in AU although I don't know AU geography so idk if it's near Perth? https://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
IMG_0423.png

Hah! OK this one is probably not the one 😂

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
If you pay on the day, then you're probably not dealing with a scammer, you're right. A lot of listings for parrots ask for a deposit of some kind or will claim to ship the birds, I would avoid those, and I would also suggest if you do go that route that you ask to meet the bird first.

There's NOTHING quite like being "picked" by a bird. If you go to a shelter, you can wander and meet a ton of birds and evaluate their first impressions of you, and you can bring home the bird that chose YOU. That's the start of a beautiful relationship. I guess, my concern with picking up a rehome bird from an individual is that the first impression is going to be tainted by the fact that their current owner is in the room, so they're not going to give you a fair shake... and the first several weeks of any new bird always has the potential to be rocky, as birds adjust to a new environment, but if they're also mourning the loss of their owner then it'll be more complicated. Generally a shelter bird has already had some time to process that their previous home is in the past. My first bird who chose me at the shelter was so happy to be in a house again that her adjustment period was instantaneous.

Whatever you decide to do, thank you for adopting instead of buying a baby! I did find this rescue in AU although I don't know AU geography so idk if it's near Perth? https://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/
Yeah thanks ill keep that in mind
Thats true, thanks for the link ill check it out.
And thanks so much for caring, its good to know there are people who care about rescuing.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
For sure!!!! I don't tend to use the phrase "adopt don't shop" around here often, because I recognize that there are reasons to get a baby/juvenile parrot just like there are reasons to adopt. But whenever I have the chance, I sing the praises of parrot shelters because it really does break my heart how often birds are abandoned, and my first ever parrot was a shelter bird who changed my life. I feel like so many people associate shelter animals with behavioral problems and trauma, but the fact is that despite being abandoned and having years of life experience before me that I know nothing about, that first parrot I got from the shelter is my best friend and has been from day 1, by far my least skittish and most sociable bird. Anyway, good luck ❤️

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
For sure!!!! I don't tend to use the phrase "adopt don't shop" around here often, because I recognize that there are reasons to get a baby/juvenile parrot just like there are reasons to adopt. But whenever I have the chance, I sing the praises of parrot shelters because it really does break my heart how often birds are abandoned, and my first ever parrot was a shelter bird who changed my life. I feel like so many people associate shelter animals with behavioral problems and trauma, but the fact is that despite being abandoned and having years of life experience before me that I know nothing about, that first parrot I got from the shelter is my best friend and has been from day 1, by far my least skittish and most sociable bird. Anyway, good luck ❤️
Yeah its true, most people think that shelter animals are too "damaged"
Thank you ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts