Adopting a 19 Year Old Green Wing Macaw

Robinrae

Apr 1, 2013
I adopted an timneh African grey that was wild caught from a couple who had her in a Mini cage for 10 yrs and never let her out. She adapted quickly and started coming out of her cage. We then transitioned her to a much larger cage. She lived with us for 15 yrs and was a great bird! She has since passed away but she was wonderful and proved to be a very adaptable creature!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Mayden - Thank you for that tip. I hadn't thought of that. I'm hoping to wait at least a week after our visit to pick him up so I can get the house set up. I will definitely consider the air filter. Thanks again!

Robinrae - Thank you for your story. I've gotten back a lot of positive feedback from everyone so I'm very encouraged & hopeful that we can transition her to a new and better life. As long as she is happy and thriving, that will make me happy! :)

Tanya920

Apr 11, 2013
well I'm joining in the newbie group, adopting a bonded pair of gw macaws tomorrow, they are rescue parrots, so I have no history, female is in heat so they are both a little moody when I met them today. but they did take treats from my hand so that gives me hope. they were surrendered along w 30 other exotics a week ago. the previous owner fell into hard times and birds were being neglected so here's hoping i can give them the love and care they need

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Tanya - I'm sure it will work out. Just be patient with them. If you read through this thread, I was given a lot of good advice and positive feedback. There is a large amount of knowledge on this forum and everyone is so helpful! Good luck and keep us posted!

Do you own any other birds?

Most Reactions