adult vs baby

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
I've wanted an African Grey for as long as I can remember and I have found an adult for sale, a 7 year old male CAG. He is tame but does know quite a bit of profanity. What are the chances that he'll stop saying those words if he doesn't hear them anymore? Also, what are the pros and cons of getting an adult vs a baby. I have experience with conures but not larger parrots. Thanks.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
It'd be one of those things that I expect he will slip into his chatter now and then even if he doesn't hear it anymore. So if you have young children and don't want them to hear it, I'd avoid that. If there's no actual 'issue' with him saying profanities, just you'd rather he didn't then take him and just give him no attention when he says it. Adults can be just as wonderful as babies given the time :)

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Agree. I have known many birds that have lost their homes for this same reason. It really is sad. People think it is funny to teach their birds nasty words, but it really harms them for future homes.
This CAG will say these words here and there through out it's life. You can start by ignoring, walking away everytime he would say them. The quantity may decrease but expect to hear some thrown in hear and there.

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Sad that people take for granted how long they live and that, while they think it's funny at first, it will not be funny forever. Even if the bird is with them for the rest of his/her life, people need to remember that their lives may change and they may not want a swearing bird in their own home eventually.

Kind of like hearing a 2 yr old cuss for the first time because you should've been more careful about how you were talking in front of them. It might be funny the first time but you better not react your kid will be saying that word at preschool and you'll get called on the carpet for it (did not happen to us btw LOL).

OP
SunConureMom

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
Thanks. It is sad. The profanity is one reason they are getting rid of him. They have grandchildren now...
We may keep looking.

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Awwww....I hope he finds a home. :(

Mikel

May 18, 2012
My Grey says words that he hasn't heard in years. It just becomes part of his vocabulary. My experience with my Grey is that he wont say words that he doesnt hear regularly too often, but still will repeat on occasion. You wont be able to break him of the poor language entirely, but as long as you don't respond to it in a way that he thinks is rewarding to him (in other words...walk away when he does) he shouldn't use it often. Older Greys can be just as great of a pet as a young one..Especially since this one is tame already. Best of luck.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts